Author Topic: Opportunity for a young UK scriptwriter  (Read 9131 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Opportunity for a young UK scriptwriter
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:15:56 AM »
I got this email from a contact who works on the E4 series Skins for Channel 4 TV (UK). As you will see, they are looking for a young (18-23) scriptwriter to work on an online episode of the series. For more info, and to apply, see http://www.e4.com/skins/writer-mini-episode.html

Nick  :)

Hi Nick,

Hope all is well.

I’m currently working on the new series of Skins 3, and coming up to it we are looking for some of the country’s finest young talent to help us with a very special project.

E4 and Company pictures are about to go into production on an online mini episode of Skins that will coincide with the launch of Series 3 on E4. The episode will be produced by the Skins crew and will feature some of the main cast – but we’ve got four very important roles that still need to be filled. This role is part of a bigger team – it is just 1 of 4 roles available – with everything at e4.com

In order to produce this webisode we’re looking for a writer to join the team. This role will be selected and mentored by Company pictures and the person will get to play a vital role in the production of the film.

We’re looking for people aged 18 – 23 who have got the drive, ambition and most of all, talent to get involved with the UK’s biggest youth show. Maybe they’ve got similar work experience, maybe they’re studying something creative at college or uni, or maybe they just have a talent that’s clamouring to get out – these are the kinds of people we are looking for!  To find out more go to e4.com/skins.

I was hoping you’d be interested in writing information about the role on your site to help us search for new talent?
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

thatollie

Re: Opportunity for a young UK scriptwriter
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:23:43 AM »
Would it be terrible if I asked you to put in a good word for me?

I'm checking out the opportunity now.

bod

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:30:35 AM »
ageism sucks. tossers >:(

thatollie

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 04:34:42 AM »
Can I use this line in my entry please?

Offline gailnaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 04:47:50 AM »

Age should really be just a number...but it isnt!

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 05:03:09 AM »
Would it be terrible if I asked you to put in a good word for me?

Sorry, I can't do this, as it wouldn't be fair to other members of MWC who might also want to apply.

In any event, I'm sure it would make no difference - the selection process will be handled by a judging panel, and the winner will be chosen solely on the basis of the sample script entrants have to submit.

Good luck to all of you who are young enough to enter!

P.S. Feel free to say that you were 'recommended by Nick Daws to apply' if you like!

Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

thatollie

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 05:07:48 AM »
I was just kidding Nick.
By the way, do you happen to know the closing date?

I checked the site but couldn't find it.

Age should really be just a number...but it isnt!
Gail, they're trying to find young talent. Someone who they can train up and get twenty years out of.

Offline gailnaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 05:26:25 AM »

Gail, they're trying to find young talent. Someone who they can train up and get twenty years out of.

You find that easy to say ...cos you are 21? wait till you are 30 and get turned down for something you know you can give another 30 years because of your age...then i'd really like to see you smile :)

bod

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 06:15:42 AM »
wait till you're forty and you still have twenty years.

Skins is crap anyway ;D

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 06:47:26 AM »
Good luck to all the youngsters who go for it.

Me, no way, Man.  I can't even speak yoof, yet alone write it.  (Stuck in a Hippy time warp, but at least I know the word text has a 't' on the end, even when speaking.  For years T thought a 'tex message' was one sent by a Texan.)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 07:02:24 AM »
Glad you weren't offended by my comment, Ollie  :)

I don't know when the closing date is - I've asked my contact at E4, and will post any further info I get here. I don't think you'll have very long, though, as I see they want their chosen writer to make a start in mid-December.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »
I've added a post to my blog about this opportunity, which includes a video interview with a Skins scriptwriter.

http://www.mywritingblog.com/writer/2008/11/opportunity-for-uk-scriptwriter.html

Still don't know the closing date though!

Offline eric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 07:26:44 PM »
Nick, my dear fellow, do you think you could put in a word to recommend AGAINST me?  Seeing that I'm 35 years too old and couldn't write a script if it stared me in the face, I think it wouldn't be too much trouble.  Would it?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:46:04 AM by eric »

thatollie

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 08:29:32 PM »
Looks like I'll be ditching another script project to continue with the novel then.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 10:19:30 AM »
Just to let everyone know, the closing date for this contest is 6 pm on December 9th. Also, I've been asked to mention that there are competitions to find a production designer, costume designer and a director as well. See the Skins website for more info.