Author Topic: Question on pronoun usage  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Sondra

• View Profile
Question on pronoun usage
« on: April 20, 2006, 12:05:43 AM »
Is there a rule for using pronouns?

I have submitted 3 items for comment and I am getting mixed results on the use of pronouns.  True one item was confusing with which persons was speaking, but then another comment replaces almost all the female name with SHE…

So is there a rule?  I can follow rules…usually. 

S

Telcontar

Re: Question on pronoun usage
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:29:06 AM »
Hi Sondra,

I suspect that might be mine you refer to  ;D

I don't know about any rules, but I felt that once you've told us her name, Tia, and there are only two people involved at the moment, you couldn't be referring to anyone else, so 'she' is sufficient to tell us who is speaking, etc. If there was another female involved, then 'she' would be no good, you'd have to use names each time one of them spoke, or you referred to one or the other.

It's just the way it came across to me as a reader, I found the repetition of 'Tia' a bit grating, as I knew whjo was speaking.  Hope that makes sense, if there is a 'rule', no doubt someone will correct me. ;D

Dave.

Offline commatose

• Doctor! His punctuation is getting worse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 10:56:14 AM »
maybe a mix 2 to 1.

tia
she
she
tia
she
she
steve

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:51:49 PM »
OOps Sondra, think I might have done the same as Telcontar in your "Review My Work" Soreeee ::) But I have to agree with him, and commatose, if there are only two people involved there is no need to say their names all the time - that only makes the reader think that you think they're stupid (if you know what I mean ???)

Your story flows so well, it's a shame to stop it with these tiny niggles. ;D

CATHY C
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

Offline Sondra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 11:57:18 PM »
This is why I ask questions.  To make it better. 

Thank you for all your comments.

S

Offline Lynneth1310

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 06:04:03 AM »
I suggest, reading it out on a dictaphone, then play it back to yourself......??? I sympathise, I feel paralysed when I don't know how to sort these "niggles" out - I think you are right to question them though.... because these kinds of mistake jump out at editors....hope you get it sorted! x