Author Topic: Write reviews/abstracts - you will need paypal to get paid.  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Lynn

Write reviews/abstracts - you will need paypal to get paid.
« on: April 19, 2006, 05:31:37 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have just found out about this site. I haven't tried it yet. They are after reviews and abstracts of 300, 600 or 900 words.

The pay scheme seems wierd. If I can make it out, you get 10% of the advertising revenue on your page.

http://www.shvoong.com

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: Write reviews/abstracts - you will need paypal to get paid.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »
Fun to do - wouldn't hold your breath on the payment front, though! I tend to review from their 'recommended' list and have done quite a few but can't buy a bar of chocolate yet!

In fact, I get quite a lot of enjoyment out of this because it makes me think about lots of books I haven't read in a while and I get to share my thoughts  - and I usually do all this when I'm stuck in a rut with my own stories. That way, I feel like I'm still 'writing' and it's a great stress-buster.

Symphony

Offline Peter.Seattle

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 12:27:36 AM »
Quoting from their website :
  " Shvoong shall pay each provider of Content 10% (ten percent) of the gross Royalties actually received by Shvoong in respect of pages upon which Content appears. Shvoong shall calculate this 10% (ten percent) in relation to the number of individual users who enter pages on which a piece of Content has been posted".

note libeal use of "weasal words" --  ie to wiggle out of paying ANYTHING.
  "actually received" -- vs billed ??  non-auditable ??
   "respect of pages upon which Content appears" -- what the heck does this mean ??
    "relation to the number of individual users ... " -- what relation is that, Bubba??

Anyway, I think it could be fun but would wager large sums of $USD they ain't never paid a dime to anybody, anytime,  anywhere.

Narnian Prince

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 05:00:32 AM »
Hi Lin!  :)

I've come across the Schvoong site a number of times over the last couple of years.  I was really attracted to the idea of making some cash for reviews in my spare time.  However, one of our customers warned me off such sites.  It's not that they're not legit, they probably are - somewhere down the line.  But the warning I got was about identity theft and how hackers and other nasty little busy bodies will use ANY personal information that you put online.  He very strongly advises NOT to use ANY credit cards, paypal or any other system online that requires personal or banking information.

As such ANY purchases I make for products that I see online are done strictly via cashier's cheque or money order.  There are some sites that won't accept this method and I am out of luck but I feel safer.  Ditto goes for any sites offering to pay me but require my banking or other personal info.  Better to be safe now than very sorry later, I guess.  I'm sorry if this sounds a tad on the paranoid side but when my customer relayed info about someone using his credit card in Australia while he was actually in Canada, it was really something.  He had to fill out a very extensive report to the police and close and reopen all his bank accounts.  They still never caught the perpetrator but now this gentleman does us all a favour by advising everyone against the practice.

What about E-bay and other sites that make claims and "guarantees"?  Don't touch them, he says, you don't really have an iron clad guarantee that you'll be safe.  I hope this helps.  Have a great day!  :)

Chris