Author Topic: For Lee - The Confession  (Read 2455 times)

Offline *Lorraine*

• The sun always shines in Cognito-by-the-Sea
For Lee - The Confession
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:23:10 PM »
The Confession

Dear Reader

Have you ever given away something precious in order to possess what you want most in the world?  I have.  I sold my soul for revenge.  Sweet, satisfying revenge.

The first time was soon after my marriage.  William applied for promotion at the brewery; he’d insisted that we shouldn’t try for a baby until he could afford to keep us.  He stood a good chance of getting it too but some chap with the gift of the gab got it instead.  Talked his way into the job.  He got in the way of me having my baby.  I felt angry and cheated so I turned to great uncle Jack for help: the seventh son of a seventh son.  Jack warned me of the price I’d have to pay but still I followed his instructions.  I went home, closed my eyes, concentrated hard and said “I hate thee, I loathe thee, I despise thee”.  A few days later the new chap started taking time off work and then William came home one day and said, “Guess what?  He’s got cancer of the tongue, they say the tumour will have to be cut out and the poor bloke won’t be able to speak properly ever again.”

William got the promotion, a pay increase and a year later we had our daughter, Rebecca.  Retribution is mine.

The second time was after Rebecca started school.  I took a part-time job with the corporation; filing, typing, that sort of thing and there was this woman who worked on the floor above.  No one said as much but you could tell everyone was scared of her by the way they jumped when she said so.  She’d march down the centre of the corridor, heels clacking, and whenever she entered our office she always stood right next to my desk, hanging around, listening to our conversations.  Ear-wigging everything we said then reporting us to the boss and getting us into trouble.  One lunchtime, after a telling-off, I slipped out of the main entrance and headed for the gate.  I sat on a nearby bench, closed my eyes and said “I hate thee, I loathe thee, I despise thee”.  The woman looked healthy enough but news soon spread round the offices that her hearing was deteriorating very quickly and the diagnosis was bad.

She’s totally deaf now and living alone on disability allowance.  Retribution is mine.

The next time, the most recent time, was when Rebecca left school.  She’d been helping with the kiddies at the nursery for nearly six months, voluntarily.  Then the perfect job came up and she was so excited because the nursery manager took her aside and suggested that she should apply, suggested that it was hers for the taking.  She put everything into that interview.  They offered the job to an outsider, the trustees did.  Trustees?  They’re the last people on earth that I’d ever trust.  Their leader was an ex-policeman.  He looked it too; tall and broad shouldered with that annoying air of authority resting under his nose like a superior smell.  I told Rebecca he must be a heartless man to let her down like that.  Later, alone in the scullery, I closed my eyes and said “I hate thee, I loathe thee, I despise thee”.  They say the bigger they are the harder they fall, which was certainly true in his case.

A massive heart attack, apparently.  Retribution is mine.

Now, Dear Reader, you have read my confession.  I know I am doomed but I have tried to lighten my heavy heart, to cleanse my guilty soul.  You have sucked my spidery scrawl from the page with your eyes and because you know the very worst of me, the horror of my sins, I’m forced, unfortunately, to say that I hate thee, I loathe thee, I despise thee.  Sadly, your vision will soon start to blur then gradually shrink and dim until you see nothing but the darkest dark for the rest of your days.

Blindness is your destiny.  Retribution, and an eternity in hell, is mine.
( ) ( )
(>'.'<)
(")  (") 

Rabbit Welfare Fund : Because Rabbits Deserve Better

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
Re: For Lee - The Confession
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:49:10 PM »
YAY!
Lorraine,
This is such a delightful story. I enjoyed it more this time than I did the last, you did a superb job on this one! Kudos to you.

Your friend,
Lee

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »
 I enjoyed reading it again alos Lorraine.

Thanks for the chance.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

skip slocum

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:52:21 PM »
Ha this was nice to read, But, but, wait I, whew i couldn't see anything but gray for a sec till i got my shirt all the way on. you had me going. grins.