Author Topic: Toucan Moon--continued  (Read 3451 times)

Offline ZooDoc

• "War Star Rising!" tells about an END to violence.
    • zoodoc stories
Toucan Moon--continued
« on: April 19, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »
(picking up the story:  "Legend of Toucan Moon")

“Um, Professor Sandoval, was there ever a time when human sacrificing was banned, or something?”

With that question lingering, class ends.

That sunny afternoon finds Professor Sandoval at San Diego Zoo (in a brown suit and blue tie) single-handedly filming a documentary with a Panasonic shoulder-mount camcorder, describing what he sees as he aims at elephants, giraffes, silverback gorillas and black swans. 

“San Diego Zoo is rich with fauna and flora of all types.  A day-tour proves to be quite exhilarating and educational.  As we enter the Animal Nursery...[entering] ...we see many tables and shelves and cages of animals...some are newborns, but mostly we see older animals convalescing after an injury or illness or surgery…. We now enter the department designated Surgery...[entering]…and see a surgical table...and, ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys, we just happen to be privileged to witness the famous...[focuses on her]…Dr. Xiuhsana Zamora, or ZooDoc as she's affectionately called, as she and her two esteemed colleagues seem to be right in the middle of a caesarian delivery of a baby leopard.”

Xiuhsana:  “Actually, it’s a jaguar.”

“Oopse!  I stand corrected.”

“Many people have difficulty differentiating the jaguar from the leopard.  The leopard, or Panthera pardus, is spotted and slender, and ranges from Africa to Asia, whereas the Panthera onca, or jaguar, is also spotted but stockier, has a more rounded head and ranges throughout the tropical Americas.”

“Thank you for that clarification.  What a privilege it is to capture this special event on video!”

He focuses on her face as she announces:  “May I just say that we’re the privileged ones...to be visited by the eminent professor, Joaquin Miller Sandoval, Mr. History Freak himself.”  She looks into his camera.  “But, most of all, we’re privileged to be visited by all of you!”

Joaquin:  “I see something happening.”

“Well, well, well, what have we here?  A little blackie!  I think I’ll name this little guy Ebed-Melech.”

“H-m-m-m, biblical.  An Ethiopian court official in the days of Jeremiah the Prophet, no less.”

“Score one for the professor!”  Still holding the newborn, Xiuhsana announces to the camera:  “This is the first black jaguar, born at the San Diego Zoo in 15 years.  Can you tell I’m excited?  I know this sounds a bit bizarre, but I have a weird feeling as I’m holding this kitten, a kind of special attachment.”

(Chanters:  “XUKA!”  But nobody hears it.)
Joaquin:  “Really?  Something to do with your ancestry, maybe?”

“What do you mean by that, Professor?  A racial slur, by any chance? ... Just kidding.”

“Well, if I’m not mistaken, don’t you have a little Mayan blood in you, Doctor?”

“I don’t see what that...”

“In my experience, indigenous people are generally more nature-connected, if you know what I mean.”

She places the kitten in the waiting hands of her female assistant, and says to male assistant in an abrupt voice:  “I’m finished.  Go ahead and suture her.”

Xiuhsana removes her mask and gloves and exits the surgical ward, as Joaquin trails along into her office, filming.  “Can you turn that damn thing off?”

“I’m doing a documentary, for heaven’s sake!”  He rests camcorder on his hip, and shuts the door.

She plops in a chair.  A pet toucan flies from its perch and lands on her desk.  She feeds it seeds from the deep pocket of her white smock, then removes her cap and shakes out full, gorgeous black hair, as the toucan flies back to its perch.  “It’s supposed to be a documentary about the zoo, right?”

“I know, I know.”

“So what’s up with that crack about ‘indigenous people’?”

“I was just trying to give flavor to the interesting people who work here at the zoo.  Do you have a problem with that?”

Xiuhsana shuffles papers on her desk  “Sandoval, I don’t want the focus to be on me, that’s all.”

He sits on the edge of her desk. “Xiuhsana, as far as I’m concerned, this whole documentary should be about you.  If it weren’t for you, where would this zoo be?  I mean, with your expertise in animal husbandry and all.”

“This zoo isn’t about me at all, nor is it just about animal husbandry, Juaquin!  It’s about...”

“Oh, wait. I’ve heard this speech before:  ‘It’s about community and responsibility and teamwork and business management’ and a whole bunch of other junk.  But I believe that the common people who support this place come here because they want to see exotic but healthy, well-cared-for animals.  And who’s responsible for making sure that these animals are healthy and well cared for?”

“Joaquin, we’ve been over this a hundred times.  You’ll always have your opinion and I’ll always have mine.  So can we change the subject?”

“Okay, did you get my e-mail?”

“E-mail?  When?”

“2:30 this morning.  Didn’t you get my message?  I had this terrible nightmare." 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 10:56:52 AM by ZooDoc »
ZooDoc, "Sculptor of Words"
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

sjreed56

Re: Toucan Moon--continued
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »
Aw, Dr. Xiuhsana Zamora is ZooDoc. Great story. Keep posting. ~ Sherry

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 12:58:04 PM »
To quote Professor Sandoval to his students:  "Bingo!"  In the next segment, they fly to Belize and we're getting closer to the scary part.   O-o-o!   :o  Thanks for liking my story.  ZD
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »
See Sherry, in the beginning of the story "History Freak" is e-mailing "ZooDoc."  Snuck that one past ya!   ;D

sjreed56

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 01:44:07 PM »
Well, that is actually what I thought, but I also thought you were IN the story and figured you were a guy. – Only because of previous post and the language you used. You can’t tell by your picture which one you are.  When you said that wasn’t you, I thought you had to be Xiuhsana Zamora. – But it’s coming together.

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 05:30:48 PM »
I have always loved foreshadowing and planting tidbits in my stories that give "realization" to the reader.  It lets you use your inteligence in piecing the story together...connecting the dots.  I do that throughout Toucan Moon.  Every time you read it you'll learn (connect the dots) something new.  I especially love MOVIES that are filled with foreshadowing and hints of details so that you have to see the show three times before you fully realize all the details.  ("National Treasure" is an excellent example of what I'm talking about.)  Good for the box office, too!  Those are the movies you want to see over and over again.  Hopefully Toucan Moon will be made into a movie some day.  That is, if I can get Misters Spielberg, Cameron, Eastwood or Howard to take on such a challenging project.  (Mel Gibson is in the editing and early trailer phase of a new movie set in ancient Mayan times of Yucatan, Mexico, called "Apocalypto," but I think he'd exploit the violence in my story, so I won't sell it to him.  I do draw the line when it comes to excessive blood and gore!)  Sherry, if you can put in a good word for me over at DreamWorks I'd be much obliged!!!  Tell Steve I'm waiting for his call-back.  Ron (aka ZooDoc)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 05:34:31 PM by ZooDoc »

sjreed56

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 08:08:22 PM »
O…kay..? Who am I to influence DreamWorks?  What is DreamWorks?  - And who is Steve?

It’s encouraging to see that you aiming high.

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 10:47:46 PM »
Steven Spielberg's movie production company is called DreamWorks in L.A.  But hey, "If you're GONNA dream, dream.......

BIG!

Right?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:50:10 PM by ZooDoc »

sjreed56

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 11:59:31 PM »
I don’t know much about film.–Obviousely. But you are dreaming if you think I have connection over there. ~ Sherry

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 01:57:41 AM »
Oh rats!  I was hoping you would be my shoe-in for the big times.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to just keep dreaming.  And writing.  Tell me what you wrote and posted here recently so I can look it up and give you my sterling, rave review.  Which reminds me, do you have any constructive crit for me on this segment of TM?  I'm open for kinder, gentler pointers.  ZD

sjreed56

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 09:59:49 AM »
I’m afraid I can only tell you what I like. I’m a novice writer wannabe. You can check out My Heart’s Tears, For your review, please, Opening Scene, and The Prison of my Mind on “Review My Work” if you want a sample of where I am.

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »
ZooDoc,
Like sjreed56, you got me too on the ZooDoc thing.  :-\ Getting used to your style of writing now and loved the new segment, particulary liked your use of dialogue. I could almost visualise the two characters talking. Can't wait till they get to Belize.

CATHY C
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 11:55:19 AM »
Thanks, Sherry.  Looking forward to reading some of your schtuff.  I know it'll be good.  You always say so much in so few words, much like poetry.  Will let you know when I get to read it, okay?  Oh, and how's your turkey?  (PJ)  Later on.  You know who!

Thanks, CC, for the PM.  I always appreciate the story-behind-the-story.  But I discovered that you can't "underline" in "red" so maybe you could do like I did here.  I highlighted just the one parenthetical and clicked "change color" to "red" then did the same to the other parenthetical.  If you ever find something questionable or would like to try an alternate word or phrase, please have at it.  Then maybe a separate explanatory comment.  That would be great.  I really do  (value your comments).  Thanks!  ZD 

Yes, thank you all veddy, veddy much!

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 01:31:36 PM »
Hey CC, thanks for the e-,   :)  That was extremely helpful and encouraging.  I had heard that some authors were getting their screenplays published because they read so well.  (Not all do.)  And that some were converting their screenplays to a novel.  So decided to try my hand at it.  I'm definitely going to have to look that ref up.  Thanks again.  ZD