Author Topic: X-Factor Syndrome?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Glat

• View Profile
X-Factor Syndrome?
« on: December 17, 2005, 08:40:52 AM »
We've all seen them. It's quite apparent that they have very little talent and most cannot even sing. Everyone can see that - apart from themselves that is. I am of course talking about the hopefuls on The X-Factor. The thing that surprises me most is that they genuinely believe they can sing and appear almost devastated at suggestion they can't. Poor deluded fools.

I wonder how far from this situation a lot of unpublished writers actually are. Plugging away with submissions, certain that one day the right person will pick up our work and discover the talent that we undoubtedly posses.

How do we actually know that we are not the literary version of these poor unfortunates that grace our television screens every Saturday evening? How do we know that we are not just wasting our time? From my experience there is precious little indication from agents/publishers to help us make this decision. The number of agents with "full lists" makes me wonder how any new writers ever get published. But perhaps this is just my experience. Four publishers and sixteen agents can't all be wrong, can they? Wouldn't it be wonderful if instead of a standard one line response, they took 2 minutes to give a brief, genuine reason for the rejection? This is of course a pipe dream, as even the smallest agencies can get over 100 submissions per week - poor souls! But don't you dare send it to more than one at a time! That just wouldn't do, no, no. Even if they take over 3 months to put it back in your stamp addressed envelope with nothing more than a cursory glance. >:( It does all seem a bit one sided.

I would love to hear other people's experiences, good or bad. Perhaps from this I will discover that my treatment is due to the poor quality of my work - and I can officially be labelled as a sufferer of "X-Factor syndrome." ;D

« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 08:57:08 AM by Glat »

Offline Wigglyworm

• View Profile
Re: X-Factor Syndrome?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 04:03:58 AM »
As I'm living in France at the moment and no Brit TV I've not seen X-Factor.

Still, the point you are making is why I registered with 'my Writers Circle'.  I don't think I'm a literary genius, far from it.  What I do hope for is some honest opinions on what is right or wrong with my writing.

I have said before in my hello to the site, I've been writing for a long time.  Yet publication has only been in my mind as it was planted there by someone else.  I'm kind of shy in the real world, to let someone read my writing is a big deal to me.  I'd never put myself up for open criticism like those poor misguided souls on x-factor.

The contestants at the very worst have been naive, these TV bosses don't want them to be fabulous.  They want to show how they are the miracle workers, not that they have found someone amazing that they couldn't improve.  It makes good TV.
If you can't be a sun, don't be a cloud.

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • View Profile
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 11:32:22 AM »
I have seen excerpts from the X-Factor and am amazed at the level of self deception some contestants have. I truly feel for them. There can only be one of two reasons they continue to live in the belief that they actually have a modicum of talent. First, they are so bull-headed that they will proceed no matter what anyone says, no matter how many say it. (This can be a good trait, but not when it comes to live entertainment). Second, the feedback they get is from family or friends who don't want to hurt their feelings. I am sometimes concered about being afflicted with this disorder but, luckily, I get my feedback from writers who know the value of truth. I always put my work up for critiques and have had some pretty thorough reviews. I am confident that, if I were unskilled or lacked imagination or a writers voice, I would see it coming back at me. I am not published yet, save for one lonely little poem, but judging by the reviews I get, the odds are I will be. Would I give up if all I had was negative feedback? Eventually I would pursue another dream, one where I could experience a win once in a while, among all the losses.

Offline goldanon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 10:40:16 AM »
I guess it's all quite different on this side of the pond - there are tons of untalented people, including singers, who make it BIG.  One of your compatriots started a show here that is similar (probably derived from) the show you describe; it's called American Idol.  Many, many untalented singers have gone on to great pubic acclaim and riches from that show.  In fact, even a couple of really bad, awful, downright hilariously awful singers have made a quick flash-in-the pan success and fortune from it.
As for us miserable writers, if you are willing to put that much effort into something you're bad at, you're likely to make money at it regardless of talent.  And if that's the case, if you really ENJOY it, then you've just found a way of making a living that you enjoy - and that's the greatest success you can possibly have in my eyes.  And talent is a rather subjective anyway, no?   I don't know a mother who doesn't see talent in all their children.  Success is not.
BTW, have you tried American agents?  With the internet it seems that it wouldn't be much harder for an Englishman to work with an American firm nowadays than it would be for me to work with one, and it would give you a whole bunch more to choose from.

Offline chillies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 11:12:08 AM »
You musn't compare yourself with these x-factor halfwits. These people have only one thing on their mind stardom. With stardom comes money and power- at least for a little while, because the vast majority of these whannabee stars disappear faster than they appear. True talent will always shine through and one day I'm sure you will have lasting fame. Also, you, I and eveyone on this site knows that you have to work hard to achieve your goal. You have to accept rejection and grow a thick skin safe in the knowledge that with perseverance comes achievement.

chillies