Author Topic: Writing Tips Contest  (Read 10199 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Writing Tips Contest
« on: October 01, 2008, 12:42:04 PM »
I have just launched a competition for original writing-related tips on my blog. Tips must be under 250 words, and there are two prizes of a year's subscription to the online spelling and grammar-checking service SpellCheckPlus Pro for the winners.

For full details, please see my blog post at the URL below:

http://www.mywritingblog.com/writer/2008/10/writing-tips-competition.html

Good luck!

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Nelodra

Re: Writing Tips Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 05:42:57 AM »
And no one has submitted a writing tip yet???

Well, I think I will - just need to come up with a good one. :D

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:29:33 AM »
And no one has submitted a writing tip yet???

Well, I think I will - just need to come up with a good one. :D

I look forward to it - right now any tip submitted in this contest is guaranteed to win a prize!

Nick  :D
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Nelodra

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
You know, Nick - I know it sounds funny - but I'm not even interested in winning a prize.  :D

To me, it's the sheer fun of entering the competition that would make it worthwhile for me.  :)

Time to get cracking on that Golden Tip.
I think I already know something - a technique I've been using ever since I was a child, and which came to me completely naturally.

Edit: I think I just submitted my writing tip; I'm not entirely sure though, as you've got comment moderation on, so it didn't show up yet.
I hope you'll let me know if you didn't receive it. I've got it saved to my computer so I could always submit it again.  :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 01:54:32 PM by Nelodra »

Nelodra

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:50:38 PM »
Oooops!
There's all kind of funny characters in my writing tip.  :-[

What happened? Looks like Blogger hates Word, doesn't it?
I sure didn't put those funny characters there.
How embarrassing.  :-[

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 04:28:28 PM »
Thanks for being the first to enter my contest, Leah  :)

Sorry about the odd characters that appeared in your tip. It happens when you use 'smart quotes' and other characters such as dashes in Word, and then copy and paste the text into Blogger - I've done it a heap of times myself. Unfortunately Blogger doesn't allow me to edit comments either (as a blogging platform it has its shortcomings...).

Here's my best suggestion. I've pasted a revised version of your tip below, with all the Word formatting stripped out. Just create another comment on my blog and copy/paste the text below - it should then show up without any weird characters in it. I will then delete the earlier version you posted. Does that make sense?

Thanks - Nick

COPY OF TIP FOLLOWS

Dream up your Story

I'm sure you're familiar with the advice to have little notebooks and pens in every room of your house. In the bathroom, on your bedside table And here I'm going to tell you to not use them. Not with this technique, which I've been using successfully ever since I first started writing as a child.

When you go to bed, don't count sheep. Think about your story. Dream about your main character while you're still awake. Dream while you're in that twilight zone between wakefulness and sleep - but don't reach for your pen and paper; it will disrupt the flow of your dream. Dream about what's going to happen until you fall asleep.

When you wake up, still half asleep, pick up your dream where you left it last night and allow yourself to dream for just a little while longer. Then, when you're finally fully awake, grab pen and paper and write it all down.

You can also use this technique when you're taking a nice long hot bath, or in the car on a two-hour drive to your grandparents up North... Just make sure you're in the passenger seat.

SuzieHarris

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 05:35:13 AM »
Nick,

I sent a tip in, even though it proves I'm a bit of an airhead at times!c(well, most of the time actually hehe - and you have met me so you know it's true lol.)

Suzie x

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 06:42:33 AM »
Thanks, Suzie. Good to see the entries are rolling in now...

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »
Just a quick reminder - when posting your competition entries on my blog, try to avoid using 'smart quotes' and other special characters from Word, as they won't display properly online. It's best really to compose your tips in the Blogger comments box, or alternatively use a text editor such as Notepad and copy and paste from that.

Offline Hugh

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 04:58:01 AM »
Hello Nick

Like Leah's, my tip is almost unreadable, as it has quite a few quote marks and contractions in it.  Can you please delete it?  I'll try again, typing straight into the box. Google has also come up with a name I used ages ago when I tried blogging, but which I didn't put on my entry for your comp.  Bloody computers -- why won't they do what you want them to?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 06:02:54 AM by Hugh »

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 06:33:38 AM »
No problem, Hugh. I'll delete it now.

Nelodra

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 06:43:15 AM »
Thanks for being the first to enter my contest, Leah  :)

Sorry about the odd characters that appeared in your tip. It happens when you use 'smart quotes' and other characters such as dashes in Word, and then copy and paste the text into Blogger - I've done it a heap of times myself. Unfortunately Blogger doesn't allow me to edit comments either (as a blogging platform it has its shortcomings...).

Here's my best suggestion. I've pasted a revised version of your tip below, with all the Word formatting stripped out. Just create another comment on my blog and copy/paste the text below - it should then show up without any weird characters in it. I will then delete the earlier version you posted. Does that make sense?

Thanks - Nick

COPY OF TIP FOLLOWS

Thanks Nick, I'll do that.

Should have done it yesterday already, but I spent all day and night working on a story. I was seriously wasted by the time I went to bed (which was around 3 AM!  :o )

Blogger... yes, it has its shortcomings, but I still like it way better than Wordpress.  :)
I recently starting creating custom templates for Blogger - now that's fun!

BTW: I understand that when you're using Blogger with your own domain, you can only use classical templates, and I was wondering, can you customize the html of those too?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 06:52:00 AM by Nelodra »

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 07:56:03 AM »
Nick,

I edit comments for a three times a week e-zine. I have to use Dreamweaver for that because that's what the boss says. Dreamweaver doesn't like Microsoft (which I believe is entirely reciprocated) and all the fancy things Word does makes the Adobe program weep.

The easiest way to make sure everyone's writing gets into the e-zine without looking like it was written by aliens is to first run it through my emailstripper program. It's free. It's here.

Hope this helps
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 10:01:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Patti  :)

If you just need a 'quick-and-dirty' tool for removing smart quotes and such like, this web-based service works very well. And yes, it's free too.

http://www.hochmanconsultants.com/tools/replace-smart-quotes.shtml

It doesn't convert all of Word's non-ASCII characters - ellipses just get deleted, for example - but I still find it a very handy tool.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 10:07:07 AM »
Thanks for re-posting your writing tip, Leah. Everything is looking good now. Just need Hugh to get round to re-posting his tip after I deleted the original version.

I'm sorry I don't really know the answer to your question. The design of my blog is handled by my sponsors, WCCL, rather than me personally. I'm pretty sure they have customized the basic templates, but how and to what extent you'd need to ask them (i.e. Karl).

P.S. I see Hugh has now re-posted his tip, so everything is hunky-dory. Some great tips there already. Anyone else like to join in the fun?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 10:12:19 AM by Nick »