Author Topic: New writers  (Read 3559 times)

Offline deanerbeaner

New writers
« on: January 12, 2006, 12:59:24 PM »
I am wondering if anyone knows how to get some brutally honest feedback on my writing. I have never had any of my work critiqued, and I just want to know if I am wasting my time or is it okay for me to hold on to some hope of becoming a writer some day.

Lin

Re: New writers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 01:01:54 PM »
You could put some of your work on the review page and we promise to be gentle with you or brutal if you want it that way.  All the best

Lin

Offline deanerbeaner

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
It's not a gentle world, so I'd prefer brutal. At least I'd know the truth, right? :)

Lin

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 03:09:19 AM »
Yes sure just do it,  but dont be too hard on yourself, our members will give you an honest opinion - believe me!!

Just take a look at the other comments and you will see how they have done this.   If you dont want everyone to see it and would prefer a one to one why not send a one page synopsis of the story to either myself or Suzie who is presently editing my book for me.  Its surprising how in the first opening lines we can tell if someone has the talent and if not we can teach you through the forum.  Our e-mail addresses are on our profiles and the little envelope at the side of the messages.

Good luck.

All the best

Lin

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 10:35:23 AM »
Hi Deanerbeaner, Post your work. I'd love to see it, and critique it. Honesty is the key to all good crits. Brutality works also, as long as it is constructive. As to wasting your time writing? Nonsense. If you write, you are a writer. We all are newbies, just at different levels. I've been doing , and receiving, crits for the last 5-6 months and have learned a tremendous amount, both about writing and about doing crititques. Yes, I'm a barely published newbie. It took ages for me to discover that I love to write, and will do so published or not. So post your work, critique a few works, dive in and join the club. See you in print  ;D Aelf

Offline morgs

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:10:30 PM »
hi i am trying to write a novel... i compete most of all, but want to know how to fix things up in the story, is there a way i can send a copy of my work it's not in chapters for i don't know how to put them in chapters... by the way my name is Morgan... i need some feedback before i compete finish this book... and i don't either have a title just yet...

Lin

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 09:11:22 AM »
I suggest you post something short a synopsis perhaps of the story on the Review forum and you will gain some feedback from the members

Lin

Offline writingfriend

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 12:45:44 AM »
Hello,

I have a couple of suggestions for you. One, you could send us a submission of your work. I am one of the editors of Long Story Short (www.longstoryshort.us) and we'd be happy to look it over for you. We also have a school, should you need some help in a certain area. LSS School of Writing (www.lsswritingschool.com) I personally have a private writing forum if you are interested in trying. If you are, you can email me at writingfriend@lewistown.net

In any event, I wish you the best of luck with your writing. I know it's difficult to get your work out in the public. Long Story Short is a great place to do that. We even help those writers we feel need some special help. We've helped many new emerging writers achive their writing goals.

Linda

Offline chillies

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 04:37:48 AM »
Hi morgs, chilies here.

You can always send a sample of your work to this site, there is always someone who will look at it and help out.  Also you could get the course that I bought: Write any book in 28 days - written by Nick. You may have heard mention of it here and there on this site.  I don't usually advertise such things, but I'll make an exception in this case because it works. It has a section about chapter construction and a section about constructing a title for your work that will grab the reader and, more impotantly perhaps, the editor first. Most of all, it really doesn't cost that much, and in my opinion is worth every penny escpecially if you intend to be a full time writer. I'll take my salesman's hat off now and wish you all the best with your work whatever you decide to do.

chillies