Author Topic: If I could... [Repost]  (Read 2236 times)

StrayDog

If I could... [Repost]
« on: September 12, 2008, 12:01:27 PM »
If I could just don my coarse grey overcoat and saunter down to the forest. Where the wind whistles through the trees, cracking branches together. If I could grasp a low lying branch with calloused hands and pluck a bestseller from the bough.

If I could just stroll into the corner store and buy a can of characters, a raw breast of plot and some setting wraps. Then go home and start the oven. Warming myself and watching as it cooks.

If I could sit in the shade, making a daisy chain of events. Letting nature grow me more as I need them.

Where's the fun in that?

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
Re: If I could... [Repost]
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:02:31 PM »
I've read that before--always liked it.  Good images.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline DylanKerrBalkind

• Snippets Of Life
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:56:50 AM »
I like I like!! :)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 07:49:52 AM »
NIce one.  It might be nice the first time, but the novelty would soon wear off.  It would be like a sculptor dialling all the cross sectional views into a computer guided tool and then going off for a pint or several whilst the machinery grinds a block of marble into a statue.

It just wouldn't be yours.

But some people - even if they try - will never understand this ;-(

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Christopher Silva

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 04:59:54 AM »
Ollie, this is a nice start but should be more. Come on now-- "cracking branches together."

You're better than the above mentioned weak spot. A short piece like this has to be stronger. Get the thesaurus out and re-think that bit.

Great idea.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 05:50:53 PM by Christopher Silva »

StrayDog

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:29:14 AM »
Come on now-- "cracking branches together."
You're right. I should have gone with "clacking sturdy offshoots synchronously."

Offline Margarett

• Our teardrops fall and water our soul!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:47 AM »
So if i get this right, let me see.

To have a work that you are proud of, you need to put in a lot of effort and time, muscle and tears into it.

Not wham bam thank you  mam it.

I agree. Where is the fun in having it all done for you. Then it is not yours.  You should have just went and bought a book to read. Cheaper that way. Way less headaches too.
Dance in the raindrops. Slide down a rainbow. Make our world a more beautiful place. Keep a smile handy and give them away.
After all they are free!  " SMILE "