Author Topic: Thirteen Curves (Part 3 of 3)  (Read 3273 times)

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
Thirteen Curves (Part 3 of 3)
« on: August 17, 2008, 02:26:24 AM »
Upon moving to New York state I had to make a fresh start. I had no friends and, because we moved at the beginning of summer, I had to stew for close to two months before beginning school. Within that time I occupied myself with reading. Mostly Science Fiction and Fantasy, with the occasional horror tale mixed in.

When school began I was in for culture shock being a Southerner in "enemy territory". You would have thought I had moved there from Russia judging from the odd stares I got on a daily basis. My first school year in New York was hell, until people found out that I had a car and a SC drivers license.

See, at that time in upstate NY you had to drive with a daytime permit until you were seventeen. Even then you had to have a parent present. I had the ability to invade the nighttime roads legally unhindered by adult supervision.

Immediate friendships flourished and I found myself with a nifty circle of com-padres in just a few weeks. During the weekends and on vacation my circle's favorite pass time was to travel the dark country roads and try to scare each other with ghost stories. This was when I heard first tell of Cedarvale Road and the Bride of Thirteen Curves.

My first time within the gorge was an anxiety filled trek for I had to pay close attention to the dips and turns as not to lose control of my 1982 silver Honda hatchback Accord. One of my friends droned on in my right ear with the haunting tale but my concentration was squarely fixed on the road in front of me. I barely made out the details of the story and had to have it repeated upon reaching the end of Nine Mile gorge.

When driving back through and I reached the seventh curve, my car seemed to sputter as if it could feel the ominous history attached to the hairpin hell. I too felt a cold chill run down my spine sending adrenaline into my extremities and making my arms and legs ache with a dull throbbing pain. But, was it pain of over-stimulation or spirits from the past reaching from behind the veil of time and touching my soul?

Whatever the cause all my teenage body registered was shear excitement. I lost count how many times we ran that gorge that year. Although we never caught a glimpse of the tirelessly searching groom or his beloved Anna, the rush never ceased. Thirteen Curves remained our favorite destination.

Randy Thompson was one of my first real close friends. He was a huge guy of behemoth height and was built like a college football linebacker. During my junior year my circle of GHOSTRIDERS decided it was time to initiate Randy into the group. Our routine was simple but brilliant. We would run the curves and feign engine trouble right before the fated seventh curve. I had a nifty trick with my old Accord where I could nudge the key in the ignition and it would kill the engine without having to take it out of gear. I would pop the hood and leave the others in the car with our new initiate. Anyone who has ever pulled a prank knows this one is a classic.

While behind the hood I would let out a yelp, kick the front bumper a few times, and "disappear" behind the brush below the lee-side of creek's hill. One by one the other members would repeat the routine until the "pledge" member was left inside the car. It worked flawlessly every time, scaring the unbeknownst greenhorn senseless. It was all clean fun until this fateful night in early October of 1984.

We had always amended the story's weather details to reflect the current conditions upon the telling. This added to the excite-filled suspense that all was favorable to see the bride, or the groom. This night was different though for the conditions were exactly as the haunting tale foretold. I remember swallowing a lump in my throat upon spying the dull red lunar disk hanging on the limb of the planet as we approached the gorge's entrance.

As we rounded the first curve, it was as if the fog saw us coming. Billowy thick clouds rolled down both sides of the road and converged on the Honda as we came out of the first curve. An aching fear began burning away in my gut as I began counting curve just as the hapless groom did in the original ghost story. I slowed the car down to a slow crawl as we approached the seventh curve and, despite my current frightened mood, I killed the engine just before the bend in the road. To add to the excitement I improvised and killed the headlights as well.

The air within the vehicle was electric with fear, and I felt a giddiness that straightened the hairs on my arms and legs to attention. My breath became shallow and my heart beat quickened as I reached for the door handle to exit the car.

"Not again," I said with a knowing sidelong glance at my friend in the passenger's seat, "that battery cable must have come loose again."

I reached down to pull the hood release and froze as a low guttural voice floated on the fog and to my ears.

"Get out of the car!" The disembodied voice ordered and my heart leapt into my throat. I exchanged glances with my companions and saw they were all white as the ghostly bride had we seen her before us at that moment.

"Did you hear that?" I asked with a trembling voice.

The scientific definition of fear goes a bit like this...
Excessive neurological activity stemming from inhibitory neurons not functioning properly. These neurons failing to excrete levels of the neurotransmitter that inhibits the transmission of other neurons leads to a high level of activity in the brain responsible for human emotional arousal. The result being. A human individual feels fear...

I for one had never experienced the type of fear I was at that moment and that may have impaired my ability to rationalize.  If you asked me directly after the experience I may have told you I saw the groom standing before the car pointing a gun through the wind shield when I flipped the headlights back on.

I restarted the car and slammed it in reverse as fast as humanly possible. I did my best to make a three point turn into a one pointer and got the hell out of there as fast as I could. After we got turned in the opposite direction we all heard a gunshot echo off the surrounding gorge walls.  I heard the bullet ricochet off of the asphalt just outside the driver side door. The surreal feeling after our feigned fright turned to flesh and blood fear had my head spinning. 

It took several hours to wind down after the night's events and sleep never came to me.  As I lay awake staring at the patterns the popcorn finish made on my ceiling, I relived the nightmare over several times within my head. Morning came and I wandered downstairs where my brother was watching the morning news. The logo behind the desk reporter read "Thirteen Curves". I shoved my brother out of the way and planted myself before the tube.

"The man," the reporter read from the TelePrompTer with emotional indifference, " dressed in a wedding tuxedo, was hit by a car on the infamous seventh curve of Cedarvale Road late last night and was pronounced dead at the scene. The black 1940 Packard Super Eight Limousine that hit the man was left abandoned at the scene. The car had no plates and was in severe disrepair. Police suspect foul play because the only clue to the drivers identity was a bloodied wedding dress found in the back seat of the vehicle."

And that was the closest I have ever come to seeing the Bride of Thirteen Curves...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:22:37 AM by davidleejones13 »

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
Re: Thirteen Curves (Part 3 of 3)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 03:05:37 AM »
Blimey! Great stuff Lee

ma ;)

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:23:58 AM »
Thanks Ma!
I had a great time writing this one.
It is becoming obvious to me that horror is more fun than any other gendre! ;D

You think it may time for a new hat?

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 07:26:36 AM »

This creeped me out big time Lee.  :o

More please.  ::)
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
Thanks FF,
I love creepin people out. I am flattered by the applause.
When I get time I will give this another going over to tighten it up a bit.
Thanks so much for reading and all of the kind PM's.
I am afraid this is the last installment of this one, but I assure you I will
do some more creepin people out here in the near future! ;D
I am not quite out of ideas yet! ;)

Lee

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »
Definitely well creepy... :o
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:26:02 PM »
Thanks Andrew!
What are you cooking up in the kitchen tonight?
Good to see everyone frequenting the THINGY again!
I am overdo for some mis-adventures! ;D

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 04:23:30 AM »
Not sure... but I think it'll be rum flavoured ;D
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.