Author Topic: Thirteen Curves (Part 2 of 3)  (Read 1732 times)

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
Thirteen Curves (Part 2 of 3)
« on: August 15, 2008, 03:10:35 AM »
He scanned the circle of creek bed that was lit up around him for his beloved. He had the odd sensation that he was within a large spot light and that there were several eyes upon him scrutinizing his every moved with bated breath. An icy hand gripped his soul as he heard a muted whimper from above him within the tree.

"Oh God NO!" He cried as he urgently searched the shattered vehicle above him squinting his eyes against the still functioning head lamps. Groaning metal and cracking branches sent debris down on him and his worst fear was affirmed as a drop of warm scarlet splashed upon his cheek. It mixed with the creek water that streamed down from his wet hair and dripped down to the corner of his mouth. The salty metallic taste played upon his tongue sending a wave of bile up from his churning stomach. He tried to scream out his wife's name, but the burning lump that hung heavy in his esophagus had stolen his voice.

Suddenly a great snapping sound smacked his ears as the huge branch that held the Limo up gave way.  Instinctively he dove out of the way just clearing the huge limb and falling wreckage as they slammed hard into the creek sending a spray of water raining down upon him. Rolling his bruised and battered body over he quickly crawled over to the mangled passengers side door. He tried to open the door but is was too damaged and refused to budge.

The fall had shattered the headlamps of the car and plunged the creek bed into complete darkness. The sudden stillness weighed down on his exposed skin with a nagging heaviness as his eyes adjusted to the darkness way too slowly. As if on cue, the moon above cleared the gorge wall and lit the fog around him in a ghostly green glow.

"Anna!" He shouted into the darkness that was once the cabin of his beautiful new car. The only sound that came to his ears was his labored breathing and the trickle of water from the stream around him. He called out her name once more and held his breath listening as hard as he could for a sound from his beloved wife. A faint rustle caught his attention and he plunged a shaking hand into the blackness within reaching around cutting himself on shattered glass from the wreck's window shield. He ignored the pain and fished around until his fingers brushed against the unmistakable fabric of clothing. He was aghast that the fabric was soaked in warm stickiness.

He finally found her hand and was momentarily relieved when it weakly grasped ahold of his. She was still alive. He grabbed hold hard and tried to pull her towards but immediately let go and yanked his hand back as a blood curdling screamed pierced the stillness. His heart sank and tears rolled down his cheeks as he scrambled around to the other side of the crumpled heap. The cruel nightmare unfeelingly split the fog above the scene just as he reached the other side. This door too was jammed closed by twisted metal.

Moon light streamed into the broken vehicle revealing his battered bride. The blood soaked dress looked black in the moonlight and threw her pale face into stark contrast as he gazed upon her through blurry tears. From her chest down her body was pinned under the engine block of the car's enormous engine. The arm he had grabbed from the other side was free of the mangled machinery, but it was bent at grotesque angles in two places. A pang of guilt gripped his heart upon realizing he had caused her additional pain by pulling on it. This was nothing compared to the guilt his soul was immersed within knowing he was the cause of this dreadful accident.

Hopelessness overwhelmed him for he knew that there was not a chance that he could pull her from the wreckage by himself. Every fiber of his being tried to push time back ten minutes as he knelt beside the car and his body wracked with great heaving sobs. He looked to the heavens and prayed to God to send help. The last thing he wanted to do was leave her side. As he prayed to the heavens he saw the break in the fog closing up again. Fearful he may not see his wife alive again he quickly looked back into the car and gazed upon her face.

The facial muscles that were screwed up in agony just moments before had relaxed into an expression of calmness. His heart broke as his mind pictured her glowing beauty as they were on the altar earlier that day. Now her face was a picture of sereneness and the realization she was about to slip away fueled his urgency.

"Stay with me Anna!" He shouted into the car, "I am not going to let you die."

He saw her eyes focus on him and she nodded her head ever so slightly in understanding.

"I have to go get help," his eyes welled with fresh tears, "whatever you do, don't let go!  I will be back as fast as I can."

"I-I- l-l-l-ove yo-you," she said between painful gasps just barely above a whisper.

"I love you too!" He said through trembling lips. He moved as fast as his legs would carry him back in the direction they had come. His hopes a passing car would discover him on the roadside were never realized. He ran through the pain and exhaustion until, after an agonizing eternity of time, he found himself within the small hamlet of Cards Corners two miles up the road. Cards Corners was a collection of a few houses and a gas station, but it did not take him long to find a handful of helpful men to help him with the rescue.

After being gone just over an hour the groom returned to the scene with the rescue party. He rushed over to the wreckage to rejoin his wife hoping she was still alive. Confusion turned to shock when he found the car empty. The blood was still pooled within the depression her body had made within the car's leather seat, but this was the only evidence that she had even been there. The sheriff arrived on the scene shortly after and quickly dispelled suggestions that maybe wild dogs or maybe a bear had gotten to her. He explained there was no way to get her out from under the heavy motor of the car, there would still be traces of her left.

The search for her went on tirelessly for three weeks without turning up a clue. The Groom, never lost hope and for the next five years exhausted his entire fortune searching for his lost bride. He eventually returned to the scene penniless and heartbroken. This night was much different from the fateful night five years previous. There was no fog and the moon was just a fingernail shaped sliver in a brilliant star speckled sky. From under the same oak he had lost his wife the groom hung himself in an effort to rejoin his beloved.
When conditions are right, and the fog is thick, it is said the ghostly apparition of a blood soaked bride has been glanced wandering near the stream around the Seventh curve. On clear moonless nights her groom still serves out eternity carrying on his unrewarded search for his lost love Anna...

PART THREE:  http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=16293.new#new
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:39:35 AM by davidleejones13 »

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
Re: Thirteen Curves (Part 2 of 3)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »
Hmmm  a campfire ghost story... but what will happen in part 3??
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 03:53:31 AM »
My experience comes up next...

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 03:00:29 AM »
Ooo Creepy Lee.
Ma :)

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 03:26:24 AM »
Thanks Ma,
And I did not even kill you off or fire you in this one! ;D