Author Topic: $250,000 FieldReport.com Grand Prize Contest Begins  (Read 10805 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: $250,000 FieldReport.com Grand Prize Contest Begins
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 03:36:54 AM »
I'm grateful to fuzz for his clarification.

If I may, though, I would like to clarify one point myself. As I understand it, you DON'T have to write reviews of five other stories before you can submit one yourself. You simply have to read and rate them on a scale of 1 to 10.

I guess this may be down to how you interpret the word 'review'.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline fuzz

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 04:39:03 AM »
Correct.  In FieldReport parlance a Review is at least a rating, but you may also include some comments, a full-fledged review, or anything in between.

During the initial phase of the scoring process (which takes about two weeks, but can vary) FieldReports are editable by the author.  Thus folks have the opportunity to use feedback they receive during the Review process to improve their stories.  Note that your rating is anonymous and never revealed to the author or any other FieldReport user.

FYI winning a monthly qualifying contest gets one in the running for the $250,000.  As we become more well-known there are more entrants in each subsequent month's contests.  FieldReports continue to compete in monthly qualifying contests until they win or the grand prize is awarded.  Thus by entering early you get more chances at the $250,000 -and- those earlier chances have much better odds.  I'm just sayin'... ;)

:Fuzz

Orpheus

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 05:02:20 PM »
Yes, every strange occurrence is to do with chemicals in the brain.

Uh, what was that?

Oh yes, my opinion on this field report thing is that its totally open to abuse.

Don't believe me? Well all we have to do is write a few stories and then when we come across each others work we all give each other a high score and everyone else a low score. Its not difficult to work out. I'll get some friends involved and we'll make some money.

By all means go for it, but don't get your hopes up.

One other thing. I still haven't figured why these people want TRUE stories, and they're willing to shell out so much money to the winners. Something doesn't add up, but then I WAS abducted by aliens... and I'm still sulking. :-[   

Offline fuzz

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 05:52:58 AM »
"Oh yes, my opinion on this field report thing is that its totally open to abuse.

Don't believe me? Well all we have to do is write a few stories and then when we come across each others work we all give each other a high score and everyone else a low score. Its not difficult to work out. I'll get some friends involved and we'll make some money."

Our Objective Community Ranking Engine includes anti-fraud code written by serious folks who have done similar work for American Express, Citibank and the US government.  In addition to an extremely sophisticated system for tracking reviewer credibility (the more credibility you have, the more your rating counts, and vice versa) we have "police workers" that run in the background, constantly looking for suspicious patterns of activity.

Ever go on vacation and get a call from your credit card company because their anti-fraud systems identified activity outside of what it considered to be normal?  Same sort of deal.  It's even easier to spot when groups of people do it, FYI ;)

Why do we want true stories?  Well.  It's not that we're obsessed with truth.  What we love are the stories people tell each other. 
Stories we tell around the dinner table.  ZOMG YOU HAVE TO HEAR THIS stories.  Stories we overhear in restaurants.  But it isn't just an aesthetic.  To quote our CEO, FieldReport wants to be:

"An encyclopedia of human experience, where the experiences of others can help us come to grips with our own lives."

"A safe place where we can anonymously share some of the more confusing aspects of our lives, and find support from others in the same boat."

"An ultimate archive of our members' journeys on this earth, the place where they keep the stories of their lives for posterity."

Why so much money?  For promotional reasons.  You're talking about us, aren't you? :D

We haven't decided anything at this time, but in the future you can probably expect smaller grand prizes that come with smaller amounts of cash along with a book deal from a major publisher, representation by an agent from a major agency, or similar.

The folks behind FieldReport are writers.  We're in this for the love of writing and storytelling and wanting to share and commune with our fellow beings.  We want to help our fellow writers succeed, as well as build a vehicle for our own success as writers.

I am willing to believe you were abducted by aliens.  I'd love to hear about your experiences.  I've met aliens myself but they weren't interested in kidnapping me; they just wanted to hang out (and chitchat excessively).

Orpheus

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 06:08:03 AM »
Thank you for your positive and comprehensive reply Fuzz. That answers a lot of questions.

I wasn't really abducted by aliens by the way. I was being flippant... unless you've turned the joke back on me?

Crafty ;D

Offline fuzz

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 06:42:57 AM »
That's a relief!  All the aliens I know are so far from being kidnappy; I was really hoping we didn't have little green hooligans out there.

Feel free to ask any time you have a question.  We love talking to other writers.  If you have suggestions as to how we can do this better please let us know.