Poll

Do any of these hook you?

Number 1
Number 2
Number 3
They all suck

Author Topic: My Opening Line...  (Read 1571 times)

Offline rewh2oman

My Opening Line...
« on: August 15, 2008, 06:19:51 PM »
Would any of these opening lines want you to read more? Please let me know (yes or no) and why (yes or no).

"Hey, you kids, get outta here. What do ya think yer doiní on my property?" yelled the gray-bearded, old man from his second story window.

The screams coming from old man Miller's house were sounding different tonight, "I told you to get the hell out of here."

Earnest Miller poked his head out of his second story window, "Hey, you kids, get the hell out of here."

...Russ

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
Re: My Opening Line...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 06:33:40 PM »
Hi Russ to me line 2 sounded exciting but I would change were sounding to sounded.

I am probably wrong but I hope it helps
Ma :)

Orpheus

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:31:32 PM »
Russ you kill me. I must have read this opening about six times, are you still sweating on it?

Sorry buddy..... I'm about to press the buzzer. You know what I'm going to say right?  :D

Orpheus

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »
Ouch, that felt cruel. >:(

Offline rewh2oman

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »
Thanks MA

Yep, I'm still sweating (and rewriting/editing). I feel I have a good overall story. But something about it just doesn't feel right.  :-\

...russ

Orpheus

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:57:45 PM »
Russ,
 Let's put your question another way. You're asking if one of these sentences is a hook - a hook good enough to draw the reader into your story.
What's actually happening here, is an old man is shouting down to a group of kids. Some people might find that intriguing, but... 
It doesn't feel right to me. :) 

Offline BrigidMary

• Visit my website!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
I think number 2 is good. I think getting rid of the dialogue would make it brilliant:

The screams from old man Miller's house were sounding different tonight.

Then start your dialogue on the next line.

Just my two cents.
Brigid Kemmerer
Author of <b><i>Storm: The Elemental Series</i></b>, coming April 24, 2012 from K Teen (Kensington Books)

Offline rewh2oman

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 08:22:39 PM »
And a good 2 cents they are, BrigidMary. Something for me to think about.   :)

Yes, a "hook" is what I'm after. I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible. I thought if I just posted a line I'd get more response.

...russ

Orpheus

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »
I agree with the girls that line 2 is the best of the bunch, trouble is... the guy's not really screaming is he? (not if I remember the chapter well) - he's actually shouting. You're in danger of trying so hard to grab attention you overdo the description. Also (and this is just my reaction to all story openings in general), I switch off immediately when I read the words, blood, gun or scream - I'm actually immune to these words because they have been written into openings so many times... Truly, as a reader, I want something more imaginative, that sucks me in.
Sadly you're the only person who can conjure that up... if I sweat over something this much, I get ruthless and simply delete it. Nine times out of ten, it don't look right because it ain't meant to be there. Sorry, my opinion of course. :)