Author Topic: Why Even Try?  (Read 6642 times)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
Why Even Try?
« on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:39 PM »
Why Even Try?
   or Misguided Zealot

I am told I'm bad because I am ruled by biology.
I am told that history is not destiny.
I am told to disregard the drawings as Lascaux.
I am told to deny my carnivorous self.

Instead
Ruminate on this, oh despicable meat-eater.

You should shun your evilness.
You should shun your destiny.
You should shun the triumph of ancestors.
You should shun your carnivorous self.

Flesh eating is cruelty to animals
   No word on other animals eating animals.
Not only flesh, but animal by-products as well
   No milk, no cheese, no eggs.
Live off plants Ė they don't have eyes.
   No nutrition worries, it's easy to be healthy.
Give up your carnivorous ways.

I've tried
And failed to make the more zealous happy.

I woke to my morning coffee
   With cream.
I lunched on crackers
   With cheese.
I supped on tomato soup
   With milk.
I am a carnivore.

Forgive me Mother Earth.
For I am as you made me.
I am the promise of my ancestors.
Living high on the hog.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
Re: Why Even Try?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »
Bravo

Can I post it on my web site on the same page as Dave Nostradamus?

M
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »
Sure

P

Offline Akeith (Gray)

• Waiting for a drink...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:32:39 PM »
SpChick:

I love the last stophe.

It is hilarious, thought-provoking, and so true.

Gray

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »
Nothing like carnivore humor   LOL

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 05:18:48 AM »
Amen SpChick,
you have nailed human nature perfectly.
I do not feel right without my daily intake of meaty protein.
I Have tried to go veggie, but all it accomplished was turning me into a glorified SALAD SHOOTER.
Sorry for the imagery, but it applies here.

Great job, great writing.
Cheers to you...

Lee

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:38:32 AM »
I agree that in this age of plenty (for first world countries) we eat too much. We eat too much of everything.

But I couldn't even come close to being a vegan. There are days when I can shun meat, but never meat by-products. I am addicted to coffee and hate it black. Even fake milk is made from milk by-products.

I wonder if the shamans who painted the caves at Lascaux are looking down on our gift of plenty and shaking their collective heads in wonder at the human race and how far we've come - and how far we've gone.

Offline Hugh

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 04:25:17 PM »
Hello, SpChick

The first line intrigued me.  Bad to be ruled by biology?  Is a lion bad because it eats antelopes?  Is an antelope good because it eats grass? 

A man kills a lion but doesnít eat it.  Suppose the lion was eating the manís goats, which provided the milk that kept his children alive.  Is that bad? 

The lion will provide a meal for hyenas, vultures and other scavengers that keep natureís kitchen clean and tidy.  Is that bad?

And who said plants donít have eyes, donít feel pain?  Of course they do. The holier-than-thou veggies are blinkered to Mother Nature as she really is.

Let Ďem eat lettuce while you tuck in to that juicy steak, washed down with a glass or four of Shiraz.

I might join you while I wait for the flak.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »
Steak, baked potato with butter and sour cream, and a glass of Merlot.
I'm ready   :D

Offline Akeith (Gray)

• Waiting for a drink...
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:02:30 AM »
Now I'm hungry. And I haven't even given an opinion of the subject here.  :-\

The need for protien is a biological evolutionary legacy we receive from our parents through the chemical structure of the DNA encoded in our cells. So, what do we do? We can use our brains and self awareness and free will to bypass our instincts and satisfy our inherent nutritional needs by using sources other than animals to satisfy this need. Or, we can bow to reality and accept that eating meat is a part of the check and balance ecological system already established in nature, beyond humanity's ability to influence or change.

Gray

(...please pass me the french fries and I'll take my burger well done...)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:06:35 AM by GrayAyes »

Offline robertmblevins

• The 'Straight Talk' Column at Newsvine/MSNBC
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:31:14 AM »
Good poem. Has a solid message. 8)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:23:17 AM »

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 08:03:01 AM »
It's not so much meat-eating that I have a problem with, it's farming. I'm fairly persuaded by the arguments that humans are not particularly special as compared to other mammals, and we appear to be designed to be omnivores. Hence my response to Mark's debate in the coffee shop: why shouldn't the aliens eat us?

But farming is different from the situation in which we evolved (agriculture has been around ~8000 years? A blink in evolutionary timescales). If we were still hunter gatherers, the animal would have a fairly natural life before its death, as happy as an animal can be in the wild. You could argue that nature is "nasty, brutish and short", but I don't think it compares to the likes of intensive farming, where animals are raised in completely unnatural conditions (what we would probably call "torture" if a human had to live the same way) - so, for the more intensively reared animals such as chickens, pigs and cows, their entire lives consist of suffering, and just so we can eat meat. And this isn't even touching on the environmental aspects.

Also, we eat a hell of a lot more meat than we would if we were hunter gatherers - and the clinical evidence suggests that this is not healthy at all - so the biological argument for farming and consuming large amounts of animal protein sort of falls down there.

We evolved as hunter gatherers, to have a diet consistently largely (except for groups living in extreme environments such as Inuit) of fruits, vegetables and small amounts of animal protein (wild protein at that, which is apparently leaner and lower in cholesterol, never mind levels of cortisol and other stress hormones, than farmed varieties). Our current farming and dietary practises are completely at odds with our evolution, and a serious deviation from the balance that would otherwise be achieved in nature.

"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 08:21:47 AM »
And the only real solution to the whole problem is for most of the people on the planet to leave.

If we intend to feed 6.5 billion people we have to farm. Not animals perhaps, but we have to farm. This many people hunting and gathering what naturally grows wild would lead to mass starvation.

In a natural habitat, so many of us would starve that we would probably reach the goal mentioned in my first sentence. But it would be not very pretty while happening.

Even with the population of humans at 6.5 billion, there are 12 billion chickens on the planet. The mass of insects far outweighs the mass of humanity. I believe beetles alone outweigh humanity, but I would have to look that up again and I'm pressed for time right now.

I agree with our eating too much. Too much processed food, too much meat, too much sugar, too much - too much  - too much.

Artificial is not a flavor - on billboards all over. But most of our food is artificially enhanced unless you stay on the outside of the store, and then you are still getting irradiated vegetables fertilized with a chemical mix. If we didn't protect our own food sources and spray pesticides on the farms, the crops would diminish and the poorest of the 6.5 million would not be fed with our excess.

I don't think there is an easy answer. I can only do what I do. I don't consume as much meat as most Americans, but I'm sure I'm far above central African average consumption, probably by a factor of 5 to 10.

Life spans were much shorter when we were hunter-gatherers. This made for fewer people. The food supply was sketchy at best, which also helped keep the population down. Diseases were mostly incurable, again a population dampener. Once we became farmers and herders, life spans began to increase. Along came cities and a more abundance of the arts. There was time now for the creators to build statues and monuments of stone and place the stories into our collective conscious.

If it weren't for our grocery stores, if we were starving or hunting for food, we couldn't be writers. We might be story tellers around the fire late at night, but our life of leisure would end and we would be fighting for the scarce food. And this would help get the population back to a sustainable level. But it wouldn't be very fun.