Author Topic: Monkey 'n Crocodile  (Read 4196 times)

Offline ZooDoc

• "War Star Rising!" tells about an END to violence.
    • zoodoc stories
Monkey 'n Crocodile
« on: April 12, 2006, 04:37:28 PM »
Monkey 'n Crocodile

Monkey high up in a tree             
See de crocodile down in a swamp.
Monkey play a dangerous game:       
When de crocodile he yawn so big,     
Monkey slide down de vine
An' run t'ru de crocodile mouth.     
One time, two time, t'ree time, four.
Cute li' monkey, he aint no more!

Just for fun.  ZooDoc
ZooDoc, "Sculptor of Words"
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

katinka

Re: Monkey 'n Crocodile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:03:17 AM »
 :D that made my day, love to laugh.
kat

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »
ooooooooo - not sure what to make of this, ZooDoc. I think the funny element would come out better if it was set in rhyme. The free verse doesn't really do the idea justice. The last two lines work really well - they get the punchline across in an amusing manner - but they're that much stronger because they rhyme as well.

Symphony

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 12:53:16 PM »
Thanks Symphony!† This is something I made up after spending 3 months in Belize (former British Honduras) and getting acquainted with their creol and playful style of storytelling.  I could've done it in rhyme but felt the unrhyming technique, as with Caterpillar 'n Butterfly, suits the Belizean proverbial style.  Thanks for reading and sharing.  ZooDoc
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »
Thanks, Kat.  That's what it was intended to do.  Poetry doesn't have to be dead serious all the time.  Right?

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 04:17:39 PM »
Thanks Symphony!† This is something I made up after spending 3 months in Belize (former British Honduras) and getting acquainted with their creol and playful style of storytelling.  I could've done it in rhyme but felt the unrhyming technique, as with Caterpillar 'n Butterfly, suits the Belizean proverbial style.  Thanks for reading and sharing.  ZooDoc

Ahhhhhh - I did wonder about the style you'd chosen here. I kind of guessed it must be something very cultural so I left it, because in this one the 'style' is so obviously very different and intentionally so, it fits nicely.

Symphony

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 04:34:19 PM »
Thanks, Symphony.  I might still try your idea of setting it to rhyme to see how it looks and sounds.  Appreciate the suggestions.

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 08:22:48 PM »
Hey, I just realized this forum must be on England time.  Every time I post, it registers 7 hours later.  Cool!

sjreed56

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 11:37:49 PM »

How cute!  Yeah, I wondered if that were culturally inspired.

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 12:00:31 AM »
Thanks Sherry.  Oh, and on your quote I must ask, What about the "beauty" of creation?  But I guess it's only by the "heart" or inner self, if focussed on beauty, the positive good in most persons and things, and in all creation, whereby the human mind and eye can recognize true beauty, which concept would even be true of those with unseeing eyes.  I still love your quote, just had to add that thought.  You must have had something in mind when you chose that quote.  Mind sharing?  ZD

sjreed56

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 01:56:10 AM »
ZooDoc, So we donít veer off track of the post I will answer on the Welcome Board. 

And please donít let anything happen to your cat.  :o
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 02:04:42 AM by sjreed56 »

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 12:18:35 AM »
What's that about my cat?† Now you've got me intrigued.  Oh, and besides your sweet and supportive posts, when're we gonna see a masterpiece by Sherry the Great?  "C'mon, Dr. Leo Marvin, I'm doing the work.  I'm baby-steppin'.  I need, I need, I need!  Gimme, gimme, gimme!"  Name that quote, meanwhile, and you'll receive a free one-way trip to Siberia, all expenses paid (fine print:  "with the exception of meals and lodging").  The quote is from one of my all-time favorite movies featuring Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfus.  ZD