Author Topic: Caterpillar 'n Butterfly--Observations please  (Read 4457 times)

Lin

Re: Caterpillar 'n Butterfly--Observations please
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »
That's much better - I loved it and the direct approach won it for me - thanks for trying I just wish you had taken my previous comments as positive.  All it needed was a few small changes and please bear in mind that telling the truth about a piece for review is better than telling lies and saying its wonderful when something is blatantly missing.   A review is a review and in the real world out there its a hard world in publishing and if your best friend doesnt tell you then who will?

The changes are a positive and my comments to you were meant as a positive way forward to helping you move on with this. 

All the best

Lin
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 03:15:59 PM by Lin »

Offline ZooDoc

• "War Star Rising!" tells about an END to violence.
    • zoodoc stories
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 03:29:25 PM »
Thanks Lin.  Apology accepted.  And I apologize for over reacting.  I guess I'm gun shy after hearing Simon Cowell say so many times:  "I don't mean to be rude, but..." then poops all over the American Idol contestants.  Maybe it was your use of the word "clumsy" that set me off.  Obviously I responded more positively to Symphony's way of presenting criticism.  Anyway, constructive criticism is always appreciated when presented in a palatable manner.  Thanks again.  ZD
ZooDoc, "Sculptor of Words"
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

Lin

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »
Sorry I dont do palatable,  I live in Holland where the Dutch are more direct than "you know what" off a stick!!   

I invited my neighbour for dinner one evening and remarked on how Id just completed the wallpapering and painting a few days before.   His reply to me, after looking down his spectacles on the end of his nose, and inspecting the new decorations was "MMMM, its er very English isn't it?"

Enjoy

Lin

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 03:42:18 PM »
So I guess it wasn't an apology.  Then I'll have to respectfully ask that you not review anymore of my stuff.  Sorry, I don't accept rude!  Thanks anyway.
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

Lin

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 04:23:28 PM »
Come on ZD that was meant to be funny!   We do seem to be misunderstanding each other's comments.   Im afraid if you knew me as a person you would see Im not at all as you seem to have misunderstood.    I wasnt being rude at all.   Im quite nice really!!  honest!! 

Lin

Offline caliban1

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 10:59:50 PM »
Hi ZD, Just dropped in to see how this was going.  Sorry you and Lin seem to be misunderstanding one another.  I do think she really helped you.  You are a good writer, but this piece sure seems like prose to me.  It is poetic prose, but I expect a poem like this to have rhythm, or to be very free verse which is built around clusters of images.  Why is it so important to you to present it as a poem?
I think it is a wonderful prose piece.  Anyway, I certainly like Tocan Moon.  I like your writing, and I have certainly apprieciated comments and thoughts you have sent my way.

Stay cool,
Cal
It is all a metaphor.

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 11:38:31 PM »
Hi Cal, thanks for your positiveness.  Actually it was Symphony who helped me.  Lin, in her own way, tried to help but only aggravated me.  But I forgive her.  It's just her way.  I'm sure she means well.  We're just poison for each other it seems.  Better to stay away from each other than to have conflict.  Believe it or not, I'm known everywhere as Mr. Mild and it's very rare that someone gets to me the way she does.  Sorry Lin!  I guess you have to be true to yourself, and recognize some limitations.  Like my older brother and I.  We love each other to death, love to be around each other, do things together, think very much alike, actually he's my brother/mentor in life.  But do you know that when we tried to live together many years ago when we were both single, it was a disaster?  Sometimes we have to accept the reality that there are poisonous people out there for us and we need to know when to keep our distance for the sake of peace and tranquility.  Sorry if this has upset any of you out there on the forum.  My public apology!  Truthfully, I tried to keep things private in the beginning.  I PM'ed Lin to explain my feelings, but she chose today to bring it out in the open.  Oh well, as Anne said poetically:  "Life Does Go On."  I'll try to return to my old axiom:  "Better it is to love briefly than to never know love."

Lin

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 03:18:08 AM »
Shall we turn around and start again!! 

Lin

SuzieHarris

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 08:12:33 AM »
There is a saying in the UK:

"If you can't stand the heat - stay out of the kitchen".

The comments Lin gave you were mild, yet helpful. Editors tear flesh off your bones, chew you up then spit you out. Most of the work you send them is at least 150% re-written before it is ever published. I have turned in my manuscripts to my publishers many times, only to be reduced almost to tears over their harshness. Get used to it.

Suzie