Author Topic: Which do I use??  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Smiley

• View Profile
Which do I use??
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:42:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

If something is happening continuously does it sound better to say unrelentlessly or unrelentingly? The sentence I'm writing is:

"Ice-cold rain spat spitefully in her face like hundreds of tiny needles unrelentlessly prickling her sallow skin."

any advice appreciated,thanks

Smiley
Smiles make the world a happier place, share yours with a stranger it could make their day.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Which do I use??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:52:22 PM »
You could either say unrelentingly or relentlessly. Not unrelentlessly though - that's the opposite to what you mean!

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Smiley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »
Thank you nick  ;D

Smiley
Smiles make the world a happier place, share yours with a stranger it could make their day.

Offline akpolarmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 04:37:25 AM »
Now I have a petpeeve that needs attention...lol The over use of adverbs. You can rewrite this sentence, make is more active and loose both adverbs; maybe something like this:

"Unrelenting, the ice-cold spitefull rain spat in her face like hundreds of tiny needles prickling her sallow skin."

You also puts emphasis on unrelenting by placing it before the description / simili. It makes the continous nature of the rain even stronger, like there is no escaping. ;)

Akpolarmom

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 04:39:09 AM by akpolarmom »
Still in Search of More Tools of the Craft....

Offline urban scribe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 03:34:23 PM »
in my opinion, this sentence, without reading the surrounding prose, is overly descriptive.

what is it about the rain that makes it "spiteful"? has the rain fallen victim to the pathetic fallacy: assigning human emotions to inanimate objects.

for what it's worth, my version of your sentence would read:

The unrelenting icy rain assaulted her face like hundreds of tiny needles prickling her sallow skin.

~us

Offline Smiley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 05:42:19 PM »
Thanks guys for taking the time to comment,

akpolarmom - I've taken your advice and placed "unrelenting" at the start of the sentence to make the continuous nature of the rain stronger - thanks

US -if you're interested, the surrounding prose is in "review my work" well, two paragraphs are anyway.

There have been other comments on the personification or "pathetic fallacy"  :-[ so, anyway I have changed the sentence and it now reads: "Unrelenting, ice-cold rain spat in her face like hundreds of tiny needles prickling her sallow skin"  this is still work in progress so it may change again yet :-\

Thanks again, appreciate your help

Smiley :)

Telcontar

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 12:18:41 PM »
Hi Smiley,

"Unrelenting, ice-cold rain spat in her face like hundreds of tiny needles prickling her sallow skin"

I think I've got this right. How about putting the verb (prickling) first, to make the action stronger:

"Unrelenting ice-cold rain spat in her face, prickling her sallow skin like hundreds of tiny needles "

Dave.

Offline Smiley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 05:26:21 PM »
See!, I said it may change again. ;)

Thanks for that Dave, yes I agree- thats definately better.

What would I do without you all??? ???

Smiley :)