Author Topic: The Wishing Well (Part Six)  (Read 1230 times)

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
The Wishing Well (Part Six)
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »
Karen Henson and I were the same age, but the hopeless battle her parents had fought with their disease had bled her youth away. As I looked into her sad green eyes I found myself awash in her sorrow as if her soul, through some unseen conduit of communication, touched mine. I shamefully looked away from her gaze as guilt quickly replaced the sadness.

"Don't feel bad for me," she said placing a pale hand over mine, "they are now at peace and no longer in pain."

I looked back into her beautiful face trying to think of something to say, but all I could manage was a sympathetic smile.

"Besides," Karen gently squeezed my hand sending warm blood rushing to my cheeks, "it is I who feels bad for you for what you are about to face."

Outside the store excited voices could be heard coming up the walkway.

"Take this," she whispered pressing a large green marble into my hand, "when the time comes, you will know what to do with it."

She smiled once again and leaned over the counter and lightly kissed me upon the cheek. My sullen mood momentarily lifted as the rush of teenage hormones rushed through my veins. She stepped from behind the counter and started gathering items from the list.

Matty came through the door followed by the tall form of Sherif Tanner.

"Gertrude and Ralph Murkick's nephew," his baritone voice boomed as he shook my hand firmly, "sorry we could not have met under 'happier' circumstances."

My head spun trying to process too much information as fear grappled with confusion and embarrassing adolescent lust.

"Can someone tell me what the Hell is going on?!"

Three stunned faces stared back at me after my sudden passionate outburst. My face that was just seconds ago shaded by puberty driven hormones was now tinged red with embarrassment as the three townsfolk exchange a quick glance with one another.

"Where is the Professor?" Matty asked. "He is best qualified to explain."

A short uncomfortable silence was broken by the sound of the shops front door bell as the disheveled hobo walked through the door while taking a long pull from his booze bottle.

"So I guess," he asked after wiping his lips with his dirty shirt sleeve, "the blasted thing is back from the dead then?"

"Professor," Sherif Tanner asked turning to the intoxicated vagrant, "can you please catch our young lad here up to speed?"

Call it over-stimulation, or shear exhaustion, but at that moment it was as if my brain short circuited and I promptly passed out on the hardware store floor.

As I came to, I heard mumbling voices accompanied by the sharp snapping sound like a coin being dropped into a tin can. I sat up and slowly rubbed my head trying to focus bleary eyes in the direction of the commotion. In later years I would come to familiarized myself well with the state my young body was currently experiencing. Sharp, mind numbing headache coupled with burning eyes and dry mouth. Hangover.

The group had gathered around a table and were busily grabbing up marbles one at a time. While cupping them one at a time within their hands, each would mumble a few words and then quickly toss the marble into a metal noodle strainer placed before them.

"Ah, Lee," Matty exclaimed kindly, pausing in her odd task, "pull up a chair and grab a box of marbles."

"What, may I ask," scratching my head cluelessly, "are y'all doing?"

"Preparing the Reverse Polarization," the Sherif responded.

"And what are the marbles for?"

"They are wishes!" The Professor stated impatiently, "now get your ass down here and help us get these strainers loaded. That damn thing is out there getting stronger by the minute!"

"Oh Professor," Karen admonished, "do lighten up on the boy. He cannot help that he has been forced into our unfortunate little group." She smiled and patted the empty chair beside her and said as a friendly smile touched her tired face, "come sit next to me Lee."

I returned her smile with a sheepish one of my own. As I passed behind the Professor's chair he paused long enough within mid wish to grumble and shoot me a contemptuous stare from underneath his bushy grey eyebrows. I noticed Karen's eyes holding my own and did what every red blooded thirteen year old American kid would do; I screwed up my eyebrows turned and stuck my tongue out at the old boozer. Luckily at the time he had just closed his eyes and was into his mumbling of his next wish. I felt pleased with myself as a giggle escaped Karen's lips and I sat down beside her.

She slid a box of marbles towards me and lightly squeezed my knee under the table as she leaned over and whispered into my ear. My sudden shyness caused me to almost jump in my seat as the sweet sound of her voice tickled the small hairs within my ear canal and sent every peach fuzz sized one on my body standing on end.

"You must make every wish as sincere as you can, or it will not work."

I nodded awkwardly drunk within my sudden feeling of ecstasy, only half hearing the words.

The rest of the afternoon I willed time to pass by as slowly as possible sitting in that chair beside Karen. The urgency to get back to my family being held captive by the evil well did not return until we loaded the last of the supplies into the trunk of my Uncle's car. I tried to slide into the drivers seat but surrendered the keys reluctantly to the Sherif as he flashed me a wane smile.

"Why aren't we taking a police car?"

"Because old Bessy here is the only thing IT produced worth  a damn," he responded patting his hand on the cars rusted top, "and she is used to helping us out of these tight spots."

Somehow it did not come to me as a surprise that the old car had originated from the well. I could picture my Uncle wishing for the car, all shiny and new,  within his youthful past.

I was rudely sent to the back seat after the Professor took the shot gun seat.

"Now don't go falling for the Henson girl boy," the Professor turned in his seat and pointed a stubborn finger in the air at me, "she only has about three more months to live."

I felt my heart sink as we drove off. I looked through the back window and felt the tears welling within the my eyes as I waved at her sadly as she waved back from behind the hardware stores front window.

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
Re: The Wishing Well (Part Six)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »
Hmmm... Putting wishes into marbles??

Awww... she's only got 3 months ?? :o

Still keeping me reading...   so where's the next bit?? :D ;D
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »
Thank you Andrew,
I am glad you are still reading.
I am about to ramp up the excitement a great deal in the next bit. I just had to set up some foreshadowing in this part.

There is good news on the writing front... The beginning of this week I will have an agent! I cannot believe I was contacted, but one of my shorts caught the eye of a published author who refered me to his agent.
I still have not signed the contract yet because I need to look it over some more, but I feel this just may be the first step to getting into print and onto the bookstore shelves.
I am so excited I had to tell you, sorry about that!

It may take me awhile to get to the next bit.

Thanks Andrew for reading.

Lee

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 02:13:20 PM »
With that kind of excitement... and the other things going on in your life... you can be given an extension on the upload date for part 7  ;D
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.