Author Topic: Seeking to Exorcise The Demon  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Christopher Silva

Seeking to Exorcise The Demon
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:08:47 AM »
Seeking To Exorcise the Demon

The pain was excruciating and the usual ache in my joints was there in spades. My mouth was dry and I was covered in a dark red coppery crust. I rose painfully from the dais and stumbled to the mirror.

My long black hair was full of burrs and encrusted with black dried blood. I reeked of death.

Stretching, my body cracked loudly and I noticed the scratches already beginning to heal. The full moon gone and now I have just over three weeks to continue my research.

The hot bath felt wonderful and I wondered how something so simple could bring such pleasure. Scrubbing hard with an old volcanic stone the thick red crust became slime and washed away. Lying back, I tried to remember the last few days. It was never easy when the transformation took over; my mind reverted back to its animal basics. Over the centuries I was able to remember more and more, and function better, now always able to return home.
#

I was bitten while on a Portuguese ship charting the Indian Ocean. We had anchored at a lovely cove off what is now an Island South of Goa and made land to begin essaying the island. We were well into it when night came, and that is when the demon attacked.

We had eaten well, enjoyed a port too many and sleep came fast. The smell and sound of the sea always makes a man sleep deep.

I was young then, only 22 and the lead essayer. Back then we achieved much early in life and lived short hard lives. My crew had done well and I saw no reason to worry for we had seen none of the unusual dragons and tigers we had heard tales of.

I was wrong though, for what came was much worse than any giant lizard or tiger, it was a monster.
#

The screaming woke me with a start and I saw it, a flash of fur and gaping jaws. My faithful crew fell fast though hardened by travel and well trained. One got off a shot with his flint and another slashed well with his blade, but both were quickly taken down.

I'd been sleeping next to the fire and was struggling to exit my thick cape when It came at me with lithe arrogant speed; I raised my arm in defense. I fell back over a log we had used to sit on and somehow the beast and I cart wheeled over with it landing in the middle of the coals and what was left of the fire.

Emitting a strange preternatural howl, the giant animal disappeared in a wash of thick hair and an odor of burned rotten flesh.
#

Vomiting, I gathered my senses and looked around, a throbbing pain in my forearm. Our camp was mess and my crew down, most half eaten. The monster had started silently and got its fill before the rest of us awoke.

The rest was a blur; I gathered what I could of our provisions and headed back to our ship in the landing craft. The skeleton crew we had left on the ship was shocked at my tale and we hurriedly set sail for Lisbon. They eyed me strangely for the first few days but were back to normal after awhile. The captain who worked under my orders as head essayer was more than happy to make the voyage home.
#

Three and a half weeks later, with Southern Europe not yet in sight things began to change and I fell ill. I remember looking up and seeing a moon almost full and shuddering.
#

The Spanish found our ship afloat with me the lone survivor. I told a tale of Turkish raiders and of a battle lost to vicious pirates. Somehow the pirates had left me for dead. Somehow the Spanish believed me; maybe because the truth was simply more unbelievable.

That is how I made my way back to the mainland and the rest is history.

#

So, here I was in the bath contemplating my next step. Over the centuries I have studied the phenomena that blighted me and came up with one solution. After reading one arcane book after another, I finally had a lead

_-
C
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 07:03:37 AM by Christopher Silva »

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
Re: Seeking to Exocise The Demon
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:56:42 AM »
:o   You can't stop it there!!! :o :o
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:22:24 PM »
Haha, trust me, it continues. I'll post the next part soon.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »
Great Stuff Chris as per usual.
take care
Mairi :)

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 09:49:27 AM »
Mairi,  thank you for taking a moment to read and comment.

Chris

midnightcandle

Re: Seeking to Exorcise The Demon
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »
I like it ;D ;D ;D

Offline DavidMcK

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »
Nice cliff hanger Chris.

David.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:15:25 AM »
Midnight, so happy you read it.  Thanks for that and the comment.

David, thanks. I hoped to make the reader crave more. Did I accomplish this ?

I'll post part two tomorrow.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:30:41 AM by Christopher Silva »

Offline DavidMcK

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »
It works for me Chris. You have left the reader curious as to what the ‘lead’ is. I will watch out for part two.

David.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 07:33:55 AM »
David, here it is  :-)