Author Topic: $40,000 FieldReport Award Deadline is Sunday  (Read 10918 times)

Orpheus

Re: $40,000 FieldReport Award Deadline is Sunday
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 10:56:56 AM »
/\/\/\

Not from me. I'm still sulking coz everyone hated my stuff. The humiliation cuts deep.  ???

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 03:56:29 PM »
For others who have been watching this thread - and competition - with interest, here's a link which tells you a bit more about how it's being received in its own country.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2008/09/22/moneytales.DTL&hw=writing+contest&sn=004&sc=431

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »
Next FieldReport deadline is 15 November. More big-money prizes on offer! I've been told they are particularly short on contributions for the Sport/Challenge and Real Breaking News categories, plus TeenReport (for teenage authors only).

See www.fieldreport.com for more info.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 11:15:05 AM »
Just heard that the final deadline for the FieldReport contest has been extended to 31 December, so still plenty of time to get your entry in!
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

SuzieHarris

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »
Hi guys,

I thought you might want to know that FieldReport turned up on a Writer's Beware blog.

http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2008/11/victoria-strauss-fieldreport-yet_18.html

Suzie x

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
Only fair to add that the blog post in question is largely positive towards FieldReport, praising them for responding constructively to some initial criticism.

I have been in correspondence with various people from FieldReport, and the contest gets my own personal seal of approval. It's free to enter, with some great prizes for the winners. Yes, it's always important to do your own 'due diligence', but equally I think you need to beware of looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Offline eric

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 07:03:08 PM »
I read Victoria Strauss's blog, and it appears the Field Report people are forthcoming and helpful on the main points Victoria questioned.  They have resolved her concerns, and as I trust Victoria a good deal, that speaks volumes.  She did mention a few other things--if you win over $100,000, you sign away exclusive rights to your piece for 14 years.   With lesser winnings, the time period is shorter.  Other people can apparently make anthologies that include your piece during the period of rights transfer, and these are sold (horrors!  or maybe not).  So the careful writer will want to READ THE CONTRACT if you have the next GWTW in your hands.  But this does not appear to be a con job, not at all.  They hope to expand it to novels and other types of writing if this project succeeds.  They may be over-optimistic, but as a writer I have to be almost wholly supportive of people throwing money at us in good will.

p.s.  And remember, folks, I am about as cynical as they come with regard to writer-ripoffs.  This isn't one.  They may be looking for a $15 million novel to pay for their prize money, but when you balance that against really pretty substantial prize money up front for several ink-stained wretches that probably find getting published at all a huge obstacle, well, it's a tradeoff. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:27:21 PM by eric »

SuzieHarris

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 05:53:17 AM »
I never claimed they were in any way a bad risk. I just like to share information as I get it.

Suzie x

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 07:54:09 AM »
Point taken, Suzie. It's just that if someone had looked at your post and not bothered to click through the link you provided, they might have assumed that Ms Strauss had posted a warning about FieldReport on the blog concerned.