Author Topic: The Wishing Well (Part Four)  (Read 2285 times)

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
The Wishing Well (Part Four)
« on: June 10, 2008, 06:45:52 AM »
My eyes fluttered open and stubbornly focused on a pair of muddy boots standing in the doorway of my room. As my eyes slewed upwards my groggy brain slowly awoke from the dark depths of the strange dream state from the night before. It only took my brain less than a second to process the information as the sight of my Aunt Gertrude fired across my synapses, but time itself had slowed to a crawl and the second seemed an eternity.

The beating of my heart pounded way too slowly within my ears as my mind focused on the gory details before me. What used to be a pink cotton dress barely hung, tattered and soiled, from her wasted body. Horrifically, maggots and worms wriggled and danced gleefully within gaping holes within her dry grey skin. Brittle bones poked through dead flesh and dusty old fabric as crow like fingers curled around the handle of a rusted pitchfork. Then my eyes focused on the face.

I had seen pictures of my beautiful Aunt Gertrude in my mother's photo album. If it were not for the cracked pearl rimmed eye glasses that precariously balanced on the dried cartilage on the bridge of what used to be her nose, I might not have even recognized the walking corpse before me. Patches of matted mud caked hair sprouted from her skull like some kind of crazed troll doll and bugs still gnawed on the stumps of flesh where her ears once resided.

Her cracked brow furrowed, revealing white skull bone beneath, as her eyeless sockets seemed to impossibly focus on me. The mouth's skin cracked as dried lips that had not opened in countless years parted showing rotted yellowed teeth within.

"The dead shall rise from the ground," the rough voice came to my ears as I bolted upright in bed in a cold sweat and a shrill scream.

There within the doorway, with a surprised look upon her face, stood Jennifer frozen in mid stride. I turned to see my bedside table empty behind me.

"You scream like a girl," my sister said with a distracted tone. Then her face lit up, "you gotta come see!"

I shook the cobwebs from my head and stepped to the floor, realizing  I was still dressed in my clothes from yesterday. I pulled on my shoes and my sister grabbed my hand and excitedly pulled me towards the staircase.

"You have to be quiet because Uncle is napping on the front porch."

Immediately last nights details popped into my head and I suddenly feared the worst. Leaving Jennifer behind,  I bounded down the steps almost missing the last few and spilling onto the hardwood floor. I flew past my brother leaving him behind with a dumbfounded look upon his face and a glass of spilled orange juice on the floor.

I burst onto the porch expecting to find him dead, murdered by some evil creature.  To my relief my startled Uncle awoke and pointed the cap gun at my head.

"You better put that thing away," I said putting my hands up in a disarming manner, "or you are liable to kill someone."

My Uncle blinked and lowered the toy pistol, a tired look upon his face. He stood and looked over towards where the old oak recently stood. I followed his gaze and saw the great tree had fallen at some point during the evening. Huge branches that had towered above now lay bent and broken on the dusty drive way.

I looked at the deceivingly unassuming well sitting several yards away. The "dead zone" around it had grown. Where the dried grass was last night only barren dirt existed now. The stump of the oak tree still lay within the circle, what was left of it was rotted away into a pile of moldy sawdust.  Peppering the circle I saw several carcasses of dead birds in different stages of decay.

"You kids get back inside!" My Uncle yelled behind him through the open screen door. I saw my brother and sister's sheepish faces as they withdrew fearfully towards the back of the house.

"Uncle Ralph, what is it doing?"

"Feeding."

"What are we going to do?"

My Uncle sat back down in his rocking chair and scratched the stubble upon his chin thoughtfully.

"I want you to take my car-"

"But Uncle," I protested, "I am only thirteen!"

He stared at me admonishingly without a word, until I sighed and settled down.

"You are going to take my car into town and goto Henson's Hardware." He handed me a scrap of paper, " here is a list I made out last night, just tell them to put it on my tab. It is important that we get to it while it is still weak. When you get there ask to see Sherif Tanner or the Professor. Tell them you are my nephew, and to come quick. They will know what it is about."

"But-"

"Boy," My Uncle's thundering voice hit my face as if he had just thrown a fist, "get your head out of your ass and listen to me!"

I bit my lower lip and choked back salty tears, but I did not drop my gaze.

"This is serious," he continued in a less alarming tone, "and you are going to have to do your part or there are going to be a bunch of people hurt, do you understand me?"

I shook my head.

"Good. You need to get to town as fast as you can, get those supplies and gather the Sherif and the Professor. We need to cut the head off of this thing before it gains anymore strength."

He tossed the keys to the car at me. I was so scared at that moment I surprised myself I caught them.

"I will stay here and keep your brother and sister safe."

"Won't they be safer in town?"

"IT will be after them before anyone else. Their imaginations are stronger, because they are so young. If you were to take them IT would make you bring them back here. On top of that, it would probably make you kill me. The only reason that hasn't happened yet is because it is still too weak."

"Uncle," I said defensively, "I would never-"

"Son," he said seriously, "you do not know what you are dealing with and what this thing is capable of. You just do what you are told and we just may get through this with all of us alive. Now go! You have wasted enough time already."

"But Uncle Ralph, I don't know how to drive!"

"Learn as you go!" He shouted back and headed back towards the house.

As I turned back towards the car, my hands trembling in fear, my Uncle called out once more.

"Lee, whatever you do, for gods sakes. DO NOT WISH FOR ANYTHING! That only feeds it's strength!"

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:01:46 AM by davidleejones13 »

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
Re: The Wishing Well (Part Four)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »
Ooo Hooo  ;D Getting interesting ;D

Only a couple of things I stumbled over...

My eyes fluttered open and stubbornly focused on a pair of muddy boots standing
Did you mean "reluctantly focused" ?

I shook my head.

"Good. You need to get to town
Surely he nodded??
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 03:21:08 AM »
Thanks Andrew.
I will go back and make some changes and tighten her up.
'Right now it is a question of time.
Thanks for remaining interested and offering your comment. It is greatly appreciated. Next part will be up tomorrow night sometime...it may be the next morning for yall on the other side of the big pond...

Lee ;D

Offline Christopher Silva

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »
Lee, please do not get angry but I recommend that you clean-up this one prior to posting the new one.  There is some awkward writing in here and may deter other from reading your new post ...

Just a thought from a friend.

Chris

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »
Chris,
I could never be angry with you, for you have only been honest and helpful. I will try and get to it later tonight before I move on to the next part. I guess my current awkwardness in life is reflected in my latest work?
AW, just an excuse.  ;D
You are my friend, never be afraid to say what you think. I know, coming from you, it will always be sincere and devoid of malicious intent.

Your American friend,
Lee

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »
Hi Lee
I see the creepy crawlies are coming back to haunt me.  :o I knew it wouldn't be long.

I wish I could give advice with editing mate, but I am making a right pigs ear of my own.
I need my dunces cap back lol.
Take care
Ma :)

Offline Christopher Silva

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »
Lee, you have a great imagination and have stories coming out your ears. They're always good too. I would just like to see you tune each one and start sending them out to get published. 

Chris

Offline Akeith (Gray)

• Waiting for a drink...
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 12:48:39 AM »
Wow.  I just read this for the first time.  Nice work, nice writing.

Gray

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 04:02:15 AM »
Thanks GrayAyes,
There is more to come...soon. Thank you for the nice comment.
Just have a lot going on right now, finding it hard to find the time to get to the next part...

Lee