Author Topic: So Barack Obama clinched it...  (Read 37140 times)

Offline HBEgley

Re: So Barack Obama clinched it...
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »
Don't want to turn anybody off with my politics.

For a long time now I've felt that something is going to turn this election on it's head. Something big. It'll possibly affect both parties, and maybe neither one will win.

For the democrats......at their convention consider what could happen if in permitting a Hillary nomination, somehow behind the scenes, she has formulated a way that she gets the overall nomination. Talk about chaos.

For either candidate it will come down to their vice pres. candidate.

Just opinion.

Harry

Offline McWawa

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2008, 06:40:48 AM »

For a long time now I've felt that something is going to turn this election on it's head. Something big. It'll possibly affect both parties, and maybe neither one will win.
How about, the present incumbent declares a state of emergency, for whatever reason, and the election is cancelled ? Or  and attempt is made at the above, and the shtf.
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »
All jokes aside who does he remind you of?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWX5u69hmzY&eurl=

Harry

Yup I've got to agree with you. Though, after the election was 'stolen' before hand. And taking into account the unfavorable polls for Mccain (if they stay as they are Obama wins) I think it'll be war? I hope that's just me over analyzing the situation. But...
"Strive for what you believe in."

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »
WoW

I've been following the Democratic National Convention and I can honestly say I've more than impressed...

Edward Kennedy's appearance/speech went beyond symbolic gesture. Hillary Clinton's, without a doubt, raised the status quo. I've never seen her inject such passion into a speech, even when she was campaign trail. Joe Biden's took the fight directly to McCain. And Bill Clinton and John Kerry both did a superb job...

And tonight Obama gives his acceptance speech.

I mean, win lose or draw (I think a draw is mathematically impossible) I feel as though this is an important moment in history. And tonight like every night this week I'll be up late watching it, taking it all in. Though I must admit, I wish I could be there to witness it first hand and gauge the reaction/impact (if any) of the people 1st hand.

bobby

Offline ellie

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »
I watched some of it on our Newsnight (BBC) Bobby......and I have to say that, our elections here in the UK are very dull in comparison ;D

But I have been reading (in our newspapers & on tv) that around a 5th of Hillary Clinton's fans/voters are going to vote for McCain? Is this true?
It would truly make history if Obama makes it to the Whitehouse...but have to confess, I do fear a little for his safety. Do you think I worry unduly?
elliex
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

StrayDog

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2008, 04:21:53 PM »
I caught the speech Biden and Obama made in Illinois when they announced the vice presidency candidate. Sounded mostly like horse shit to me. They didn't make any campaign promises, it was just mindless backslapping and McCain bashing.
Hope this post doesn't offend anyone, it's just the impression I got.

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
Nope it's not true...

It amazing how the media spin a story to add weight to it. When Obama won the nomination 25% of her supporters said they would either vote for McCain or not vote at all. In the months that followed the number has fallen steadily as the very same polls suggest. Besides when they did the roll call vote (for official nomination at the convention) Clinton received about 300 votes to Obama's thousands.

Though it seems some will search for any reason to note vote for him as this clip shows (some of her supporters are in the crowd but they now support Obama.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVHZHuyVeio&eurl

But to me what is significant was her speech. I mean, not only did she urge (unreservedly) her supporters to vote for him. She also questioned those who refuse to by asking them "Were you in this just for me or for America." She then went on to explain McCain's senate record on things like equal pay for women.

But whilst watching the speech what I found significant was that you could actually see the change in her supporters. Many brought their Hillary placards and were waving them frantically at the beginning of her speech but by the end were waving the democratic Unity placard instead.

I counted only four Hillary placards at the end of her speech... 

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2008, 04:55:36 PM »
I caught the speech Biden and Obama made in Illinois when they announced the vice presidency candidate. Sounded mostly like horse shit to me. They didn't make any campaign promises, it was just mindless backslapping and McCain bashing.
Hope this post doesn't offend anyone, it's just the impression I got.

Why would it?

Though I disagree. I watched the speech you were talking about and Obama did bash McCain. But on the issues... See the thing is McCain's camp know they can't win a debate on the issues. As his senate record shows he voted with  George Bush 95% of the time. And since Bush's approval rating is at 33% they dare not start a debate on policies.

By the way in the 8yrs Bush has been president he has widened the gap between rich and poor to the level not seen since the 1920's (a fact Clinton highlighted in his speech last night.)

Though what I find Hilarious is this. If you go to Obama's website you'll find page after page of new policies and ideas to help America. Go to McCain's and you'll find page after page of negative stuff about Obama. No policies or ideas... Just a site set up to assassinate Obama's character.

?   

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2008, 06:00:59 PM »
Sounded mostly like horse shit to me.

Agreed.  It's horse shit on both sides.  If we stuck these morons in a barn where they belong, we could rent out the White House and Congressional Offices as retail space and start paying down the national debt in a couple of weeks.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
lol

Don, what do you think the rental income would be? I heard Washington real estate had dropped by 17% in value in the past year.

Perhaps they could turn it into a museum or something?

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2008, 09:56:39 PM »
I heard Washington real estate had dropped by 17% in value in the past year.

That's only if you factor in the crack-house neighborhoods that ought to be bulldozed.

Museums are notoriously poor earners.  One thing I do know is rental income and Sam Walton would pay big time for a prime Pennsylvania Avenue address.  So would any of the other big-box stores. 

Imagine a chain-store pharmacy renting the Senate Cloak Room--customers would be able to buy their Petpo-Bismol in the very spot where the former high rollers used to trade political favor for envelopes of cash and cocaine.  The possibilities are endless.  ;D
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

StrayDog

« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2008, 10:12:01 PM »
That's only if you factor in the crack-house neighborhoods that ought to be bulldozed.

Museums are notoriously poor earners.  One thing I do know is rental income and Sam Walton would pay big time for a prime Pennsylvania Avenue address.  So would any of the other big-box stores. 

Imagine a chain-store pharmacy renting the Senate Cloak Room--customers would be able to buy their Petpo-Bismol in the very spot where the former high rollers used to trade political favor for envelopes of cash and cocaine.  The possibilities are endless.  ;D
Get your nausea cures from the place that gave it to you. Ironique?

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »
Just watched Obama's speech. My honest reaction...

Goosebumps.

?

Night night Mwc

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2008, 03:00:28 AM »
Obama or McCain?

Doesn't matter so long as Bush can't run again.

Anyone wanting a plot for a thriller try this.... a two term president engineers a faked terrorist attack so he can justify canceling the election and staying in power for the duration of the emergency.   

Offline ellie

« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2008, 08:52:43 AM »
I wouldn't trust any politician..they will say anything to get into power.

I joined the Labour party in '97 and actually did door to door to promote them. But I ditched the party when Blair followed Bush into Iraq.

I was in my front garden just now and one of the 'war' jets(as I call them), flew so low over our bungalow I could almost see the pilot. It shocked me so much that I stumbled and fell against the wall.
It costs thousands to put those jets into the air, yet our pensioners live on meagre pensions and have to rely on state handouts to keep themselves warm in winter.
Something wrong somewhere... :'(

p.s. Am I right in thinking that Obama can't do exactly as he likes (if he becomes president) but has to abide by the Senate?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:55:19 AM by ellie »
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm