Author Topic: So Barack Obama clinched it...  (Read 35018 times)

midnightcandle

Re: So Barack Obama clinched it...
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »
Bobby, I just want you to know that I care deeply. Its this feeling all around me, people who I know who don't care about politics. I care about the next President and hopes he's a better man than the twat who's been there for 8 years. I remember a friend of mine who went to live in the states in 1990 when she got married. Her husband to be said he hoped that Bill Clinton didn't get in. Apart from a few extra marital thingys he was a good president and left the economy in a pretty good condition. George dubbya bush - what can I say. It isn't exactly a hard job to follow but a hell of a lot of pieces to pick up.

And it is worrying for Britain, I'm sitting here scraping by to feed my wife and 3 children and I don't even know if I will have a house next year. I haven't been this worried in all my 12 years of marriage. And those who I know say that politics don't affect them are dumb. They better wake up and smell the coffee.

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that midnight...

perhaps I can provide a few minutes of 'comedy' at George dubbya's (as you called him) expense.

The laughter has been added to the vid...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j76bLFbpuLQ
"Strive for what you believe in."

midnightcandle

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :D

I'll remember that as my tv is requisitioned ;D

Offline ellie

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 05:41:44 PM »
Are we sliding into world recession?  Was it Bobby said that America is in one?
Hub watches Fox news and it was said on there that 28 million Americans are reliant on welfare for help with food etc.

Every day I go to the supermarket and see the price of basic foods steadily on the rise.
We are cutting back on jouneys because of the price of fuel...in fact we are buying food every other day to save on petrol.

Funny isn't it though, although we are finding it harder to manage (both in the U.S and UK) we still have feelings for those worse off than ourselves, as in Darfur, Burma and Zimbabwe ?(I had family there once when it was a thriving country)

When I walk around the shops I often think of poor devils who don't have food or clean drinking water..I look round at the food available to me which I can afford to buy and I thank God that Im so lucky.

I don't know much about WW2, only from what my late Mother told me, but this I do know, she and my late Father were forever grateful for all those young Americans & young men from the Coomnwealth, who fought and died for the freedom of the world.

My Mum & Dad were young people during those terrible 6 years of war living in London and suffered the Blitz of 57 (I think) days & nights continuous bombing....my Mother always spoke of the young men who fought so bravely/the Normandy landings etc to bring peace back to the world....and she kept in touch with 2 young New Zealander soldiers and wrote to them whilst they were in France.

Both we here in Uk and you who live in America live in democracys, we have the freedom of voting for our leaders, we can eat, drink clean water and live in decent houses.Lets not forget that and be thankful ;)

The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 05:41:58 PM »
Yup he is kinda hilarious!

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »
I agree ellie...

Whenever I watch the news I always end up feeling slightly lucky. Lucky that I was born here and am able to enjoy freedoms that many around the world can't fathom. The freedom to speak independently and without retribution. Freedom to do and say as I please (within reason  :D)

This thread for instance... Social/political commentary would be banned by 99% of regimes that rule the less fortunate. 

midnightcandle

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 12:10:04 AM »
I agree ellie...

Whenever I watch the news I always end up feeling slightly lucky. Lucky that I was born here and am able to enjoy freedoms that many around the world can't fathom. The freedom to speak independently and without retribution. Freedom to do and say as I please (within reason  :D)

This thread for instance... Social/political commentary would be banned by 99% of regimes that rule the less fortunate. 
absolutely

StrayDog

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 12:13:12 AM »
Both we here in Uk and you who live in America live in democracys, we have the freedom of voting for our leaders, we can eat, drink clean water and live in decent houses.Lets not forget that and be thankful

But people do forget that, and it's a shame.

midnightcandle

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 12:17:09 AM »
I'm proud of it. Said it before on this forum - we have (in my opinion) the best democracy in the world. Thank you Oliver Cromwell. :)

Offline McWawa

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008, 04:49:31 AM »
Regarding American democracy, the people who voted at the beginning of the primaries had the choice of all the candidtes running for their respective parties.Those who had their chance to vote for the repesentative of their party had the choice between who was left, not the same choice as those at the start of the race.To add to that some delagates where not, purposefully, given the media coverage, if any, as others.The bias is set.
Of those who are left as the only options for the presidency none have addressed the huge financial black hole which the USA is spiralling into. The Clinton presidency set the agenda for what is now the demise of the USA as the economic super power which the country once was.The inevitable effect of Alan Greenspan's policies are now coming to the fore. What some had thought was a new paradigm, an unstoppable and relentless growth based purely on debt and credit has come to ruin the USA.
  As house prices decline and owners ability to repay both the rising interest on the mortgage and the extracted equity owed on the devalued property retails sales and employment will decline. World wide the dollar value is decreasing and yet at the same time demand for fuel and food products increases in the rising new economies, this will put another strain on the USA purse as prices (inflation) increase.The outcome of deregulation ( the Greenspan/Clinton era)  and it's present day effects  has left a world wide distrust between banks and other financial institutes. The effect of this on municipal bonds and the reduced tax revenues will be a crippling blow to local municilpalities.  One California town has already declared bankruptcy. The fact that this is all happening now, yet with some economic slight of hand the use of the word recession has been avoided, and  has not been addressed by any candidate, that would be of extreme concern to me if i were a USA citizen or resident.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 04:56:10 AM by YelnickMcWawa »
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline ellie

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »
I'm proud of it. Said it before on this forum - we have (in my opinion) the best democracy in the world. Thank you Oliver Cromwell. :)

;D hear hear MC!

Since I left the Labour party (I did it in protest at us going into the Iraq war) Ive been flummoxed as to who I would vote for..and sometimes I say I won't bother to vote. But then I remember that people died to save,keep our democratic freedom and I feel duty, honour-bound to go out and vote.
I may be in a minority here but if someone came along and said they were standing for a republic then I would join that party.
I wouldn't want anything nasty to happen to the royals ( I think the queen has done her job well) but just for them to step down. I don't even think we need a president; that a Prime minister could fullfil  duties as a head of state.
But Im probably in dreamland with that one ;D
I was looking at a picture of the High commisioner of Fiji down on his knees in front of the queen and I thought 'isn't it time we ditched all that?'..
Ive always seen everyone as equal and hate all that forelock tugging..its looks so old hat in the modern world. I certainly wouldn't bow,curtsy to anyone.
Ive had folk argue with me that the royals bring in tourists. I don't believe that..I think tourists come here for our history, old buildings, our theatres,museums..not a bunch of unattractive royals.
According to the British tourist board the London Eye is now London's biggest attraction..surpassing Big Ben..and millions flock to it.
Oops sorry Bobby..Ive gone off track slightly here ..apologies ;)
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

midnightcandle

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2008, 01:18:27 PM »
One California town has already declared bankruptcy. The fact that this is all happening now, yet with some economic slight of hand the use of the word recession has been avoided, and  has not been addressed by any candidate, that would be of extreme concern to me if i were a USA citizen or resident.

Just waiting for it to come here :'(
This is scary stuff. I think its time I wrote my novel

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »
No need to apologize ellie. It's always cool to hear your perspective.

Apparently Hillary Clinton is going to endorse Obama sometime today... 

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 07:30:06 PM »
I don't normally do politics, but...

I heard a bit of this on the radio today and feel; a) a little bewildered, and b) rather sickened.

H Clinton has spent the last few months doing everything she could to discredit B Obama.  This is of course the way politics is played these days.  To hell with having any solid  or even innovative policies of your own, just attack the other candidates.  It makes for far better theatre.

Now, today, she says Obama is the best hope for her party and the country, and is obviously fishing for the Vice President's job.

Some might call this pragmatism, some might dress it up as 'being the best thing for the country', but I can't see it as anything but blatant barefaced political hypocrisy.  It's about as credible as if Winston Churchill had suddenly ordered the RAF to start bombing the UK to help the Germans bring the WW2 to a speedy conclusion.

It could of course be that I just have no idea what squirms around in a politician's mind, and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Gyppo   
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Ken100

• The Devil and Edward Teach - Out now.
    • Ken Preston
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 09:48:56 AM »
Okay, for those of you who are interested, here's a fantastic piece on why Hilary should not be the Democratic vice presidential candidate. Just follow the link...

http://www.barryeisler.com/2008/06/hillarys-exit.html

And here are the introductory paragraphs...

With some reluctance, I offer a few thoughts on Hillary's defeat, particularly on the notion that she deserves to be, and that Obama should make her, the Democratic vice presidential candidate.

I'm reluctant because Hillary as vice presidential candidate and as vice president is such a self-evidently bad idea that sensible people know it simply will not happen. So I find myself in the slightly weird position of discussing something that in my mind is being discussed only because it's being discussed, like Paris Hilton being famous for being famous.

Okay. Let's first dispense with the idea that Clinton "deserves" the vice presidency.
Let me format your book for Kindle. 20% Discount for MWC Members.
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,44874.new.html#new

Follow me on Twitter; @kenpreston100<br /><br />
http://www.kenpreston.co.uk