Author Topic: So Barack Obama clinched it...  (Read 36920 times)

Offline robertmblevins

• The 'Straight Talk' Column at Newsvine/MSNBC
Re: So Barack Obama clinched it...
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2008, 04:47:21 AM »
KUDO AM Talkradio in Anchorage is running an online poll right now that asks 'Is Sarah Palin Ready to Be Vice President?'

Votes are running 86% AGAINST Palin. Even if mostly Dems or liberals voted, that's still pretty bad for your own home state. And in a state with a mere 670,000 residents, it doesn't take long for word to get around, or for people to turn against you.

Her fiasco with Troopergate gets worse by the day. A few days ago she filed an ethics complaint <a href="http://adventurebooks.newsvine.com/_news/2008/09/13/1861145-sarah-palin-files-ethics-complaint-against-herself-in-effort-to-circumvent-legislative-investigation/">AGAINST HERSELF</a>, in an effort to circumvent the investigation by the Alaska Legislature and have it moved to the Personnel Board.

The Personnel Board consists of three people appointed by - SURPRISE - the Governor of Alaska. Palin appointed one of them after she took office. The other two were appointed by the previous governor, but she re-certified them. They all serve at the whim of the governor.

The Legislature told Palin that the Personnel Board could do what they wanted, but their own investigation goes on. Palin's lawyer protested, but failed. The Alaskan Legislature promises quick results.

Some callers to <a href=http://www.kudo1080.com/>KUDO AM</a> today wanted Palin to resign from office - or to face impeachment proceedings.

And you thought everybody in Alaska loved her, didn't you? (laughs)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:53:56 AM by robertmblevins »

Offline Bru

• http://www.brunazanelli.com
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2008, 05:32:41 AM »
cheers, Robert - you've brightened up my day!
btw loved your site!   :)
'if there's a friend who ever needs me,
I'll try to help somehow'
http://www.brunazanelli.com

Offline Bru

« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2008, 06:28:47 AM »
from New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/13/opinion/13sat1.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:44:27 AM by don86usa »

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
Standing back from a situation will give you a better view...

I'm not sure where I heard that but it's a rule/motto that I live by. To answer your question Ellie, yup Obama is behind in the national polls. McCain's post convention bounce was roughly 6 poll points. Today McCain leads by 2.3% But the election will be decided in the following states: (Blue representing where Obama leads, those that are red=McCain...)

Colorado (9)  New Mexico (5) Michigan (17) New Hampshire (4) Pennsylvania (21)  Nevada (5) Virginia (13) Ohio (20)

If Obama holds then come Nov 4th, he'll be president. But I'm somewhat skeptical... Cnn and Abc both conducted global polls and the results where significant. If the election where global, McCain would receive 1 vote for every 9 votes in Obama's favor. Basically a landslide Dem victory!

So I personally don't understand what is going on in the states.  Sure it easy to follow the entire thing live via cable tv and the net. But I just don't see how anyone could vote for McCain? His new message is "Change" but how is change possible when the same lobbyist that ran the Bush administration now Run his campaign. When he's already promised to continue the same FAILING economic policies that Bush introduced. Policies that allow large corporations to receive hefty tax cuts while middle/lower class America receive a big fat 0 in terms of tax relief in a stagnant economy. All while continuing to spend 10 billion (pentagon confirmed figure) a month funding the 'war' in Iraq.

lol It's easy to see why his campaign talks about Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Lipstick, and Pigs As opposed to the issues he helped create by voting with Bush 90% of the time in congress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThoBMfcFRc

Lets be clear here. The U.S reported that unemployment rose by 84,000 in August 2008 (Job losses have risen for 26 months straight.) The economy continues it's nose dive. Consumer confidence has reached an all time low whilst home repossessions are nearing a all time high. Yet some are dedicated to/are considering voting for McCain/4 more years of the same? Why? Even McCain's speeches are scripted by the same guys who do Bush's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa20q2s2BRs

Then there's Palin...

Finally the gop let her do an interview. And in doing so revealed what we all suspected. She doesn't know S**% I couldn't stop laughing when they asked her about the Bush doctrine and she tried to style it out as though she new what she was talking about ;D

Note: The Bush doctrine is the basis/justification on which Bush invaded Iraq. It's British counter part = The David Kelly report (the Sadam can launch his missiles in 45minute claim)

But then I watched it again and listened to her talk about a possible war with Russia. Strikes against Iran. Her belief that "the war in Iraq is a mission from god." And thought about her other war mixed with religion rhetoric and suddenly, Well... Watching her didn't seem so funny...

And even though I couldn't care less about celebrity opinion I thought that Matt Damon looked as uneasy as I felt when watching Palin. So just this once, I'll included one because dude genuinely seems concerned, just check the dense lines in his forehead lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6urw_PWHYk

Long rant over  ::)
"Strive for what you believe in."

Offline ellie

« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2008, 05:14:28 PM »
Bobby, I hope Obama makes it I really do.

Blair followed Bush into Iraq and thats when I resigned from the Labour party here in UK.

I see Obama as a breath of fresh air and being a world leader, someone who will lead us away from the theatre of war.

If I was an American citizen (oh how I love that word..would love to be a citizen not a 'subject' ;D)....Barack Obama would definitely get my vote ;)
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline HBEgley

« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2008, 09:20:09 PM »
Politics is such a sensitive subject. Of course you're probably familiar with my views by now. I'm on the McCain/Palin side of the fence. I won't say unequivocally I believe in all they have to say, but mostly that's where my beliefs and values lie.

The attacks on Ms. Palin, I believe, are going a bit overboard. Less than 24 hrs. after her selection a whole herd of reporters descended in Alaska. All they looked for is dirt. In my experience if that's all you look for that's all you'll find. There's already been a lot of positive information also, but it's being ignored.

One example recently cited is Troopergate. Contemplate this in consideration of this issue. A member of law enforcement uses a stun gun on a ten (10) year old child, and admits it. His excuse is that the child needed discipline. She tells her director to fire  this officer, he refuses, and she fires him. This matter was already addressed and no misconduct was found. Ahhh yes, the political season is here, so now the legislature wants to get into the fray. (He was never brought up on criminal charges, why?)

(1) If this is a measure of his judgement do you want him on the street.

(2) Is this a measure of his temperment is he fit to serve the community.

This could go on for a while. I am a member of law enforcement and clearly see mega wrong here. If I were to conduct myself in that manner I'd expect to be canned immediately. This is a violent act on a child, assault to say the least. Even used on adults caution must be used. If a person has a weak heart it can kill them.

Why is nobody holding Obama accountable for his association with a known terrorist, a now convicted housing developer who scammed a lot of money (with Obama's help), Louis Farakhan and his church pastor which have both espoused very bigoted views. In interviews he will not commit to what level he will draw the line at for additional taxes. I'd suspect there is no bottom level. Therefore nationalized health care is nothing more than forcing everybody to have an insurance plan, and you'll pay even if poor.

The war - Many people don't like it. As a retired infantry soldier I can say there's nothing uglier. Weapons of mass destruction were found, and it was reported in the New York Times. News agencies, being biased, didn't keep up the story so a lot fail to realize it. If we cut and run then the lives of our soldiers were wasted. We must at least finish the mission.

If you don't believe in the bias of media here's an example. Columbine here in Colorado. When the school shooting took place that's all you saw almost all day on the news for weeks. Lobbyists from outside Colorado descended and pushed all kinds of gun control measures. Now, September 11, 2001, three thousand people are killed on American soil by terrorists. The media decides that these images are too disturbing for the people, and by Sept. 12 the videos of the act were all pulled.

Many of you are on the outside looking in and the wonders of the web allow access to lots of info. I'd simply say to do some research in areas other than the media. Don't follow the parties blindly. As has been said befor this time in history is extremely important, so look at all of the facts before commiting fully.

Harry

Offline Bru

« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2008, 04:43:01 AM »
Harry,  I hear what you are saying and I respect your views but there is nothing that would induce me to vote for that woman or any party she was associated with. And McCain?  don't make me laugh!  Unfortunately, what happens in the US affects the rest of the world so we have to take an interest.

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »

Why is nobody holding Obama accountable for his association with a known terrorist, a now convicted housing developer who scammed a lot of money (with Obama's help), Louis Farakhan and his church pastor which have both espoused very bigoted views. In interviews he will not commit to what level he will draw the line at for additional taxes. I'd suspect there is no bottom level. Therefore nationalized health care is nothing more than forcing everybody to have an insurance plan, and you'll pay even if poor.

I had to read this twice just to make sure I wasn't missing the point...

But I'm left wondering by how many degrees of separation is there before you get to associate Obama with Farrakhan? They have never met? Obama has denounced everything he stands for, before he ever reached office (evident in a transcript of a speech he wrote before he reached the senate.) In fact the only time I remember Obama referring to Farrakhan was when Farrakhan "endorsed" Obama and they posed the question of his this endorsement in a nomination debate. Where Obama again, denounced everything Farrakhan stands for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn4DEyghY30   

Just out of interest, another leader of a racist group "The kkk" have also endorsed Obama... I wont add the clips (even though they are from cnn) but will pm them if needed.

As for the association with a 'know terrorist' I assume you're talking about Bill Ayers former member of the weather underground... A guy who committed terrorist acts when Obama was 8 years old? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlnoXZWRjgE

I mean we've got to keep things in perspective here. so I'll ask you, and anybody else reading this, what they did/were into when they were 8 years of age? Me personally? Umm... Lets see, I was damn near obsessed with Thunderkats (had the wall paper, bed sheets, most of the toys, and pyjamas.) Nintendo, Transformers, Football, WWF Wrestling, (The Undertaker was my fav) etc etc

Even though I digress I think the point of his Obama's 'association' with a terrorist is beyond a joke.

Hbe since you're here I feel compelled to ask you which of McCain's policies you support? Because if my memory serves me correctly, McCain's (prior to the convention) only policy was to drill for more oil. Or "drill baby drill" as he refers to it. I mean, drilling would be great IF it wasn't a process that took 7 years to yield results and delivered more than (at best) 3% of the oil America consumes annually. 

By the way gas prices have just climbed back to $4.00 I wonder what the price will be in 7 years if McCain does take office?

Hmm

Edit: When I was 8 this theme song gave me goosebumps and got me animated to the point where my mother said I couldn't drink fizzy drinks till it was finished. I also had the plastic sword with the infrared beam ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qd_IsxgAf8

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 11:43:44 AM by bobby digital »

Offline HBEgley

« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2008, 12:52:31 PM »
Keeping things in perspective I see the terrorist association like this. Even if the act happened when he was 8, as recently as 2001 Ayers proclaimed that he was proud of the act and only regretted that he didn't do more. (If a person were to wait for 35 years would it be OK to call Bin Laden a friend?)

I do support the drilling. America needs to become independent of foreign oil. It will be much less than seven years with todays technology, possibly two or three. The seven year statement is only in those areas where they'll have to survey and find new fields. Many are already known. Until this happens it will be possible for America to be held hostage at a whim from OPEC.

This has to be done responsibly while searching other means of energy too. The hydrogen idea could go a long way. Recently a man, T. Boone Pickens, is proposing wind generation. He's a Texas billionaire and I'm sure he wouldn't be behind this plan if it was doomed to fail.

In the political world of go along to get along I'm sure McCain/Feingold was a way for him to at least target some of the lobbyist wrangling in congress, and money. It ended up watered down from the beginning notion in order to get enough support. I don't like how it limits freedom of speech. That can be dealt with later. I think he'll stop earmarks/porkbarrel projects. That is like when you have a bill for money for education and in order to get support you throw in an airport. Of course people support education, but unless you read line 25 on page 345 you'll never know about the airport so it passes.

Obama also dismissed his pastor and his remarks, after he said he could no more deny his pastor than his people. Something inside tells me he wasn't unfamiliar with his views after 20 years, so to stay tells me that he too supported those views. I know that if I was to be involved with a group that I found to hold white supremist views I'd be outta there in a heartbeat. Even his pastor said that he's a politician and will say what he has to.

In general I'm a "Reagan Conservative". Less Gov't involvement, less taxes, strong defense. I don't support gun control, I believe in a person's right to self expression. I believe in freedom of religion, not freedom from religion, but don't try to push your religion on me and tell me mine is wrong. Our constitution is very clear on the limits of power on the government, and all else is up to the states. The notion of separation of church and state is bastardized from a personal letter from Thomas Jefferson to a Presbeterian minister, and was not ever an execuitive order.

I suppose that's the gist of it. Like I said I could probably write a book, and may. I'm just glad we can freely have this discussion. I've been to parts of the world where this would get you executed, on the spot.

Harry

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2008, 03:48:40 PM »
I accept that Ayers' past actions can never be excused.

But, he served his time and America has accepted him back into society. He has been a distinguished professor at the university of Illinois Chicago for some time now. Winning more awards for his work on education reform (and his accompanying publications) that I care to mention.

More importantly his work on education reform is what led him and Obama to meet back when Obama was a community organizer. But I guess we can come back to that

Because as I'm sure you're aware, Lehman Brothers bank collapsed today/last night citing 631 billion dollars in losses. And as a result, America lost 30,000 jobs (Britain stands to lose 5,000.) But what I find hilarious is that Bush called the collapse a "disturbance" whilst John McCain (today) told America that the economy is "fundamentally strong."  :o

Know one disputes the fact that Bush's economic policies helped create this situation or that these policies are the very same McCain helped to create (by voting with Bush 90% of the time) and has promised to continue. But for me, the nail in the economic coffin (should McCain become president) comes in the form of Bill Timmons. Recent appointee to McCain's would be cabinet. A person who is known throughout Washington as "the single biggest Oil lobbyist" there is. yet McCain is still running on a campaign message of change.

By the way the collapsed/bankrupt Fannie Mae, Frederick Mac, and Lehman Brothers were cited as three of the five largest mortgage investors. Could anyone tell me the names of the other two?

Offline HBEgley

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2008, 10:28:50 PM »
Of course we could go on forever on policy. One thing good I see coming out of all of this is the interest it's drawing from the people. We've become apathetic in our involvement in how our country is run. I've always been taught that it is important to stay involved and participate in the electoral process. From the time I was in elementary school it was the duty and a privilege to be part of it. I find it amazing that in years past tht sometimes less than 45% of registered voters actually vote. Now they've started giving absentee ballots so that maybe more people will vote. I haven't seen it make much difference in the overall turn out, but less people actuall go to the polls.

This really is a sad state to find ourselves in. I hope that, with all that's at stake, more of our citizens will get out and vote. We've had it easy too long I guess. I've seen parts of the world where people would kill for this kind of opportunity.

Harry

Offline ellie

« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »
Well said Harry. Ive always felt it my duty to vote.....people died that we might have the vote, specially for women.

On our news today it said that McCain is 5% up in the polls?
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »
Jumping for a moment into the rants:

Just wait for the debates, people. Polls mean nothing so early in the campaign season. You can watch them like bookies watching the odds, but they mean zip until November 3. And even then... I believe it will be a tight race.

I was raised by a Marine Corps major. He was a card carrying member of the Republican Party. Every Christmas, the Republicans sent us a nice Christmas ornament and seasons greetings from Reagan and Bush I. Through Iran-Contra, my step-dad stayed true to the party. Through the SNL crisis, he stayed true. The Kuwait war, okay. Through the Clinton years, he griped a lot until the federal budget emerged miraculously balanced. Under a democratic president, no less.

Then came Bush II. My step-dad, no longer in the Marine Corps but now a senior executive in a major car company, had serious doubts about the pick. After September 11, those doubts grew. Afghanistan, then Iraq. My step-dad was appalled at the misuse of the military, the flaunting of international law and the sovereignty of nations. Most of all, he was incensed by irresponsible government spending under a Republican  president and a Republican Congress. Being in a state of war is no excuse for unsound economic policy.

The financial  meltdown since then has put the nail in the Republican  coffin in my step-dad's view. He left the party some time ago and is registered independent (as I always have been). If you haven't guessed, he was a fiscal conservative. In his view, the Republican Party sold its soul when it pandered to the social conservatives at the expense of fiscal conservatism. In other words, a party that shouts abortion and gay marriage when it wants to bring out the voters is no party for someone who could care less about who you sleep with  but cares deeply about how the  government spends his money.

Eight years ago, my stepdad would have voted for McCain for president over Bush. Now, he won't touch McCain. The campaign has shown a peculiar transformation in McCain, a willingess to pander to the lowest common denominator -- passť catch phrases like "big government" and "no new taxes." The  choice of Palin as a running mate is an obvious nod toward the social conservative agenda he once (and rightly) ignored. He  offers nothing but hollow old phrases to the old school, core fiscal conservatives. They're left hanging in the breeze. Some of them, like my step-dad, will vote for Obama.  Some out of conviction, others out of a desire to tell the Republican Party that it has betrayed its core long enough.

By the way, I'm also a fiscal conservative and have voted for Republicans (though not for president). I  had a pretty good view of McCain when he was too liberal for some Republicans. But he like the rest of Congress folded consistently when Bush II came  knocking since Sept 11, and his was not a voice calling the administration to account for its fiscal policy.

Would a junior senator from Illinois change things? I don't know. I'm starting to think the mess is too big for anyone to clean up. I will vote for Obama, though, for several reasons. One is the way McCain is doing his campaign. He talks as if he is not the Republican party. I am not naive enough to think the Republicans will reform themselves if they get another chance in the White House. They'll reform themselves if they lose the White House. Maybe.

As for the Dems, I don't think they have much to worry about in the long run. US demographics will develop in their favor in the next few decades. The GOP of old white men and social conservatives won't have much to offer if it can't change with the times. McCain's campaign has shown no signs it would be the harbinger of change in his own party. Why should it? Who is backing McCain? The same old guys who backed Bush. Or did McCain refuse funding from the Republican National Committee, and I just missed that news report?  ::)

Frankly, it'd be nice to see a true Independent, Centrist party...Something really new.

Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline SteveJ

• A Writer's Christmas - Out Now!
    • Salvatore Publishing
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
A nonpartisan message from Sarah Palin & Hillary Clinton:

http://video.google.es/videosearch?q=snl+palin&emb=0&aq=f#

A Writer's Christmas:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4931358

The Horde - Available Now:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4076371