Author Topic: So Barack Obama clinched it...  (Read 36929 times)

StrayDog

Re: So Barack Obama clinched it...
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2008, 08:57:56 AM »
The right of each citizen to keep and bear arm is guaranteed in the constitution. I believe in large part that is what keeps the country free. Support of the constitution is a qualifying factor.
I believe in large part that is what keeps the country free.
Many democratic countries have anti-gun laws, are you saying they are less free?

There are worse things than pro life beliefs. We'll protect tigers, birds and mice, yet it's seems to be acceptable to kill a baby. Protection of human life can't be viewed as a disqualifier.
I personally am mostly anti-abortion, these people should have been responsible. Although a case can be made for rape victims.

Freedom of religion is guaranteed in the constitution. I guess I don't understand why a person's religion is looked at for job qualifications. They tried that with Kennedy, Romny, and now Ms. Palin.
I believe strongly in freedom of religion, even though I'm an atheist. BUT, there is an uneven scale, Muslims are abused under the patriot act. It contradicts the point of your constitution.

Offline HBEgley

« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
Some points to be made for the peoples right to keep and bear arms.  (less free, not yet)

1. This country was founded by men who had to fight tyrany. That right will ensure that we never again have to live under tyranical rule. In countries where this is prohibited there isn't anything stopping them in the future, at their pleasure. (Of course it'll be easier if the populace is eased into it.)

2.  With all of the resources in America it's really a wonder that we haven't been attacked. In many cases that is a cause for war. If you look at the second ammendment you see reference to a militia. That  militia is the citizenry of the nation. That is the purpose of that phrase. There was even a time early in our history that it was mandated that all males over 16 keep 1 rifle and 100 loads of ammunition.

September 11, 2001 had more firearm purchases than any other day, ever. Were those weapons used against the nation? Were they used to commit massive crimes? Quite the opposite, people were willing to defend against further attack, that's all.

On the point of religion; I'd say that remains to be proven. If such a blanket statement were true then all people of the muslim faith would have been rounded up and placed into camps. We've learned how wrong that was from our reaction in WW II, and moved on.

I hope not to offend, but am strongly opinionated. Actually political topics interest me greatly, and I've considered dabling in the non fiction arena.  Too bad I'm late for this political season.

Harry

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »
Hey HBEgley,

I see no need for you to apologize...

I'd much rather you expressed your opinion as opposed to just sitting back and harping on with the redundant "All politicians are the same" theory. Our two countries are so closely linked that what happens there in November, will undoubtedly affect us here...

::)

I just heard that McCain's vp "Palin" announced (today) that her 16 yr old is 5 months pregnant? I'm thinking most will see this as somewhat hypocritical given her previous comments on teenage pregnancy. Others will be cynical seeing as they waited for Gustav to dominate the news before the announcement. Perhaps she hoped the hurricane will blow away her detractors, detractors who are bound to pounce? 

It's political chess? I'm waiting for the debates to see who gets checkmate...

"Strive for what you believe in."

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11:01 AM »
It is questionable as to whether or not there is a constitutional right to bare arms.

The second amendment begins:  'A well regulated militia being necessery for the security of a free state...'

When this was written the USA did not have a standing army so a militia was necessary. But now the USA has one of (if not the) most powerful armies in the world. So a militia is no longer necessary, so the second amendment should be repealed.

Secondly, what is a 'well regulated militia'? The national guard probably fits this description, a bunch of nuts running around in the woods blasting away at random certainly does not.

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2008, 05:41:57 PM »
Ok so ABC reported that Sara Palin was once a member of the AIP. Of course she denies it but the story has enough weight to be broadcasted?

McCain could have saved himself a heap of trouble if he vetted her ::)

Offline HBEgley

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2008, 09:45:54 PM »
Hey Bobby

As I've said before, this promises to be an interesting political season.

As to Ms Palin's daughter, well, we're not voting for her. The children of the candidates should be left out. As a father and grandfather I can tell you that you try to instill certain values in your kids. Ultimately the child will make a decision. As I see it the only way Ms. Palin would be hipocritical would be if she had her daughter get a divorce. A major test of her character will be her standing by her daughter. Been there.

I'm sure we'll hear lots of scandals, that's what makes news. We've heard our share about Obama too, but several have proven false. In the end we'll want a person of strong character who will stand by their beliefs and values. We only hope that those beliefs and values support our position as Americans.
The sad thing is the seeming indifference in such an important decision. As you said, who we select will greatly affect the whole world.

Harry

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2008, 03:52:10 PM »
I totally agree...

Families should never be part of the debate but and as far as I'm aware they are not. At least in terms of Dem's and Gop because both have stated (in no uncertain terms) that Palin's family is off limits...

It's the media that's creating the debate.

But with that said. I think the negative press Palin's been receiving will work in her favor. The bar/expectations have been set at so a low standard that tonight, at the rnc all she has to say is "Hi" and it'll be a resounding success.

As I see it the only way Ms. Palin would be hipocritical would be if she had her daughter get a divorce.

By the way, her daughter isn't married.

Offline HBEgley

« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »
Oops. didn't mean divorce, I meant abortion.

Harry

Offline HBEgley

« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »
Heard a rumor that they're trying to make the kids get married. May not be true, but it would be nice if the kid lived up to his responsibilities.

Harry

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2008, 11:03:33 AM »
Yup

But it's not a rumor they're to be married before she gives birth...

McCains now campaigning on "Change" which is (to me) absolutely hilarious. Considering he's has proudly claimed on numerous occasions that he is firmly behind bush and voted with him 90% of the time.

The whole thing is still interesting but if I was the dem campaign manager I'd run this add which would I firmly believe would end the campaign for McCain, Perhaps lol

A comparison between McCain's - Bush's acceptance speech would (if ran as an add) seriously dent McCain's new 'change' theme.

segment between 4:20 - 6:00 http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=184111

Offline bee_bum_you

« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2008, 07:57:49 AM »
Yep. He was calling Obama a celebrity in one of his campaign ads, comparing him to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. But he's up in the polls because his VP choice is YOUNG, SPEAKS WELL, and is GOOD-LOOKING. They actually came out with Sarah Palin action figures, and you can choose between three different outfits: executive Sarah, superhero Sarah, and Schoolgirl Sarah. Apparently they sell like hotcakes.

That sounds to me like a celebrity, and she refused to give interviews for two weeks following her speech, which so far makes her a less substantial politician than Obama.

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »
That sounds to me like a celebrity, and she refused to give interviews for two weeks following her speech, which so far makes her a less substantial politician than Obama.

Yup how strange is that? She's is the gop vp nominee but she can't give interviews until she's briefed properly? She allows the gop to run an effective campaign because anything Obama says will be hyped up. Like that lipstick comment?

But I think the more we find out about her the less enthusiastic anyone outside the gop will be. Like the fact she charged the state of Alaska $17,000 for 312 nights she stayed at home??? Or the 40 thousand plus she charged Alaska to transport her kids. Personally I think Joe Biden will take it to her in their debate.

Offline ellie

« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »
Bobby, in our newspaper here in UK today, it stated that Obama was faling behind in the polls..is this true?
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline eric

« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »
Bobby, just stepping in for you for a second--It is turning into a very tight race; McCain got quite a bounce from white women for the Palin choice.  McCain is ahead by a few points nationally--and in certain states (but at this point all that matters is the state-by-state polls, because of the way the winner is decided).  There's certainly plenty of race left to be run.  The debates haven't even happened yet, and they are often major factors.

If the election were held today, Obama would beat McCain by less than 10 electoral votes (a complete squeaker of an election) and take the presidency.  But that includes about 105 electoral votes from undecided states just leaning one way or another, and these could still change in unpredictable ways.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:25:57 PM by eric »

Offline Bru

• http://www.brunazanelli.com
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2008, 04:33:58 AM »
Isn't anyone truly concerned that if McCain should get in, that awful woman will be one heartbeat away from the Presidency ?  The thought makes my blood run cold.  I have no desire to get into a heavy political debate about the US Presidency but IMO there is something very wrong about Palin and any man who publicly calls his wife a 'c**t', is hardly better.
Just my penny's worth ...
'if there's a friend who ever needs me,
I'll try to help somehow'
http://www.brunazanelli.com