Author Topic: X2 Manifesto  (Read 14285 times)

Offline X2 MANIFESTO

X2 Manifesto
« on: May 24, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »
New writers. New media. New thinking.

X2 MANIFESTO is currently open to submissions and is seeking innovative, bold and creative writers for this audacious new venture. We are currently in the process of negotiating corporate sponsorship, and are going to deliver the pinnacle of 21st century literature to our readers.  

X2 MANIFESTO will be available quarterly in a wide range of formats, with free print copies to be delivered to publishing houses, agents, and others in the publishing sector. Initial print release will be available in the UK, USA, and Canada. It is intended that X2 MANIFESTO will be a paying venture, but rates will be set when discussions with our sponsor are finalised.

We are seeking submissions of prose (including novel excerpts as well as short stories), poetry, photography and artwork.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:20:02 PM by Skip Slocum »

Offline SteveJ

• A Writer's Christmas - Out Now!
    • Salvatore Publishing
Re: X2 MANIFESTO
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:01:11 AM »
Sounds very interesting. :)
I'll definitely be submitting to X2 MANIFESTO. :)
A Writer's Christmas:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4931358

The Horde - Available Now:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4076371

Offline ChipTee

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 03:05:44 PM »
Probably obvious, but I'll ask anyway.
In the submission info X2MANIFESTO states;

'All work must be previously unpublished [...] and all writers must not currently have, or be about to sign, a contract with a publishing house.'

I take it that this qualification is specific to the submitted piece, not to any other work the author might be progressing.

... that I should be so lucky.

Chip

Offline X2 MANIFESTO

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:09:13 PM »
Hello, Chip,

The first qualification (of work being previously unpublished) is specific to the submitted piece. Any work you submit to us must not be published elsewhere. The second qualification, however, does relate to other work of the author. If you are undertaking contract negotiations with a publishing house, or currently have a contract, you are unfortunately not eligible to submit to X2 MANIFESTO.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

X2 MANIFESTO.

Offline eric

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 11:05:37 PM »
I'd just like to advise you that you, X2, are not eligible to accept any of my work, because you breathe.

Sorry.

Offline Conanthedoylarian

• Conanthedoylarian
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:33:19 AM »
Here I am guys with my usual question:

I could not find your payment rates on the website linked to above.  What are they please?

Offline eric

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:53:26 PM »
They don't pay, Conan.  Duh.  Read what they say.

• Conanthedoylarian
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 03:22:37 AM »
It would still be useful to know what they had in mind wouldn't it Eric (sorry eric)? Then those of us who don't want to waste our time helping out publications who don't pay have some idea what we are getting into, and what to budget for the work they want.

So worth asking the question I would have thought.

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 04:37:26 AM »
They say the following in their initial post here guys.

It is intended that X2 MANIFESTO will be a paying venture, but rates will be set when discussions with our sponsor are finalised.

It just needs a little patience. They can't give numbers till they know how much they've got to play with.

Offline eric

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 06:14:13 AM »
Yes.  Exactly.  What they say sounds to me like "We may pay in the sweet bye and bye, but we're not paying now."  To my ear that means, "we're not paying."  The rest is just to rope in writers. 

It could be I just don't have enough experience with such things to catch the right intonation, Paul, in which case I appreciate correction.  And of course Conan, if you want to go forward with your inquiry that is certainly up to you.

Offline SteveJ

• A Writer's Christmas - Out Now!
    • Salvatore Publishing
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 06:54:27 AM »
Exposure is every bit as important as payment, to new writers, so I've given it a go. :)
A Writer's Christmas:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4931358

The Horde - Available Now:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4076371

• Conanthedoylarian
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:23:21 PM »
They say the following in their initial post here guys.

It just needs a little patience. They can't give numbers till they know how much they've got to play with.

Yes Paul, thanks.  If I'd missed it first time round, eric certainly brought it to my attention.

It sounds like an exciting project and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone (who doesn't mind perhaps not getting paid) from contributing.

Some years ago, when I was helping to launch a small publishing company, we worked out very carefully how everyone who we needed to pay would get paid.  In setting our pricing policy, we budgeted a percentage for writers and told them what that would be and that it would be based on actual sales.  They knew where they were with us before they committed their work to us.

To have done otherwise would have been unfair to the writers, printers, etc., as well as being a very bad business plan.  In order to get things started, we had to invest capital (otherwise the printers, who HAD to be paid before sales could be made, wouldn't have wanted to know etc.).

I would encourage anyone contributing to this project to search for the publishers, Core 6, and see what they can find, remembering that they say they are "..... experts in print, on-line content delivery and emerging formats for the delivery  of the written word." See http://www.x2manifesto.com/about.html

I'm sure they can draw their own conclusions.

Offline X2 MANIFESTO

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 05:42:26 PM »
As already stated, X2 MANIFESTO is currently in negotiation with a major business regarding sponsorship, as well as several other companies considering making an investment. Until those negotiations are complete, we will not discuss ANY aspect of funding, whether that be promotional costs, production costs, cover price, advertising rates or payment to writers and artists. This is predominantly out of courtesy to potential sponsors. It might be an old fashioned attitude, but it is one we adhere to.

Any writers or artists who have work accepted will, as is the case in contract law, have the right to withdraw their submissions prior to signing a contract, at which time they will be fully aware of what payments are offered. Naturally, if they do not wish to wait until the negotiations are complete, they should simply not submit any material for consideration. It's a free world, and no one will force you to come over to our little bit of it.

It should also be noted what the aim of X2 MANIFESTO is. The project's goal is not to keep average writers afloat with the odd paying insertion. The goal, which we have refined with the help of several leading publishers and agents, is to present new and innovative writers seeking publishing contracts and/or representation by literary agents. We are seeking creative talent looking beyond what our project offers. We are not the destination, merely a short-cut to where such writers want to go. The reason X2 MANIFESTO is attracting funding is because of this; it's about nurturing the best, not keeping the mediocre in cigarettes and beer!

Finally, the aim of X2 MANIFESTO is to offer a stage for the best new writing talent to deliver their work to the publishing sector. In all honesty, if writers prefer to scratch around getting sporadic payments for occasional insertions, then they might find the ambition and drive demanded from contributors a little too rich for their blood.

Offline eric

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 11:01:06 PM »
Pass a Camel, will you?

SuzieHarris

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:21:36 AM »
In all honesty, if writers prefer to scratch around getting sporadic payments for occasional insertions, then they might find the ambition and drive demanded from contributors a little too rich for their blood.

This is an offensive comment to ALL aspiring writers. The only people, it seems, who will get their pockets lined from this venture is YOU.

Until those negotiations are complete, we will not discuss ANY aspect of funding, whether that be promotional costs, production costs, cover price, advertising rates or payment to writers and artists. This is predominantly out of courtesy to potential sponsors. It might be an old fashioned attitude, but it is one we adhere to.

It's not old fashioned, it's prehistoric. Writers have the right to know at least some information of future payments. Even if it is, as Conanthedoylarian states, an insight into the percentage they may expect to receive in the future. My publishing contract doesn't mention figures, it gives me a percentage, the actual money I get depends on sales. If they hadn't given me a clue of how much I could POTENTIALLY earn they could have shoved their contract up their asses.

Finally, the aim of X2 MANIFESTO is to offer a stage for the best new writing talent to deliver their work to the publishing sector.

You won't get the 'best new writing' by not being up front about your intentions with regards to payment. The best writers expect to be well paid, or at the very least given an idea of what they could expect to earn if they submit.

Before you go off on one saying I'm a 'bitter wannabe' I will tell you that I'm a successful freelance writer, author and writing tutor. I've been in this game a while now and I tell my students to be wary of non-paying markets. You work hard on a piece and to not be paid for it is ridiculous. Why should they line other people's pockets? With hardwork you can get PAYING gigs, and good ones at that.

it's about nurturing the best, not keeping the mediocre in cigarettes and beer!

I don't know you, or your company, but from what I have read  (not only on your site but in your replies here) I wouldn't come near you. But hey, that's my choice as a WELL PAID writer, right? Oh, and I'm NOT mediocre and I don't smoke or drink!

I say 'NO to MANIFESTO!'

Suzie

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 04:28:30 AM by Suzie »