Author Topic: How many words is a teenage fiction novel meant to be?  (Read 22673 times)

Offline Chanee

• View Profile
How many words is a teenage fiction novel meant to be?
« on: May 17, 2008, 06:57:32 AM »
Hello--

I've compiled my first official and very incomplete draft to my teenage fic novel! Now I'm just wondering what the average word count is for teenage fiction. Mine so far is on 38,114, but it's nowhere near finished.

Ciao,

Chanee

domenic

Re: How many words is a teenage fiction novel meant to be?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »
I would suggest you check with what publishers want; some are 30-40 or 50,000 words.
check  requirments in Writers market, or, look at like books in a book store; normal is 250-300 words per page.

Offline Chanee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »
Thanks domenic.

What is Writers market?

-C

domenic

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:17:37 PM »
It is a book published each year by Writers Digest. It has about 1050 pages. It tells how to write query letter etc..It list Literary Agents and Publishers..Each tells what they want and how to submit.
I get one every two years...When you find the agent or publisher that wants your type of work, Check them out on Preditors & Editors...if there is a warning on them here, do not submit to them.
The book cost about $30.00 (USD).
You can also find them at a liberary.

This book is a must for every writer.

Domenic

Nadine L

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »
Based on what my friend who writes YA does, she seems to write about 70,000 (or a bit more) words for her books (which are published by one of the large US publishers).

YA or young adult is the genre you should call this sort of book.

Also, you don't need to say fiction novel. Novels are fiction. Everyone makes this mistake in the beginning. Don't worry about it, just don't do make this mistake in your query letters.

Good luck, sounds like you have a good start.

Nadine

Offline Chanee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 02:46:18 AM »
Thanks for that info, Domenic.

Nadine - you're completely right. I guess I just wanted to make it really clear for whoever was reading. And Young adult is the correct genre for what I write. Thanks!

-C

Nadine L

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »
Both WRITER'S MARKET and WRITER'S GUIDE list info about US agents. Look for what your agents want. You can google to get some of them to get basic ideas.

The main thing is to write out the story, then do your rewrites. A good agent will advise you on any other tweaks before he/she can shop it.

Best wishes.

Nadine

Offline nightowl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »
I snipped a chart out of a writer's magazine a while back.  It say YA books may be, "15,000 to 80,000" words.  Quite a spread.  I'm working on a YA myself and I am aiming for 60,000, more or less.
As writers, we are all on the same path--some of us taking first steps, others well along on the road.  Those who write because they must are obliged to step over those who abandon their dreams because the way is rocky and steep.

Nadine L

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 10:01:38 AM »
I think the number increases with the age of the group you are targeting, but then again... look at Harry Potter. If your story is compelling, the length isn't an issue.

Nadine

Offline Chanee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »
If your story is compelling, the length isn't an issue.

That's true.

Offline John Yamrus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:00:23 AM »

I've compiled my first official and very incomplete draft to my teenage fic novel! Now I'm just wondering what the average word count is for teenage fiction.

why don't you be pro-active and take matters into your own hands.  go to a book store, check out the young adult section...maybe even BUY some books to get a feel for what people are doing and publishers are publishing.  don't just sit around waiting for people to tell you what to do and how to do it.  by now you should have already (long ago) walked into a book store and asked "hey, do you have any books on writing, or marketing my writing?"
     folks on this thread have given yuou a lot of good suggestions and hints (especially "Writer's Market", which you should turn into your bible)...but basically you should get out and do it yourself.  and now that your book is done, i hope you're just not sitting around, twiddling your thumbs, trying to figure out what to do with it...sit down and start another.  that's where becoming a writer begins and ends.  that's the whole entire secret to it all...the art of applying the ass to the chair.  that's the secret, my friend.  now you know it all.  that being said, you now owe me eleventybillion dollars for sharing that with you.
take care...
and good luck with your work.
best...
john yamrus
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

http://www.epicrites.org/

Offline patricia39

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 01:32:14 AM »
If I am asked about it, I would say that a teenage fiction novel should consist of 50,000 words. But my English teacher said that there should be no hard and fast rule with regards to this matter. You can tell the story in the number of words it takes to tell it.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:58:32 AM by patricia39 »