Author Topic: Embellished (Extremely short)  (Read 2661 times)

davidleejones13

Embellished (Extremely short)
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:58:51 AM »

I tried to grasp the event from my childhood, but several years had passed and added to the thickness of time's lens, leaving the memory blurry. Furthermore, the filters of my own pride and ego left the incident out of focus and unrecognizable. In the end, my vanity reversed the roles and I saw myself as the hero, and my saviour as villian. Now all that is left as recollection within my mind's eye fades to black is undeserved self adoration, coupled with the slightest wisp of guilt.

Now that the one I wronged is gone, I have no one to answer to but myself, and my ghostly nightmares.

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
Re: Embellished (Extremely short)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:19:17 AM »
Quite a short piece here, Lee, but deep nonetheless.

Are you going to add more to this? :)

davidleejones13

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:24:40 AM »
Louie,
I guess I was going for something short and thought provoking. Sometime I do not know where the random ones come from. Maybe I am channelling from some spirit residing in other worldly etheral plains. OR, it just could be the bad burrito I had for lunch messing with my mind....

Lee

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:32:45 AM »
This happened to me too...

This time it was a taco :)

Yeah, sometimes we write random things down, but mostly they're the best because it comes from inside our strange little guts.

davidleejones13

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 04:18:28 AM »
I have had too many lately I have not written down and lost forever.. Later on I think to myself,
what was that idea I had? All I know is that at the time I thought it was great....now nothing!

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 04:20:59 AM »
Those snippets are great, too! Never leave them behind at the back of your mind. I even use some of my snippets for my stories sometimes, and it really fit the bill. Makes it more intense, too...

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 04:34:19 AM »
About those little snippets...

If you always keep a spare document opened in the background whilst working on your main project you can just flip across and jot them down as and when they occur to you.  I figured this one out quite early on whilst I was still learning to use a word processor, and the tutor asked what I was doing.  I showed her my ad-hoc notes - including some about her style as a tutor! - and she was fascinated.  To me it just seemed obvious, but then I was a writer and not a typing tutor.

I used to do something similar back in the typewriter days.  Roll back the paper, feed another sheet in on top, roll forwards to start of spare sheet, type, and then roll that extra 'reminder' or whatever back out and resume normal service.  Made a right mess if you were using originally carbon to make copies though ;-)  All part of learning...

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:39:55 AM »
;D I keep a folder called 'My Ferrets' for all my little snippets. I lost some of them (most of them were crap, too), but at least ten of them are with me right now.

I haven't written any snippets for a while now...

davidleejones13

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »
GYPPO!
Thanks man, that is a great idea. You are kind of dating yourself with the typewriter though. I remember having to take typing in HS...NOT one of my favorite subjects.

I will start keeping an ad-hoc page open from now on. THanks for the useful advice. ;D

That Guy

I shall call my ad-hoc page My Ferrets in honor of you. And I shall pet him and comb him and I shall call him...

Lee

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
;D

The Ferret is our master, Lee. And we... its grasshoppers.

Offline dedelite

• Write for yourself, even if no one reads you.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 12:38:34 AM »
DLJ,
For a snippet it was very deep. I think we all remember things in a way that make us out to look bigger and better that we were and the others much more of a villain than we thought. I ran away from home one day, by night time I was back. Things weren't as bad as I thought.

dedelite

davidleejones13

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 04:53:45 AM »
Thanks Diane.
I hope all is well with you.
I really do appreciate you checking out my work, but I thank you more for being a great friend.

If you ever need me, email me here...

lee