Author Topic: Sticky: Read This First  (Read 27388 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Sticky: Read This First
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:36:46 AM »
The Gallery is a place to post your work if you don't particularly want feedback on it but just want to share it with your fellow members. Please use this board instead of the review boards in these cases.

All types of written work are welcome in The Gallery. Please preface the title with the type of work, e.g. poem or short story. If there is strong language or 'adult' content in it, please also provide a warning in the title. So an item might be titled:

Short Story: The Writer's Revenge

or

Poem: The Writer's Confession (some strong language)

or

Article: The Writer's Life (some adult content)

As always on Mywriterscircle, we ask you to bear in mind that this is an open forum and it can be read by children as well as adults. Strong language and other adult content are not excluded here, but a suitable warning must be provided in the title.

Note also that replies to items on this board are permitted, but should concern the work in question and not go off at a complete tangent (thread-hijacking). Please bear in mind also that people posting here are NOT looking for criticism, so please think carefully before making comments that might be construed in this way.

If you don't want any comments on your posts in The Gallery, you can request this in the post itself and/or the title, but the moderators will not be able to enforce this. The message-board software simply doesn't work that way!

We hope that this board will provide a suitable outlet for those members who simply want to share their work, and reduce the pressure on the review boards.

Nick  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:27:31 PM by Nick »
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Narnian Prince

Re: Sticky: Read This First
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:19:59 AM »
Like always, Nick, another of your great ideas comes to fruition!  :)

Looking forward to reading some of the stuff in here and, eventually contributing myself one day.  Thanks again, Nick!  :)

Chris

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:29:11 AM »
Thanks, Chris. Actually, though, the idea came from other members, in particular the mods. I was a bit doubtful at first, but eventually I was converted!

So - who's going to be the first to put their work up in the Gallery then?

Nick  :)

Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

davidleejones13

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:40:37 AM »
Nick,
I agree, I think this is a brilliant idea. This would be a great place for those who have ongoing series and "chapter" stories. This brainchild will be put to good use I am sure. There are a handful of excellent authors I can think of that this would facilitate nicely. I won't mention any names to protect the innocent! ;D

Thanks for putting this up!

Lee

Narnian Prince

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:41:36 AM »
A quick question for you, Nick.  Is there a word count limit?  I'll be keeping my stuff short but I'm just curious.  Thanks again!  :)

Offline Amie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • threegeese
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:41:48 AM »
Go on then Lee - move some of your stuff over!  ;D
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

davidleejones13

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 04:46:14 AM »
I would like to leave that honor to Ma100. I think she should be the first...
It may be the gentleman in me, or the fact I am a big fan of her work, I do not know which. ;D

It may be that I do not have enough confidence in my stuff to go first :-[

Lee

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 04:55:06 AM »
The un-gentlemanly and over confident Citabria grabs the first spot and then runs off.  ;D
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline Amie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • threegeese
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 04:57:24 AM »
Lee, I think you have enough of a following to be confident that your work is "good enough". Anyone can post here - it's not a sign that you think your work is above critique, simply that you are posting for other people's enjoyment, and don't have a specific issue that you would like to be addressed. This board is more for the series and things where the writer is posting because people are looking forward to seeing the next instalment, rather than because they want advice on how to improve it. So by all means, post your series here (and if ma has stuff that she doesn't want specific feedback here, then tell her to get her butt over here too ;D ) - and let me (or one of the other mods) know if you'd like some of the previous instalments moved over :)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

davidleejones13

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 05:30:38 AM »
Thanks Saturine,
You made me feel a bit more comfortable about it.
I will get on Ma. I have already sent a couple of PMs and made her two new hats, trying to lure her over.

Thanks for all of your help.
Lee

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 05:37:27 AM »
A quick question for you, Nick.  Is there a word count limit?  I'll be keeping my stuff short but I'm just curious.  Thanks again!  :)

No word count limit for the moment. Work posted here is for members' enjoyment rather than for critting, so the word count isn't such an important factor.

It might be an idea not to move all your work over at once, however. Better, I think, to move one or two pieces at a time and give members a chance to read and enjoy them before posting anything else here.

Nick  :)

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 05:42:24 AM »
It's my fault about Lee's stuff being here en-masse Nick. I think this will steady down after a day or so but there's bound to be a bit of imbalance until this transformational period is over. Sorry if one author seems to be dominating at the moment, it's just an inevitable result of moving stuff out of the review board.

I'd ask the members to bear with us while we get this all sorted out. it will settle down I promise.

Paul

Offline quixote

• View Profile
    • Web
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »

A good addition - I'm afraid that on my first visit to this part of MWC I didn't RTMF and come here first so included some crits in the comments. Well, will probably continue doing so, and leave the savage and brutal tearing apart thing for the proper review boards.

Q
Of every four words I write, I strike out three (N. Bolleau, 1636-1711)

“There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result.” Winston Churchill

Offline dynodreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »
Um. I apologize for mixing my oranges into your apple cart people. The  TEN MINUTE EXERCISE, obviously doesn't belong in this category. I could cut and paste into the games room and leave a forward to it using the original message but obviously can't move the other contributors  words. Can someone do that for me? Till then I guess we'll just continue on.
I'm a real dingbat sometimes... and I offer at least a dozen apologies to you for the trouble I've caused.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isn’t any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]

Offline bowmore bill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »
The Gallery is a place to post your work if you don't particularly want feedback on it but just want to share it with your fellow members. Please use this board instead of the review boards in these cases.

All types of written work are welcome in The Gallery. Please preface the title with the type of work, e.g. poem or short story. If there is strong language or 'adult' content in it, please also provide a warning in the title. So an item might be titled:

Short Story: The Writer's Revenge

or

Poem: The Writer's Confession (some strong language)

or

Article: The Writer's Life (some adult content)

As always on Mywriterscircle, we ask you to bear in mind that this is an open forum and it can be read by children as well as adults. Strong language and other adult content are not excluded here, but a suitable warning must be provided in the title.

We hope that this board will provide a suitable outlet for those members who simply want to share their work, and reduce the pressure on the review boards.

Nick  :) Hello Nick, i am brand new to this site and dont have a clue on how to get started...help.
bowmorebill