Author Topic: The Wizard War (Chapter Nine)  (Read 4840 times)

davidleejones13

The Wizard War (Chapter Nine)
« on: February 06, 2008, 03:11:52 AM »
The knight sped accross the final plain towards the castle gates at wreckless speed. His mind raced with what he was to tell his King.
How was he going to explain an enemy they had managed to keep in check for three decades suddenly routed his entire army within three hours?

His heart caught in his throat as he flashed back to that final battle. He could still feel the chill in his bones from the sudden and freak snow storm that fell with a vengeance upon the battle field. Snow was not due to this part of the world for three months yet, so they were caught unprepared. It was as if the storm had a mind of it's own.

Not that it would have made any difference for General Moncrede's forces seemed unaffected by the diluge of blustery weather.

He did not know wheather the sudden chill that ran down his spine was from the winter storm or from the way the Generals troops fought. They were as Banshees fighting with single minded precision. In all his years of battle he had never seen a battle so well orchestrated. It was a military masterpiecie.

His horse clomped accross the drawbridge and through the huge open gate at breakneck speed.

"Close the gates and the porticules!" He yelled at the gate guards over his shoulder, "The enemy approaches!"

His horse slipped on the wet coble stone road after he crossed the bailey and began the ascent up to the great hall.

His mind raced with how he was going to present this to his King.

As he reached the bottom of the great stone steps he reigned in his horse and leaped to the ground in one deft move. He was half way up the steps when the stable boy finally grabbed the reigns of his exhausted animal.

He blew past the two guards at the front door who saluted him with the due respect his rank demanded. He cross the outer foyer in less than ten seconds tearing off his outter cloak and throwing it unceremoniously to the marble floor.

He moved down the aisle to the base of dias and knealt before the Kings throne casting his eyes down to the marble floor.

"Rise General Frazelle." The Kings voice bounced about the hall, "Report the reason for your unformal manner."

"Yes my leige," He said respectfully and rose catching his breath to relay his news, "I am afraid we have been routed my Lord."

"What the heavens do you mean?" The King said an odd unconcern ressonating in his voice.

"Moncrede has broken our lines and marches to the castle!" Frazelle said emotion causing his voice to crack, "the war is at our gates!"

"My dear General," the King answered calmy, "A new and glorious era is about to begin for I have just made a deal that has just ended the war and has ensured a lasting peace."

"I-I do not u-understand." Frazelle stammered.

"Let me present to you," the King said motioning with a raised arm. "your new commanding field General."

General Frazelle followed the sweep of the Kings noble arm to see General Moncrede step from the shadows of the Great Halls corner.

Frazelle reached for the dagger in his belt for he would be damned if he was going to serve under his hated enemy.

As he grasped the daggers hilt he convulsed in disgust as his hand closed around several small black scaled snakes that were crawling up his armor clad body.
The last thing he heard with his free mind was the combined laughter of his King and Moncrede evilly echoing throughout the space of the Great Hall.

--------------> Somewhere in the Eastern Forest<----------------

Jerik momentarily hesitated at the yawing entrance of the dark cave. He knew the counter spell to the wards well and quickly recited them before stepping within.

He made his way down the blackness of the tunnel using his spell sight having to stop several times to unravel more wizard wards until he came to a great wooden door. He whispered a few words and the door silently slid open perfectly balanced on giant hinges.

Within the ante chamber beyond billions of insects swarmed the empty space forming a slithering undulating wall. He stepped forward and the seas of bugs parted creating passage to an inner door.

As he approached, the buzzing hum of countless insects all around him, the interior door swung inward. He stepped inside.

There upon a dark throne sat a dark hulking cloaked figured framed by two black armored soldiers. Jerik approached and bowed as low as he could to the sandy floor.

Suddenly an unseen force threw him back onto the sand bloodying his nose.

"You have failed me!" A great thundering voice bounced of off the cave walls. With a wave of his cloaked arm the door from whence Jerik had just came swung open. A few moments later he was swarmed by a cloud of biting and gnawing insects. He felt stinging pain from his head to his toe and even though the Dark One relented the assault half a minute later, it felt to Jerik like an eternity.

"I give you one more chance," The cloaked one shouted, "now go. Bring it back to me or suffer the consequences."

Jerik jumped to his feet, his skin rapidly swelling all over his body filled with insect venom. He bowed, and ran from the room as fast as his aching legs would carry him.

Offline WESTON

• "words are meaningless and forgettable"
    • View Profile
Re: The Wizard War (Chapter Nine)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »
enjoyed the horse ride. good job.

keep it up
the original...*ultra-anti-hero

*subject to perverse moods of alternate enthusiasm and melancholy

Offline Christopher Silva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:54:33 AM »
Good work Lee. Exciting stuff.

Chris
_____
Chris

http://christophersilva.wordpress.com/
http://writeabit.blogspot.com/

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »
Good stuff Lee but I think I must have missed some. :)

I will catch up.
Mairi

davidleejones13

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 12:21:42 PM »
Weston,
Thanks man. I try to make it exciting enough to keep people reading. Thank you for keeping up with this series. It means alot.

Chris,
I am only trying to keep up with you. I think your fanbase grows daily around here. You have been such a great influence on my writing I cannot thank you enough. BTW, thanks for the inspiration on this one mate!

Ma,
I have had fun with this one and there is more to come. I thank you for reading. You are so sweet, I probably could learn a thing or two from you on that subject about the 'other issue.' I just do not like to see people gettting slammed. There are a lot of good writers here I have come to care about through their work...

Thanks to all,
Lee

Offline WESTON

• "words are meaningless and forgettable"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »
da nada homes

im into it, ill keep readin as long as you keep writin. its some of the better writing on this site!

w
the original...*ultra-anti-hero

*subject to perverse moods of alternate enthusiasm and melancholy

davidleejones13

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:30:59 PM »
Thank you man.
That is very kind. There are a couple that would disagree with you.
This is why I keep writing, comments like this give me the confidence to keep a story going.
The TOOTHIE story was only supposed to last the first installment. I was going to leave it there and close the book on it.
I got so many requests to keep it going look where it has been. That is because kind comments like the one you just gave.
Thanks man,
That was really cool!

Your friend in writing,
Lee

Offline Age

• Oh R'lyeh? Cthul story, bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 01:29:46 AM »
He moved down the aisle to the base of dias and knealt before the Kings throne casting his eyes down to the marble floor.

Frazelle reached for the dagger in his belt, for he would be damned if he was going to serve under his hated enemy.

As he grasped the dagger's hilt, he convulsed in disgust as his hand closed around several small black scaled snakes that were crawling up his armor clad body.

The descriptions are very well done Lee, i liked this peice very much!  only small grammer issues i saw.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Don't forget to check out Flash Fiction Challenge #109!

davidleejones13

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 09:20:38 AM »
Thank you Age,
I will get to those when I have a little time off tomorrow.
I am going to have to hire you as my editor!   ;D

Your friend,
Lee