Author Topic: Freelancers  (Read 2019 times)

Offline mccpcorn

Freelancers
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:20:58 AM »
Hi again guys.

Re a couple of my previous notes, I'm just registering for the Freelancers site and wondering what people would suggest for me?  As a good writer, but with no previously published material, I'm understandably nervous about biting off more than I can chew.

These are the areas I'm thinking about going for:

Proofreading
Promotional Literature
Writing
Secretarial
PR
Research

Now I DO have a day job, so I am unsure about whether some of these can be handled practically in my free time to within a decent deadline.  However, a sudden situation has arisen where I need an immediate boost to income so I really find myself in a situation where selling my skill, however mundanely, has become necessary.

Offline Ken

Re: Freelancers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 12:13:56 PM »
I always encourage people to write about things that they enjoy.  The Internet is one of the easiest places to get published and build up your portfolio, so that you can move to higher paying jobs.  Good luck.

Offline Linda Aitchison

• A little bit about me x
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:17:46 AM »
Good luck with it - my only very slight concern, based on your asking re biting off more than you can chew, is that someone wanting you to do PR may have a lot more than writing in mind, but there's no harm in finding out about the opportunity then politely declining is there? 
<a href="http://www.freelancewritingtips.com">"Currently updating and adding to my book on freelance writing</a>

Offline mccpcorn

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 02:14:07 PM »
Yes as I said that is my chief concern.

As much as I want to write for enjoyment I certainly have no qualms about writing for money. ;)  I just need to find the opporunities, but something very basic for now; I don't need big bucks because even a hundred quid would be manna from heaven for me. XD

Offline Linda Aitchison

• A little bit about me x
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 02:21:56 PM »
The regional glossy magazines pay about 100 per 1,000 words - would seem as good a place as any to start - with features on local characters/events/places of interest..

Good luck
<a href="http://www.freelancewritingtips.com">"Currently updating and adding to my book on freelance writing</a>

Offline Joanna

• Joanna Sayers
    • Joanna Sayers - Freelance Writer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 11:13:42 AM »
I agree with Linda - magazines are a good source of income for freelance writers.  Also consider writing website content.  If you have a day job I think PR work is too time consuming.  Writing about things that are of interest to you is a good way to start - so look at where these types of articles get published.  You could place a small ad in a local paper advertising letter writing skills if that's your forte - not big bucks but could help a little and give you a confidence boost too. 

Best of luck

Joanna