Author Topic: IS AUTHORISATION TO REPRINT A RECIPE NECESSARY?  (Read 4253 times)

Offline akuaniambi

IS AUTHORISATION TO REPRINT A RECIPE NECESSARY?
« on: January 12, 2006, 04:59:10 AM »
DEAR WRITERS CIRCLE,

I AM NEW TO THE CIRQUE. I WANT TO  WRITE AN OUTLINE FOR A RECIPE BOOK AND I AM WONDERING DO I NEED TO OBTAIN PERMISSION FROM A WEBSITE IF I FIND A RECIPE I WANT TO PLACE IN MY BOOK? ALSO, I AM WONDERINGIF ANY ONE CAN SHOW ME A SAMPLE BOOK OUTLINE.

MUCH SUCCESS,
AKUA :)

SuzieHarris

Re: IS AUTHORISATION TO REPRINT A RECIPE NECESSARY?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:05:19 AM »
Hi,

In my opinion, yes you need permission. The last thing you need is a law suit. Even if you didn't need permission, it always good to ask.

Suzie

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 06:31:57 AM »
If you're going to copy the recipe word for word, then yes, you should ask permission. On the other hand, if you are simply 'borrowing' the basic idea, I don't think this is necessary.

There is a basic principle that applies here, which is that copyright exists in the form of words used. You cannot, in most instances, copyright an idea.

Nick GM
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline wealthyblogger

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 01:14:51 PM »
Lists of ingredients are not copyright. Description and instructions are.

The US Copyright factsheet on this matter says:
Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

WB