Author Topic: this guy tells me  (Read 2574 times)

Offline John Yamrus

this guy tells me
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »
this
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:45:10 AM by John Yamrus »
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

http://www.epicrites.org/

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
Re: this guy tells me
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:53:29 PM »
I'm not as keen on this one as I am on most of yours. I do still like it, just not as much as some of the others. I've been trying to work out why, and I think it's because I don't know anything about the person you're having this conversation with. Is he someone who writes poetry himself (and therefore being somewhat self-deprecating) or does he see himself as an anti-intellectual (thus mistaking poetry as the preserve of academics) or is he just someone who likes to be contrary? (much like citabria ;) )

Because otherwise, it's a nice irony, his transition from "sophistry" to "sophisticated truth", the sophistry in his own argument. And I love the ending: "look it up" ;D
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:15:22 AM »
can't hit a home run every time...sometimes you've just gotta settle for second base.
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:23:46 AM »
I have to say, you haven't got a bad batting average at all ;D
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:35:19 AM »
thanks.  and i wasn't sure how many would get my baseball reference.
and that batting average response of yours brings up a question.  do you keep old poems?  poems that weren't for one reason or another completely up to your standards?  me?  if i can't find some magazine to publish any given poem after a very short time i throw it out.  right now i've got a total of 4 poems in my stack of unpublished stuff.  even those are currently waiting answers from one magazine or another.  speaking of magazines...yesterday i had a really nice surprise...i got my contributor's copies to the latest issue of Chiron Review, and in it there was poetry by one of the first people who ever contributed to the first magazine i ever edited and published.  That was back in 1975 and the magazine was called Et Cetera and the guy's name is Will Inman...he's now 88 and still writing.  i'd lost touch with him and...88...i'd figured...well, needless to say, i signed a copy of my latest book and wrote him a letter and got it in the mail to him immediately.  Will Inman!  what a great surprise that was.

Offline IJG

• It's from inside Earth, the heat; not us: Hide
    • UK Poet Ivor Griffiths
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 12:10:44 PM »
It's a bit boring. It's not really poetry at all, more a self conscious shooting yourself in the foot creative writing exercise from class that the others said was well cool, to be polite, or something like that anyways. I think the essential element that is missing is an overt poetic, as it is it's more a potage of stuff and cleverness all rolled up in a ball of hairy string. Almost as if it has the attributes of a cryptic crossword that's too easy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:13:39 PM by IJG »
"Automagically the game restarted; by chance a leaf fell at our feet. Brittle and  veined with shades of umber. Delicately it crunched, like a shuffled deck."
Jacob Stillmarner, The Melody Of The Lucky Not Good, 1944

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 02:32:30 PM »
It's a bit boring. It's not really poetry at all, more a self conscious shooting yourself in the foot creative writing exercise from class that the others said was well cool, to be polite, or something like that anyways. I think the essential element that is missing is an overt poetic, as it is it's more a potage of stuff and cleverness all rolled up in a ball of hairy string. Almost as if it has the attributes of a cryptic crossword that's too easy.

thanks...i appreciate your incite and expertise.  i'll keep that in mind.
jy

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 11:28:32 PM »
do you keep old poems?  poems that weren't for one reason or another completely up to your standards? 

I keep everything, even the original notes and successive revisions. I once threw out all of my writing, about ten years ago (I wrote mostly short stories back then, and thought the process of writing was making me crazy. you see, i was a little crazy then, more so than now ;) ), big bags full of the stuff, and I really regret it now. Because every so often I'll come across a snippet, part of a story that escaped the cull because it was tucked away in an odd place, or written in the margins of a lab book or sketch book or whatever, rather than in the files that got chucked - and I think, "those weren't bad - why did I throw them all away?"

So now I keep it all. Some things I write aren't intended for external consumption anyway, I just keep them for myself and maybe one or two friends - so failure to publish something wouldn't be a reason for me to get rid of something. I even have some poems that I rather detest now, but I keep them anyway, as it's all part of the learning process and an electronic file doesn't take up any space in the house :)

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 08:08:07 AM »
Sat, that's really interesting and thanks for sharing your thoughts on that.  i seem to be the exact opposite of the spectrum.  there's even a few of my early books that i wish would disappear.  i'm pretty much a pack rat with everything else in my life...but the poems?  they're disposable.
jy

Offline IJG

• It's from inside Earth, the heat; not us: Hide
    • UK Poet Ivor Griffiths
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »

thanks...i appreciate your incite and expertise.

You need all the help you can get mate.
"Automagically the game restarted; by chance a leaf fell at our feet. Brittle and  veined with shades of umber. Delicately it crunched, like a shuffled deck."
Jacob Stillmarner, The Melody Of The Lucky Not Good, 1944

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »

You need all the help you can get mate.

i've managed to muddle thru.  maybe one day it'll pay off.
john