Author Topic: Earth Hour!...........Did you participate?  (Read 6753 times)

Offline ronshannon76

• "I am encouraged by my writing Peers!"
Earth Hour!...........Did you participate?
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:02:49 AM »
Hey everyone!

Did your lights go off?

I don't know if I am qualified to start this thread. However, I feel compelled to tell eveyone about the events that happened just a few hours ago. I just read this on wikipedia, and on google's home page, that last year they started a trend to turn off all the lights on a global scale from 8 - 9 pm your local time, calling it, Earth Hour.

Apparently, On March 29, 2008, is supposed to mark the second anniversary in this global unity. I for one have not heard about this until just now. My family and I try to do our part in energy conservation. However, we know that what we do is still not enough and continue to try more ways in helping.

I like the idea that we on a global scale can unite for even one hour, no matter what time zone you are in. I just wish I had known about this sooner! I would have participated.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you participated in this earth hour? Did you know about this? Will you take part next year? Any thoughts would be great. Anyone have more info to provide would be much appreciated.

I think if we can all get together on this since this forum has members from across the globe, then we as a whole can make a difference by doing our part.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Ron
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 04:07:13 PM by ronshannon76 »

Lin

Re: Earth Hour!...........Did you participate?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:52:46 AM »
From one conservationist to another - thanks for the information - I had heard about this but I didnt know the date!!

I doubt if anyone does =- so maybe you can let us know a bit earlier next year to remind us.   I have put energy savings bulbs around the house and once they are warmed up they are as bright as any 60 watt bulb.

I need people like you to help with the orangutans!!   

Lin x x x

Offline WESTON

• "words are meaningless and forgettable"
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 12:15:49 PM »
i had my lights off between 8 and 9 during earth hour. its a great idea, would like to know how many people did do it.

Lin- the orangutans will not think of depleted natural resources until they run out of bannanas. oooh, ooooh, ahh, ahhh

w
the original...*ultra-anti-hero

*subject to perverse moods of alternate enthusiasm and melancholy

Offline Wurdsmyth

• A sparkly little optimist in a dark, dark world
    • Miranda's website
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »
I did it! Cracked open the candles, switched off my lights and spent an hour feeling all warm and glowy knowing I was doing something small but symbolic! It's a great idea - it won't change the world, but it makes you feel like you're making a point, so even though I was the only house in the street without the lights on, it kind of felt good!  ;)
Need a dash of optimism or just a good read? Visit my blog at www.coffeeandroses.blogspot.com
I also have a swanky writing website - oh yes - and you're all invited! Pop over to www.miranda-dickinson.com
GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESSIE: My new novel, A Parcel for Anna Browne, is out now (PanMacmillan) :)

Lin

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 11:42:16 AM »
I suggest all MWC members turn their lights off for half an hour on Friday!  I will if you will please sign up here!!  Time 9.30pm

Lin x x x

Offline charlie

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »
I will join you in the dark Lin, I did earth hour last year but I was away this year and forgot about it.

Charlie. x

Offline ronshannon76

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 03:23:33 PM »
Since I didn't know about it this year and had just missed it by a few hours, I think it is a great idea. Let's all take a stand and have a "Earth half-hour" , 9:30pm your local time. I still have seven hours to go for me though.

Does that included computers and kids nightlights? My son will be asleep by then!

Who else will join the half-hour tribute?

-Ron

Offline charlie

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »
half an hour on Friday!
I still have seven hours to go for me though.

How far are you from us Ron.

Charlie. x

Offline ronshannon76

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 03:43:21 PM »
I live in Texas! so my time zone reads, 2:42 pm right now. Are we going to do it on friday instead? I guess that would get more of us in on it!

-Ron
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:58:18 PM by ronshannon76 »

Offline charlie

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
I think you have missed the point domenic.

Charlie. x

Offline ronshannon76

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
Hey Dom, I have to admit, that was cute! Funny too! I think i will try that later!

-Ron

Offline charlie

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »
Right here and they are free have as many as you like.  :)

Charlie. x

Offline Rayne

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »
I had come across the Earth Hour page a couple of months ago and signed up.  The house was actually very well lit from the candles I had placed and with the windows open I was able to turn off the air conditioning (this is Arizona).
I waited until 9:45 before I turned a light back on.

Lin

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »
OK Im up for it.  9.30 it is

Good yer MWC's

Lin x x x x

Offline charlie

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »
Well that is England, Holland and Texas covered. Anyone else?

Charlie. x