Author Topic: Who has a domain website?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
Who has a domain website?
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
Hi guys,

I am in the process of getting some graphics done for a new website. This time, I am planning to buy a co.uk domain and have it hosted. Was wondering who is doing at mo and if so, what co. did you use?  I have seen one that offers 3 month free trial and then it would cost 13 per year to keep it hosted.   Also, for those who have a domain, do you tend to get much feedback as a result of it, as opposed to simply having a free site?

Thanks,

Lorraine

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
Re: Who has a domain website?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 10:18:52 AM »
I'm in the middle of setting up my own, carolynsheppard.co.uk, and I've used UK2 to register the domain but I'll transfer it once I've got the content sorted.

Using one of the site builders is ok, if you aren't that happy doing programming yourself or using web building software, but it really depends what you want the site for.

There's some talented web folks on here, I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Carrie

Offline Jakey

• Sometimes words fail me. Sometimes I fail words.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »
I've used "Doyourown site" in the Uk, even though I live in Germany. I have found the site easy to use in building it up how I wanted it. I paid for a .com rather than .co as I wanted to hit internationally. I have got a reasonable package as I have a lot of pages, it's worth checking a few out.

If you tink you only need a side or two of test and simple picture (not selling anything...) then a freebie should be enough for you. Some run for longer than three months.

Another company I checked out was reason8.

Do a search on "Build a web site" and other variants, and I'm sure you could get the best for your needs. Once you have a collection of sites, but have more questions, PM me and I will see what I can do to help you.

Jakey
one two three...testing testing...one two three...

Offline jeanette

• jeanette's website
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:26:27 PM »
my website host is Lycos (although my website isn't finished yet).
They have a cracking deal for domain name and start up site at the moment, and offer free website software to get you up and running. Take a look and see if it's for you
\"Abandoned\" is available from www.lulu.com/content/2072117<br /><br />\"the Dragon\'s Promise is available from<br />www.lulu.com/content/8075592<br />visit my website at www.jeanettemccarthy.co.uk

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
The company that I use is called Krystal Hosting. My partner who is a website designer uses them for most of the sites that he does. They have different packages available named after different crystals, depending on the level of service that you need. They are a small company, but growing, and seem to offer excellent service, with real human beings that you can talk to. Your own domain name is always preferable to one of those free ones, as it makes you much more visible and easy to find - particularly important when you self publish, as the internet is one of the most important ways to market your work, which is used not only by readers wishing to know more about your work, but in my case also the press and book stores. 

They can be found here www.krystal.co.uk

I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

domenic

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 06:47:45 PM »
This is a very good and easy web site to use; networksolutions.com  It cost $11. (usd) per month, or, $119. per year.
A good easy free site is Ning.com Easy to do, looks good and is free.

What ever you use, you will have to get the site known, or no one will know it's there. A good place is here on MWC. Just ask the folks here to help spread the word. I would suggest you start with a free site (like ning.com) and get the feel for how things are done.
 Good luck

Domenic

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 04:15:32 AM »
I would persoally start as I mean to go on, as otherwise when you are ready to start to move to a domain name, you will lose all your search engine placement and have to start again. It can take months to build this up. A lot of people think that you have to submit to search engines and pay them for your placement, and although you can, this is not necessary at all. Robots crawl the internet looking for things of interest and if you get sufficient hits then you will automatically get googled without having to pay a thing. The trick is to get as many people as possible to link to you (not the other way around) and have articles on many different subjects. It has worked for me - an article I posted on another site got googled last week within 2 hours of my submitting it !   
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 04:36:52 AM »
I agree with June (Talisman). Buying a domain and hosting nowadays is so inexpensive that going for a free service is likely to be a false economy.

Personally I use 1 & 1 (www.1and1.co.uk) for sites which require PHP or other more advanced features and Doteasy (www.doteasy.com) for basic HTML websites. Doteasy give you basic hosting free if you buy your domain name through them.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Conanthedoylarian

• Conanthedoylarian
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 07:56:31 AM »
I use Ipower in the states at around 50 a year.

www.ipower.com

My writing site hosted by them is www.conanthedoylarian.com

They offer a lot of templates and the editing system is really easy to use.