Author Topic: Need info on AWAI: Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting. Scam????  (Read 17780 times)

Offline cmen

• View Profile
Hey, I've come across the American Writers & Artists Inc. (AWAI) on one of my writing websites. It's a course called "Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting" and of course they want plenty of money, like $350. Anyone tried this or know anyone who has? Anything bad to say about them? Is this a scam? I got the initial materials to see what it was about and of course everything was so vague that you'd have to order the other materials to see what they are talking about.  Comments? Suggestions?  Is this legit?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Clay

Nadine L

Clay,

I haven't heard anything about them. The vague part is always a red flag for me too. $350 USD is a bit rich for my budget (but I have kids in Univeristy...).

Let me ask you this, how was the copy writing on their material? If they have testimonials in there material with the full name or some identifying factor you can google, give that a try. Maybe those people will have a website and you can contact them for their opinion. Just a thought.

I'll go ck a couple of beware type sites. If I find anything either way, I'll post the links for you.

Nadine
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:31:51 PM by Nadine L »

Nadine L

Looked here under services and software and didn't see anything. http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/peesla.htm

Didn't really know where to find it on here, but it's another useful site.
http://www.sfwa.org/beware/

Not much help, I'm afraid...sorry.

Nadine

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
AWAI has been discussed a few times before on MWC. Click on the Search tab at the top of this page and you should be able to find the relevant topics without too much difficulty.

FWIW, I don't think AWAI is a scam (a much over-used word on the Internet, in my opinion). You do have to make allowance for a certain amount of understandable 'hype' in their advertising copy, however.

I agree that $350 is a fair chunk of money, but on this course you do get one-to-one advice and feedback from a professional copywriter, and you must expect to pay a reasonable sum for this. I don't think it's a ridiculous fee, therefore. If you enrol on the comprehensive creative writing course with the Writers Bureau - the UK's top correspondence college for writers - the fee is currently 274, which at current exchange rates works out as well over $500.

If you just want to learn the basics of copywriting, and don't need the feedback from a tutor, our forum sponsors WCCL have just released a very good guide called The Ultimate Copywriter. It costs a mere $40. You can read my full review of it here:

http://www.mywritingblog.com/writer/2008/03/review-ultimate-copywriter.html

Hope this helps,

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

domenic

I agree with Nick as to the word scam. For the past several months I have challenged those who use the term. Writers have come to a point where they believe that all things sold should be free, and those who charge for a service or goods are a scam.
People go to jail for doing a scam; but they go to court first.
Some vendors are called a scam if the postal service is late. Some products and services are not very good. They are just bad products or services. As of late, people who use the term scam, are finding they have to prove it in a court of law.
Contact the company and ask for more detail. If you can't get it, don't buy it.

Domenic
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:51:39 PM by domenic »

Offline vijayr

• View Profile
I'm in two minds too, about the course.  Want to take it, but the price is high for my budget.  But they do have a month payment option, might be a good idea to take it for a month or two and see how it goes.

When I was searching for info on AWAI, I came across this site - http://www.copyprotege.com/  Its run by two successful copywriters, who have taken the AWAI course.  Just give them your email, they'll send you a report, which is basically a QA session with them - lots of interesting and useful info.  They talk about their early years, goals etc.

Wolfe

http://www.friendsinbusiness.com/board1/index.cgi/noframes/read/121586

Please make your own judgment.

Wolfe
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:34:17 PM by Wolfe »

Offline ed

• View Profile
Hey, I've come across the American Writers & Artists Inc. (AWAI) on one of my writing websites. It's a course called "Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting" and of course they want plenty of money, like $350. Anyone tried this or know anyone who has? Anything bad to say about them? Is this a scam? I got the initial materials to see what it was about and of course everything was so vague that you'd have to order the other materials to see what they are talking about.  Comments? Suggestions?  Is this legit?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Clay

As someone who does internet marketing for a living. $350 is not much for a copywriting course

i paid for a package from yanik silver cost me $1475 paid it in 3 installments ( now anyone who knows copywriters, knows Yanik Silver he is one of the best )

Good copywriting services for a webpage if your paying someone else to do it can cost you anywhere from $1000 to $10,000 depends on the copywriter.

It can mean the difference between making little money online to a lot.

Offline ed

• View Profile
clayton makepeace is another great copywriter he has a package at makepeacetotalpackage.com
Also Michael Fortin is another

one guy i really recommend though out of the lot is guy called " john carlton '

Oh and Alan Forest Smith from orangebeetle
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:17:12 PM by ed »

Offline ed

• View Profile
I could create a list here if someone wants it just let me know

Offline vijayr

• View Profile
Yes, a list would be great, thank you.

But the question still remains - if I have money and time to invest in one and only one course, which one should it be?  Lets say the budget is $300-$500, and the time is an average of 2 hours (more on holidays) for 8-12 months ???  ::)

Offline ed

• View Profile
Yes, a list would be great, thank you.

But the question still remains - if I have money and time to invest in one and only one course, which one should it be?  Lets say the budget is $300-$500, and the time is an average of 2 hours (more on holidays) for 8-12 months ???  ::)

You have 2 hours a day to spare

you mean to learn

Offline vijayr

• View Profile
yes, to learn.

Offline ed

• View Profile
thats plenty of time.. Ill search around and let you know what I come up with

Offline vijayr

• View Profile
Thank you.  It may not be two hours every single day, but I'm confident I can average that much.  Obviously I can spend more time on holidays and weekends :-)  I assume that'll be the case with most people, working full time.

I found this,

http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/newsletters/zfkj_hands_on_experience.htm

when I was looking for info.  Hope its useful to someone.