Author Topic: Lockers. Where are they?  (Read 8511 times)

Offline ronshannon76

• "I am encouraged by my writing Peers!"
Re: Lockers. Where are they?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »
Shopping malls still have lockers. But, I think they clean them out nightly. I don't know if that applys to UK, but US is like that.
-Ron

Offline CollegeGuy

• You'll call it fate, I'll call it karma
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 09:05:35 PM »
To rent a locker at a train station you need money, and thats it. at least around here.

Amusement parks go through all of the lockers each night after they close (long story about how i know that).

How about a large post office box? You need a forwarding address, but it can be botched so it doesn't really matter. Plus, unless the location is extremely important, you could get by just as well using a post office box or even a safety deposit box in a bank...

~~Collegeguy~~
This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In...

Offline Xerika

• Rob Johnson - writing, podcasting and reluctantly olive farming
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 09:14:26 PM »
Domenic. Not sure what you mean by men's locker clubs or if we have them in the UK or if I'm just being naive. Anyway, I'm surprised at you that you should suggest that fiction shouldn't have a basis in authenticity  ;).

Paul. Checked out the link and decided to give up writing and do dodgey stuff instead. P.S. Also looked up Master Criminals Inc on Google and top of the listings was "MWC - Contact Rubber Duck".

Ron. Thanks for that. I don't know if it's the same in the UK as I don't live there any more but perhaps some Brit shopaholics could advise me.

CG. Money's not an issue with the person who deposits the weird thing. (I'd be interested to hear your story about amusement parks sometime by the way.) PO Box? Yes. Maybe as simple as that.

Anyway, feeling somewhat somnolent now as it's well late here so I'm off up the wooden stairs to Bedfordshire.

Thanks for the comments so far and please do keep them rolling in whilst I slumber.
http://rob-johnson.org.uk/ - writing, podcasting and reluctant olive farming

"I'd Rather Eat My Own Face" podcast. The truth about olive harvesting. http://wp.me/p2bC2C-8U

"If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it." - Elmore Leonard

Offline CollegeGuy

• You'll call it fate, I'll call it karma
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 11:50:05 PM »
my story involves a lot of stolen souvenirs, a few angry parents, and a ton of great friends, making for one hell of a time.

I'm sure you can put it together.
This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In...

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 03:17:41 AM »
You could set it in the past, say 1980's or early 1990's. There used to be public lockers in train stations then that anyone could use.
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »
Hospital staff have lockers, too. And kids in boarding schools in fact, maybe even any secondary school level kids.  Sports halls ...

Or it could be the key to a storage space? I mean - a larger sort of storage space - for holding stuff too big for your house, for example - more like a very small room. These would be accessible by the public with a key (and easy to rent, too). Just a slightly 'larger' locker, but it could work in your story and gives you good ground to manoeuvre.

Symphony

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »
Lockers in shops...  A few years back one of the big stores in Bournemouth had lockers with see-through fronts.  Your stuff would be safe enough, but anyone could see at a glance if you shoved a dog or troublesome child in there ;-)

More reently my eldest rented a 9 foot 'cube' at a self-service storage facility whilst 'between houses'.   The same place also had three foot cubes advertised as being 'ideal for students'.  All you needed was the key - and you could provide your own padlock or trust theirs - and a four letter code to get into the building 24/7.  We made several visits and never saw anyone else there, no matter what time of day.

The three footer would be ideal for hiding quite a bit of stuff and it would remain locked as long as you kept up the payments.  You could have easily folded a limp body into one - as it says, 'ideal for students' - and no-one would know until it started to smell.  (I was thinking of two people going into the building and only one coming out...)

There was a large notice in the entrance saying that the owners reserved the right to open lockers which they thought were being used illegally, and a request for all users to keep an eye open in case   terrorists might be using them.  It even included the dire warning that 'It is illegal to store explosives or livestock' in these lockers'.  Damn, I was really looking forward to stuffing a locker with pigs wearing Semtex belts ;-(

It was an eerie place to visit at 2am.  Miles of empty corridors in three levels, quiet music playing softly, wind rustling and whistling under the eaves of the building.  As a writer I couldn't help picturing a running gunfight with bullets ricocheting off the walls, or a stalker living in one of the bigger lockers and pouncing on lone visitors.  Good place for a drug dealer to keep his bulk supplies.  Great floor for skateboarding too ;-)

In the lobby part there were some reasonably comfortable chairs and a canned drinks machine.  If you were truly between houses you could have used your code to get in and 'hole up' overnight.

There were signs about video cameras, but if there were any other cameras apart from those on the entrance they were well hidden.  I expect when they played the overnight images they wondered what that 'daft old bugger in the cammo jacket' was looking for  ;-)

Gyppo   
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Xerika

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Saturnine. Has to be present day unfortunately.

Symphony. It has to be somewhere that's easily accessible to the public. The storage space idea is interesting but the locker or whatever doesn't have to be very big and I'm not sure how anonymous you can be at those kind of places.

Gyppo.
I was really looking forward to stuffing a locker with pigs wearing Semtex belts
Damn. How did you know that's exactly what my character finds? I'll have to start all over again now  :).

"I'd Rather Eat My Own Face" podcast. The truth about olive harvesting. http://wp.me/p2bC2C-8U

Offline CQWeave

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
   Sort of off topic. . .

A body was found in a storage unit in a nearby town
here in Massachusetts a few years ago.

Suddenly, I'm interested in researching the particulars.
   There must be more about it I missed.
CQ
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."  Shakespear in Hamlet

Offline dynodreamer

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 03:02:18 AM »
It looks like I've got to revamp my movie script a little. I was planning for the lady in the blond wig to pick up the incriminating evidence at a locker in the bus station. Times, they still are-a-changing
Now I gotta go down town and check this out.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isnít any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]

Offline Xerika

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »
CQ. Even though my character doesn't find a body in the locker or storage unit, I'd be interested to know if you find any links to the Massachusetts story.

Dynodreamer. Seems like we're trying to solve the same kind of problem. Let us know what you find out down town.

Offline CQWeave

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
Hi again, Xerika,

I spent a little time (4 hours) researching the story. What a tangent I can go on sometimes!

I don't know how to post links, but if you Google (storage locker body)
you will get LOTS of stories.

I first just started with the Whitman, Massachusetts story. That led to Arizona.  Then there are stories in Illinois, Texas, Ohio and more.  I still
haven't found out what the outcome of the Whitman case. 

You will let us know, where you eventually hide the key?
CQ   
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."  Shakespear in Hamlet

Offline Xerika

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 08:08:50 PM »
Hi CQ,

I found various bits and pieces about the Whitman case - very strange. I know you know this but other people might be interested to hear that it involved a 73 year old man with the interesting name of Oral Wayne Nobles who had a fight with his 63 year old room-mate, Kenneth Stuart.

Stuart died and Nobles cut up the body and stored the pieces in a freezer in a storage locker for three years! The body was only discovered when somebody noticed a foul smell coming from the unplugged freezer.

This is only a summary and if anyone wants more detail, have a look at http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-166302700.html.

He was sentenced to eleven years in prison - http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-167921225.html?Q=oral%20wayne%20nobles.

You will let us know, where you eventually hide the key?

CQ. I know where the key is found. The problem I've been trying to sort out is what the key opens  ;D.

Offline CQWeave

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 10:30:38 PM »
Hi Xerika,

Thank you for the links.  Fascinating, don't you think?

I learned from you a little about searching.  I didn't search
the man's name.  Did you use Google or another search engine?
A drive across country (Arizona to Massachusetts) with U-Haul
must have taken days!

I could not believe how many people use storage units to hide bodies.
They are all over the map.  Ranging from mummified child's body to
73 year old's roommate.

CQ
PS  About the key, can you tell (do you know yet) what is found in the     hiding place after you unlock it?

Offline dynodreamer

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 11:54:48 PM »
My gosh! Lockers are by nature a temporary place of storage. Where does a murderer find even a nit of solace stuffin his x-friend in one?
Could be he thinks his head will clear, and he'll come up with the appropriate place later on maybe.
One of the best places to stash your evidence is in freshly poured office building or motorway bridge foundations I'm thinkin.
 ~Xerika ...
My nervous lady has to recover a Hi-8 cassette containing a record of the illegal activities of a senator. Before he gets reelected and gains access to the major purse strings of congress and fronts his evil scheme with the peoples money they need to and blow the lid off his plans. Since her and her husband are fighting against the senators ability to go back in time and thwart those who might want to thwart him, this proves to be particularly problematic...almost impossible in fact but they try.
[The bus station in downtown Toronto is my mental model. They used to have lockers, a shoe shine set up and [I think] a dry cleaners.]
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isnít any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]