Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 411702 times)

Offline Neghe

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1605 on: October 02, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »

61 Hours.
“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #1606 on: October 02, 2013, 02:20:05 AM »
I've read most of the Karin Slaughter books. It starts with a doctor living in a small time, where her ex-husband is the sheriff. Blindsighted is the first.

I thought her one-off Triptych was better than all her series books! Will is in that book, so it does fit with his series (not sure if Triptych launched him as a new character or he already existed in the other series). Anyway, if you haven't read it, take a look.  :)
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1607 on: October 03, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »
The Wisdom of Psychopaths
Prof. Kevin Dutton

I'm finding it really interesting. It's about the social benefits of being a psychopath.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Oceaxe

« Reply #1608 on: October 03, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
The last train To Scarborough by Andrew Martin

Another adventure of Jim Stringer "Steam Detective"  - I'm reading the whole series, I just love them.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

W.B. Yeats (1865–1939)

Offline Neghe

« Reply #1609 on: October 03, 2013, 08:08:05 PM »
The Wisdom of Psychopaths
Prof. Kevin Dutton

I'm finding it really interesting. It's about the social benefits of being a psychopath.

There are no social benefits of being a psychopath. Well...to the psychopath, sure, but none for society. I suspect this guy is one, and is doing what they do best and dissimalating, rationalizing, and justifying. I'll have to read this one. If only for laughs.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1610 on: October 03, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
There are no social benefits of being a psychopath. Well...to the psychopath, sure, but none for society. I suspect this guy is one, and is doing what they do best and dissimalating, rationalizing, and justifying. I'll have to read this one. If only for laughs.

Do you understand that not all psychopaths are violent murderers? He's talking about a complex, clinical condition with a sliding scale of behavioral traits.

Offline Neghe

« Reply #1611 on: October 03, 2013, 10:14:47 PM »
Do you understand that not all psychopaths are violent murderers? He's talking about a complex, clinical condition with a sliding scale of behavioral traits.

Most are not serial murders. In fact serial murders are a sub-classifacation. And I do understand. LIke I said I will read this book. What woulld one more after the hundred sixty or seventy that I've read so far matter. There are some that have put forth that psychpathy is a evolutionary left-over from when we needed it to servive alone in a savage wilderness. The problem there is that we (humens) always were pack animals. Even Neanderthals--now that it has been proven that we obsorbed them into our spesies--were group orineted. The best explanation so far (though it has not been proven) is that it is both a birth defect and serious indifference, neglect or down right hostilety recieved from birth to three months which may be the cause.   

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1612 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
Most are not serial murders. In fact serial murders are a sub-classifacation. And I do understand. LIke I said I will read this book. What woulld one more after the hundred sixty or seventy that I've read so far matter. There are some that have put forth that psychpathy is a evolutionary left-over from when we needed it to servive alone in a savage wilderness. The problem there is that we (humens) always were pack animals. Even Neanderthals--now that it has been proven that we obsorbed them into our spesies--were group orineted. The best explanation so far (though it has not been proven) is that it is both a birth defect and serious indifference, neglect or down right hostilety recieved from birth to three months which may be the cause.   

Fair enough, it just wasn't clear from your post that you knew the difference between a psychopath and a serial murderer. I've given it some thought and do believe that some great people have been psychopaths.

Offline Neghe

« Reply #1613 on: October 03, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
Fair enough, it just wasn't clear from your post that you knew the difference between a psychopath and a serial murderer. I've given it some thought and do believe that some great people have been psychopaths.

There is a new area for reseach these days: ferensic history. We already know that if it were not for psychpaths in high places we would not have had 80% of the wars we have had to endure.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1614 on: October 03, 2013, 10:49:34 PM »
There is a new area for reseach these days: ferensic history. We already know that if it were not for psychpaths in high places we would not have had 80% of the wars we have had to endure.
However, I personally believe that Winston Churchill was a psychopath and the most influential person in the defeat of the psychotic Adolf Hitler.

Offline Neghe

« Reply #1615 on: October 04, 2013, 01:12:06 AM »
Without dubt. And they knew it too. That is why as soon as the war was over so too was his career. Fortunately for us, we no longer have to have one to fight one. But this is going further than we shouild go on this thread. So I will read, The Wisdom of Psychopaths, by Prof. Kevin Dutton. 'Til then...then.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1616 on: October 04, 2013, 01:19:03 AM »
Without dubt. And they knew it too. That is why as soon as the war was over so too was his career. Fortunately for us, we no longer have to have one to fight one. But this is going further than we shouild go on this thread. So I will read, The Wisdom of Psychopaths, by Prof. Kevin Dutton. 'Til then...then.

I only have two points to make and then I will shut up, I promise.
1) I did not say that Hitler was a psychopath but psychotic, which is the other end of the emotional spectrum. Where psychopaths have less emotion than normal, psychotics have more emotion than normal.
2) Churchill's career was not over after the war. He was PM again from 1951-56.

Offline Neghe

« Reply #1617 on: October 04, 2013, 01:33:53 AM »
Hilters psychotic behavor was brought on toward the end by his meth dependency.

And I forget about Churchill's second rise to power. 

Offline Oceaxe

« Reply #1618 on: October 04, 2013, 05:30:12 AM »
Hate to intrude but Churchill was a democrat in his bones. Hitler was a demagogue. That's the important difference.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

W.B. Yeats (1865–1939)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #1619 on: October 04, 2013, 06:47:19 AM »
I have always felt Churchill was a War Shaman.  A case of 'come the hour comes the man.'  Being a wartime leader was his real role in life.  Afterwards, not so much.  An old stag is always eventually deposed by younger ones.

I will look out for this book, Ollie.  Thanks.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1