Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 412742 times)

Offline ellsbells4

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1440 on: May 01, 2013, 04:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the rec Gayle with  Rest in Pieces - sounds interesting!  Do you know of the photographer Joel-Peter Wilkin?  Wild stuff, very macabre, and twistedly beautiful.

Offline ellsbells4

« Reply #1441 on: May 01, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »
Vienna - ist Ping Pong Poetry auf Deutsch, oder English?

Offline Vienna

« Reply #1442 on: May 01, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »
ta very much ellsbells.

Ping Pong Poetry ist auf Deutsch. Sprichst Du Deutsch?
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline ellsbells4

« Reply #1443 on: May 01, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
Recently finished "Olive Kitteridge" - Strout is a very fine writer; her characters live off the page and she is able to puncture the reader through the emotional lives of her characters - no small feat.  If you enjoyed Sherwood Anderson's "Winesburg, Ohio" (a masterpiece) I think you will also appreciate "Kitteridge"  :)

Offline ellsbells4

« Reply #1444 on: May 01, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »
Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch :)  My kids are in a German immersion program here in Los Angeles -
so I am learning.  It's a fascinating language.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #1445 on: May 01, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »
it certainly is.........I am from the North of England originally and have been here in Vienna for 25 years and would say German is my second language but I am still learning something new every day. The grammar is pretty tricky . ;D
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline ellsbells4

« Reply #1446 on: May 01, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »
Tricky grammar?  you think? :)  my brain turns to scrambled eggs!  I learn so much about my own language though, through German - pretty cool.

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #1447 on: May 01, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
Thanks for the rec Gayle with  Rest in Pieces - sounds interesting!  Do you know of the photographer Joel-Peter Wilkin?  Wild stuff, very macabre, and twistedly beautiful.

You're welcome, Ells. I'm not familiar with the work of Joel-Peter Wilkin, but I will certainly seek it out. Thanks.

Just finished The Blondes by Emily Schultz, a novel about a mysterious illness which turns women with blonde hair violent. It's a fantastic book which covers topics from the effects of beauty marketing on our society, the way men and women relate to each other, the way we handle epidemics, the "locking up" of the seriously ill as if they were criminals, and finding friends and allies in the most unlikely of places. I highly recommend it.

I'm about to start The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. It's a dark comedy about a retired explosives expert (who would like a bit more control over his alcohol consumption) and decides its not too late to start over. Sounds like it should be a fun read.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:39:11 PM by Gayle »
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #1448 on: May 01, 2013, 11:48:28 PM »
Re-reading another old one ...by my friend, William Pelfrey..."Hamburger Hill."
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron

Offline ellsbells4

« Reply #1449 on: May 01, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »
Both of these books sound interesting Gayle - thanks.  Just finished Daring Greatly by Brene Brown, a fantastic exploration into shame and vulnerability and the effects of these on the individual in our society.  She is an amazing researcher and very good writer - presenting keen insight into  our culture that currently dwells largely in a place of "not enough"...highly recommend.

Offline honiilove

• "That is the way it was,and that is the way I am."
« Reply #1450 on: May 02, 2013, 01:26:05 AM »
Oscar said it best.  "I have the simplest of tastes-I am only satisfied with the best."
I am reading The twelve amazing women of the bible.

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #1451 on: May 02, 2013, 04:58:29 AM »
Elantris  by Brandon Sanderson
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline HonestIgnoramous

« Reply #1452 on: May 02, 2013, 06:56:09 AM »
Stein on Writing

Offline ellsbells4

« Reply #1453 on: May 02, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »
Thanks Herron - it must be a good read if you are re-reading it :)  What brings you back to it?

Offline honiilove

• "That is the way it was,and that is the way I am."
« Reply #1454 on: May 02, 2013, 02:53:29 PM »
Stein on Writing
Welcome to My writers Circle. You will find many wonderful and wise critiques from awesome people.
The book that you are reading, is Gertrude Stein?