Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 411432 times)

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #675 on: June 12, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
Michael, I just read the discription of it over at amazon.ca:
The Soviet Union is no more. Members of its military are selling plutonium to the highest bidder. Christian Ramsdorf, an East German weapons expert, finds himself with the opportunity either to get extremely rich or to return to his old job with MI5. A pulse-pounding, globe-trotting adventure where the world is held hostage.

Another title for my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendation.
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #676 on: June 12, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »
Deb, I enjoyed both the movie version of The Shinning and the film version even though I watched the film long before I ever read the book. I do understand why they had to change so much for the film version though. Some of the scenes that read as being frightening in the book would have come out looking like something out of a bad 1950's B-movie. You simply can't have a woman, half-hacked to pieces continuing to crawl around, looking for her child without the audience rolling their eyes and saying, "oh, please!"

Jeez Gayle, sometimes you crack me up! I love your wit. The visual was right there with the B-movies, only in color. I was in stitches (much better off than the hacked up woman which I pictured cut in half) but yeah, I see your point. Thanks for the guttural laugh.   :)
~Deb
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Gayle

« Reply #677 on: June 12, 2011, 06:33:35 PM »
Thanks for the guttural laugh.   :)
~Deb
Anytime!  :D
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #678 on: June 13, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
Strange Red Cow by Sara Bader. Bader is a freelance researcher and associate producer who works on historical documentary films.

It was due to something she noticed while doing research that inspired her to write this, her first job.

It was a very old ad in a newspaper that sparked her interest and was the inspiration for her to search further.

An unusual little book that I often read bits and pieces of between other books.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Michael Edits

• Michael Edits
« Reply #679 on: June 13, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
Great writing is like a window pane. Let Michael Edits be your Windex.
Business Editing Services since 2006.
Technical Editing Services since 1991.

cmb

« Reply #680 on: June 14, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
Tristan and Iseult - Rosemary Sutcliff

(Reading it with my 12 year old daughter, who likes the most gruesome parts the best.  ;D )

Offline Gayle

« Reply #681 on: June 14, 2011, 06:40:48 PM »
(Reading it with my 12 year old daughter, who likes the most gruesome parts the best.  ;D )
  :D Sounds like you've got a Goth teenager in the making. Don't look now but you may have a few years black lipstick, skull and crossbone fashions, and vampire crushes ahead of you.

Offline Michael Edits

• Michael Edits
« Reply #682 on: June 14, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
Shakespeare by Bill Bryson

Offline Andre Farant

• I should be writing.
    • Andre Farant
« Reply #683 on: June 14, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
It's funny, I've never been able to get into Bryson's travel writing (he always seems as though he's having a terrible time) but his A Short History of Nearly Everything is still one of my favourite popular science books.

Offline Michael Edits

• Michael Edits
« Reply #684 on: June 15, 2011, 12:03:59 AM »
Now that you mention it, I enjoy his travel writing if it's a place I've been, but my favorite books by Bryson are A Short History of Nearly Everything and the one about English language.  And, perhaps, this one about Shakespeare.  His childhood memoirs are also quite good.

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #685 on: June 15, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »
re-reading Galaxy Primes  by E.E (Doc) Smith
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #686 on: June 16, 2011, 03:27:40 AM »
Still reading Eichmann vor Jerusalem

and also Liszt, Biography of a Superstar

and also on the go Basic Writings of Bertrand Russell
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #687 on: June 18, 2011, 12:54:39 AM »
Our family finished The Hunger Games Trilogy a few months back. A YA sci fi series written by Suzanne Collins and is under way for the big screen.

We all enjoyed the books. The author has an easy flow and does a good job of building suspense.

Don't let the fact that it's a Y.A. scare you away. It really is a good series that I highly recommend especially if you have teenagers and tweens in your home. Great family read.

~Deb
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline midnight candle

• just checking in
« Reply #688 on: June 18, 2011, 02:57:55 AM »
Every now and again, I pluck a book at random. This week I found The Gathering by Ann Enright. Enjoying it so far.

Offline Andre Farant

• I should be writing.
    • Andre Farant
« Reply #689 on: June 18, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
Hellblazer: Original Sin by Jamie Delano (and various artists)