Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 412841 times)

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #660 on: June 08, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »
I'm going to repost this now that Hugh has directed me to the right thread:

I just finished According to Queeney by Beryl Bainbridge. Not her best novel although I have a hard time with anyone who tries to claim that Dr. Johnson was anything more than a literary scholar and critic. I preferred Master Georgie. It's a much better place to start if you've never read Bainbridge's work before.

I'm just started Master and the Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. This is one I deliberately put off for a long time because the idea of reading a fiction novel devoted to the "does God exist" debate sounded about as dry as unbuttered toast. Bad judgement call on my part. Bulgakov manages to make a very dry, done-to-death debate and make it entertaining with storytelling skills. A truly gifted writer!
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #661 on: June 09, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »
Save the Cat
~Blake Snyder
The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need

Though not the last I'll read.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Andre Farant

• I should be writing.
    • Andre Farant
« Reply #662 on: June 10, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
Cell by Stephen King

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #663 on: June 10, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
Ooh, The King. My all time favorite Steven King book was, The Shining. Scared me so thoroughly, I had to read it in less than a week to get it over with so I could sleep! I was sixteen.

I'm thinking I read it in two days - no sleep. That may be an exaggeration, but not by much.  :o

I was living in a 150 year old farm house in the middle of some citrus orchards, in the boonies, about a half mile from an ancient 'haunted' schoolhouse that I could see from my bedroom window. Coyote howls were the norm. I was a boarder and access to my room was off of the back porch, via creaky, wooden stairs. My room was part of an attic that had been sectioned off, divided in half, and halved again to make two rather roomy bedrooms across from each other with the much roomier attic adjacent. I blamed the attic door but I'm inclined to think it was my vivid imagination that taunted me. Behind the door were dress forms, old picture frames, hats, antique rocking chairs, wooden travelers trunks, and the classic dusty spider's webs.

I would love it today just for the mere theatrical qualities. But at the time... SPOOKY!

Anyway, I highly recommend The Shining if you haven't already read it. :)

~Deb
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Andre Farant

• I should be writing.
    • Andre Farant
« Reply #664 on: June 11, 2011, 07:52:34 AM »
Thanks Deb, I have read The Shining and, you're right, it's excellent. I think my favourite of King's is still It with The Green Mile a very, very close second. I enjoy most of what he's put out, though.

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #665 on: June 11, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »
Both good reads. I also really liked "The Long Walk" that he wrote as Richard Bachman.
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #666 on: June 11, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I loved Cell and Firestarter because they were both fast paced. The Shining was great too, except the film was better because in the book we don't have "Here's Johnny!" or "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" which are the iconic moments. I like most of King's stuff, except I feel he does tend to waffle and most of his books only need to be half the length they are (like Insomnia - did that really need to be 800 pages?!)

Talking about meaty tomes, I've nearly finished 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. It is 1000 pages and has its faults, but is still one of the most beautifully written thrillers I have ever come across.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Andre Farant

• I should be writing.
    • Andre Farant
« Reply #667 on: June 11, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »
I agree that The Passage was very well written, but I felt as though the first and second halves were two seperate books, and that, while the first half was absolutely excellent, the second half just didn't work for me at all.

I liked Kubrick's The Shining, but I see it as an entirely seperate piece from the book. They're just too different.

Carrie, by De Palma, is one of the few movies that actually improved on the book upon which it was based . . . even King thought so.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #668 on: June 11, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »
I really liked Wolgast and his relationship with Amy - I agree that the story with the colony and the virals isn't as good. Very cliche, actually - so 'I Am Legend'. And Carrie is a great film - even the music is magnificent.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline thatollie

« Reply #669 on: June 11, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »
I loved Cell and Firestarter because they were both fast paced. The Shining was great too, except the film was better because in the book we don't have "Here's Johnny!" or "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" which are the iconic moments. I like most of King's stuff, except I feel he does tend to waffle and most of his books only need to be half the length they are (like Insomnia - did that really need to be 800 pages?!)

Talking about meaty tomes, I've nearly finished 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. It is 1000 pages and has its faults, but is still one of the most beautifully written thrillers I have ever come across.

Insomnia barely needed to exist at all.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #670 on: June 11, 2011, 06:47:17 PM »
Walkio, I thought The Shining was an awesome movie especially with the instinctive cast and introduction to Steadicam under Kubrick's direction. However, I liked the book more. I wonder how you would weigh it, had you read the book first.

I read that King was ticked off about the locale of the movie and vehemently disapproved of the hotel that Kubrick's production team decided upon.

AndreOF, the Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies and I like The Green Mile too. As a rule, I try to read the book before I see the production because I don't want to be disappointed in the book. I take it from your statement that, at least in the case of The Green Mile, I'm safe.

I recently joined a screenwriter's group. It is difficult to adjust to the fact that it is the 'norm' for the writer to lose creative control of his or her written 'vision' once his/her screenplay is optioned or goes into production.

~Deb
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:53:35 PM by DGSquared »

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline TheDestroyer

« Reply #671 on: June 11, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
Reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath :)

Offline Andre Farant

• I should be writing.
    • Andre Farant
« Reply #672 on: June 11, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »
Hey Deb,

Don't fret too much, generally speaking, the writer is very well compensated for that loss of control. ;)

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #673 on: June 12, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »
Deb, I enjoyed both the movie version of The Shinning and the film version even though I watched the film long before I ever read the book. I do understand why they had to change so much for the film version though. Some of the scenes that read as being frightening in the book would have come out looking like something out of a bad 1950's B-movie. You simply can't have a woman, half-hacked to pieces continuing to crawl around, looking for her child without the audience rolling their eyes and saying, "oh, please!"
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline Michael Edits

• Michael Edits
« Reply #674 on: June 12, 2011, 12:55:20 AM »
Skull Dance by Gerd Balke.  I edited this one after he died and ensured that it was published.  All royalties go to his widow.
Great writing is like a window pane. Let Michael Edits be your Windex.
Business Editing Services since 2006.
Technical Editing Services since 1991.