Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 411439 times)

Offline Vienna

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2009, 07:13:50 AM »

hi NP my  daughter likes the Inkheart, she has read them in the original. Funke is a good writer.

Im reading some Thomas Bernhard again, 20 years dead on 12th February.
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline thatollie

« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2009, 02:00:14 PM »
Just finished reading Foundation by Asimov.
It was brilliant.

Never make a decision standing up.

Offline ellie

« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2009, 06:00:36 PM »
It was brilliant.

Whats it about Ollie? Ive never read any of his books..

Ive just finished reading 'Cousin Bazilio' by Portuguese author Eca De Queiros....another book I couldn't put down by this author.  Its my third of his books Ive read, 'The Crime of Father Amaro'....and
The Maias', being the other two,
This Portuguese author is up there with classical writers such as Hardy,Dickens...
I highly recommend him ;D
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline DC

« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2009, 08:19:32 AM »
It was brilliant.

Ollie, it's thirty-four years since I read that, and you're right, it's brilliant, from what I remember. Which unfortunately is very little, otherwise I could answer Ellie's question. I must read it again, and you must go on to read the next two: 'Foundation and Empire' and 'Second Foundation'.

Meanwhile I've just helped myself (well I did pay for them) to three more books by Richard Dawkins. 'The Selfish Gene' is one that, having gone to Uni to study genetics, I should have read twenty years or so back. I shall make up for that lack once I've finished 'The Ancestor's Tale'.

The third one is 'The Blind Watchmaker', so along with 'The God Delusion', which I have still to finish, I guess I'm set up fror reading material for a while...

I started on The Ancestors Tale this morning, whilst sat in a coffee shop waiting for a bus home. I missed four buses...

Dave.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »

I started on The Ancestors Tale this morning, whilst sat in a coffee shop waiting for a bus home. I missed four buses...

Now why don't they put comments like that on the back of books?

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Ninny

• Writer of wrongs!!
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2009, 06:13:20 PM »
I'm reading 'The middle classes-a history'.  Very interesting indeed!!  (I just love history, I think it's because I'm so nosey)!!

Anyway, this is the one if you're interested..I recommend it!!

Offline thatollie

« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2009, 08:50:24 PM »
Dave, I'd like to get the others. I found it in a second hand store for 1.25 and thought, "I'm having that."

Ellie, Foundation is about a society working to bring back intergalactic unity after the fall of an empire.
It's a little more complicated than that, and probably not everyone's cup of tea [I didn't fail to note it's less brilliant aspects.]
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline DC

« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2009, 03:42:21 AM »

Now why don't they put comments like that on the back of books?

Gyppo

;D ;D Never thought of it like that, Gyppo, it's just what happened...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »
Dave, I'd like to get the others. I found it in a second hand store for 1.25 and thought, "I'm having that."

Ellie, Foundation is about a society working to bring back intergalactic unity after the fall of an empire.
It's a little more complicated than that, and probably not everyone's cup of tea [I didn't fail to note it's less brilliant aspects.]

I have all five... or is it six... Books of the foundation series  ;D
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Stand for Something

The Battle for America's Soul

by John Kasich
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Pauliana

« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2009, 10:01:48 PM »
I'm reading The Reader. I wanted to know what the movie was about.  :-\

Offline Jewldust

• THE NEW ME
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »
I have started reading the Diary of Anne Frank. I have always been wondeirng what it was like and what it was all about, always wanted to read it. SO when I was in my college I went to the library there and found the thick book and took it out and began reading it right away. Im at the point where I dont know if I want to read anymore or not. I'll keeping reading I have to! LOL
:)

Offline ringer

« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2009, 02:10:54 AM »
 Hi from Ringer: I  Read Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.   Very realistic story of a marriage coming apart in its early years.  Probably more realism than I wanted.   Shocking ending.  Didn't see the movie yet.    Now reading "Ghosts among us," by James Van Praagh,  a kind of do-it-yourself ghost book.   If you've read a few items on ghosts this book is similiar..... well, maybe one or two new facts.   

Offline MrsTiner

• A Little Bit Of Whimsy
    • The Official Online Home Of Samantha Tiner
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
I'm currently reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova by way of fiction and I'm reading The Tree Of Life by Israel Regardie by way of spiritual work.

While The Historian was rather slow to get started, I'm enjoying it now. I love all the historical facts woven into the storyline. Of course, I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.
Samantha Tiner
Author/Writer
blog link http://pensandquills.livejournal.com
My Website
http://www.wix.com/samanthatiner/Home
MySpace
http://www.myspace.com/samanthatiner

The Fahlin Chronicles : A Webnovel Project
http://capefolston.livejournal.com

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2009, 03:21:47 AM »
Picked up a few March/April writer's magazines at Barnes N Noble today. Wanted to kick myself in the pants... When will I finally get a subscription and stop paying newsstand prices?  ??? :-\

These would make nice Mother's Day gifts, if your mother were a writer, that is. ::)
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb