Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 411724 times)

Offline HeidiC

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »
Presently reading Snow Blind by PJ Tracey. I borrowed this one from the library but I bought the previous three and I'm not dissapointed.

shellie_baby

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »
3/4 of the way through Angel Isle by Peter Dickinson. Pretty good so far. After I finish that I have Caxton Tempest to read ;D

shellie x

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »
Just read a superbly lightweight Western, with stereotyped characters, and repeated use of the word 'fugging'.  Some wonderful 'continuity errors' as well, where a seemingly important thread was introduced and then never referred to again.  I got the feeling the writer exceeded his word budget, made savage and speedy cuts to meet a deadline, and never proofread.

Towards the end a dozen thoroughly nasty and over-described characters were introduced merely to be killed off.  True 'six-gun fodder.'

Despite all the flaws it was a fun and easy read, and I will take great delight in handing it onto the charity shop where it can 'ambush' some other poor unsuspecting soul.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:19:08 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline DC

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2008, 12:31:41 AM »
Yesterday I read The Da Vinci Code again, And this morning I read 'The Wee Free Men' by Terry Pratchett, which is completely wonderfully nonsensical and hilarious, I recommend it to all, it's fab!  ;D

Ah..The Wee Free Men, Nac Mac Feegle, or Pictsies. Brilliant stuff!  ;D ;D

I'm currently re-reading 'Pyramids', one of the best of the 'Discworld' novels; Lin in particular would appreciate the Assassin's 'exam'.  :D I'll probably then go back to 'Feet of Clay', another gem.

BW, have you ever read 'Good Omens', by Pratchett and Neil Giaman?
Superbly funny take on the 'Omen' trilogy; had me rolling on the floor in agony for ten minutes with one particular comment...

Dave.

P.S. I met Terry Pratchett about fourteen years ago. I never did get around to asking him the two questions I wanted to:

'What do you put in your roll-ups?
'And where can I get some?'

D.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2008, 06:20:48 AM »
Pratchett is a genius.  Some people can't stand his work, but that alone, quite often, is one of the signs of genius if not carried to extremes.  (If nobody except you likes your work then you're probably just a nutter, or two centuries ahead of your time.)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline SarahC

• a pic that actually looks like me
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2008, 06:31:06 AM »
Reading The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman at the moment, not sure where I'm going next though.

Sarah x

Offline thatollie

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2008, 01:29:55 PM »
Just finished The Hollow Man, greatest book ever.
Must go decide what's next.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline jeanette

• jeanette's website
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2008, 07:26:30 PM »
feet of clay, witches abroad, and reaper man are all absolutely the bees knees, my favourite three Pratchetts, and I've read them all. Sadly, I have in the past been compared to Nanny Ogg. Something to do with the capacity for alcohol, I believe  :D
Poor old terry's not having the best time of it right now. I wish him all the best
\"Abandoned\" is available from www.lulu.com/content/2072117<br /><br />\"the Dragon\'s Promise is available from<br />www.lulu.com/content/8075592<br />visit my website at www.jeanettemccarthy.co.uk

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2008, 07:33:45 PM »
Sadly, I have in the past been compared to Nanny Ogg. Something to do with the capacity for alcohol, I believe  :D

BUt can you sing the hedgehog song? ;-)

Gyppo

Offline jeanette

• jeanette's website
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 04:18:19 AM »
all 27 verses, with a few of my own added in  ;). AND the hand gestures!
\"Abandoned\" is available from www.lulu.com/content/2072117<br /><br />\"the Dragon\'s Promise is available from<br />www.lulu.com/content/8075592<br />visit my website at www.jeanettemccarthy.co.uk

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 06:12:38 AM »
Magnificent ;-)

"You can do it with a snake
if you hold it with a rake..."

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
Salvation Creek
An Unexpected Life

Susan Duncan

One of those books that kept me spellbound. I rarely finish a book and read the last chapter first everytime. This one had me start to finish.
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

midnightcandle

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2008, 08:25:40 AM »
The English Patient (again) by Michael Ondaatje,  :)

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2008, 09:13:57 AM »
Sill Life With Woodpecker -- Tom Robbins

QUOTE: "There are only two mantras," said Bernard. "Yum and yuk. Mine is yum."
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2008, 10:38:23 AM »
Finished "Barking" by Tom Holt.

Am just starting "The Great Book of Amber" by Roger Zelazny.
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.