Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 420911 times)

Offline thatollie

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #2490 on: March 24, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »
Railsea by China Mieville
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #2491 on: March 24, 2017, 03:25:47 PM »
I enjoyed his City and the City. Not sure it is really scifi but maybe it is in an edgy way.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #2492 on: March 24, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »
The City and The City isn't SF, I've seen it described as an existentialist thriller.

Railsea is this weird mix of steampunk and Moby Dick.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #2493 on: March 24, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
Yes, existentialist thriller fits it for me, though when I asked China directly when he did a reading in Liverpool, he said it is definitely science fiction even if his definition of SF is different from most people.

Offline DRP22

• Bleep Blorp
« Reply #2494 on: March 24, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »
A Feast for Crowsby George R. R. Martin

Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

and I'm re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Offline Demmy

• Twitter: @Demmy1512
« Reply #2495 on: March 25, 2017, 06:30:35 PM »
Me before you by JoJo Moyes.  Saw the film before hand and wondered if there was anything more interesting in the book.

There wasn't.  Got a little bored half way in although I managed to finish it.  Provoked some thoughts on living with disability.

Now moving on to Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. Met her last year  :)
'When you write a story, you’re telling yourself the story,’ he said. ‘When you rewrite, your main job is taking out all the things that are not the story.'  Stephen King - On Writing.

While health and strength allow, tolerate work.  For soon come bent old age and silent foot.  Ovid.

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #2496 on: March 25, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
DRP22 while you're on American Gods my Book Group discussed it last week. I blog as best I could about our meeting at http://geoffnelder.com/review-neil-gaimans-american-gods/

Offline DRP22

• Bleep Blorp
« Reply #2497 on: March 25, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »
Oh, cool. I'll take a look. Were you guys discussing it because of its upcoming TV adaptation?

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #2498 on: March 25, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »
Just a coincidence. We'd read Neverwhere last year and thought it was time to read another one. I'd met Neil Gaimon at FantasyCon a couple of years ago in Brighton, UK He's like a tall over-enthusiastic boy :)

Offline DRP22

• Bleep Blorp
« Reply #2499 on: March 25, 2017, 07:03:21 PM »
He really is. I've never had the chance to meet him, but I've seen several convention interviews.

It wasn't until reading his Sandman series that I even considered comics as a source of entertainment. I was probably 23 at the time and found the entire set in a public library in Dallas. I read through all ten volumes within the same 24 hour period. From there I branched out into Alan Moore's stuff, and now I'm a shameless comic book nerd.

My first encounter with Neverwhere was actually a radio broadcast. I could be wrong, but I think it was BBC Radio 4, with James McAvoy as Mayhew and... Benedict Cumberbatch as the angel... I could be wrong on the actors, though. I don't feel like googling it. Anywho, I read that shortly after Sandman. I'm thinking of tackling Anansi Boys next.

Sorry for the hijack, people!

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #2500 on: March 25, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »
In Neverwhere, Door is my favourite character. Fancy needing a doorway anywhere, say in a blank wall, and imagining a temporary portal for you and friends to use. I've only read the book. My ears these days are too slow for radio. I wish radio came with subtitles although that's what books are for.

Offline Catherine F

• I watch the ripples change their size (D. Bowie)
« Reply #2501 on: March 29, 2017, 01:23:14 PM »
Currently reading french Jean Malaurie "Ultima Thule: explorers and natives in North Pole".
A moving ethnological adventure in mythical Inuit land. Ends with the encounter of two worlds, when an American nuclear base is built by the Inuit village...A doc that reads like a story.

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #2502 on: March 29, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
hard(ish) SF cleverly done arkship consequences. Like the POV from a virus-grown- micro creature.

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #2503 on: June 07, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »
So far this year I've decided to step out of my comfort zone and read books written by women.

I've yet to be disappointed  ;)

Offline Catherine F

• I watch the ripples change their size (D. Bowie)
« Reply #2504 on: June 07, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
 :D