Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 412035 times)

Offline Vogel

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1980 on: April 04, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
In On Writing, King mentions a childhood illness that confined him to bed, a period during which he read a lot of books. I've often wondered if this is the source of this awareness of how being isolated from the mainstream makes people behave differently.

Interesting. Could very well be.

The Stand is my favorite King book.

About 400 pages in. No complaints so far. It's getting really good.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1981 on: April 04, 2015, 05:41:55 PM »
For those that are interested, my favourite Stephen King book is Pet Semetary.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #1982 on: April 05, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
"The Tenth Justice"

by Brad Meltzer
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1983 on: April 12, 2015, 05:46:06 PM »
Week #15/Book #15. Tales of Hoffman. Freud based his essay on them and a myriad of writers were inspired.
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us

- Robert Burns

Offline kateD

« Reply #1984 on: April 17, 2015, 06:19:55 PM »
Thunder Dog -- a true story about a blind man and his guide dog escaping the WTC on 9/11/01. Captivating!

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1985 on: April 27, 2015, 08:15:28 AM »
On holiday last week so week #16 was a double feature. Read King's On Writing travelling to/from Malta, and Matheson's The Incredible Shrinking Man after I got home. For week #17,this week, it's King's Mr Mercedes.

- Robert Burns

Offline Mrs N

« Reply #1986 on: April 27, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »
Are we really only seventeen weeks into this year, seems longer.

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett

Offline Emery

« Reply #1987 on: April 27, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »
Just finished The Weight of Blood by McHugh and now reading The Winter People by McMahon.

I read Stephen King over ten years ago, nothing recently, but the one that kind of stuck with me is Needful Things.  I'm not even sure it was that good, but the premise of what would you do to obtain you strongest desire interests me.  I remember reading the Stand, but there was so much going on that it is hard for me to recall the details fifteen years later.

Here's my take on King.  His writing is great.  Conversational and flows.  At times it feels like he's sitting there and recounting the story by fireside.  The problem is, and this is personal opinion, but he must write a book on every idea that pops in his head.  If you take his catalogue and cut it by 2/3rds I would argue it would actually be stronger overall. 

All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline bailish

« Reply #1988 on: April 27, 2015, 09:40:57 AM »
Just finished The Maze Runner by James Dashner and set to begin the sequel, The Scorch Trials.

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1989 on: April 27, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
Here's my take on King.  His writing is great.  Conversational and flows.  At times it feels like he's sitting there and recounting the story by fireside.  The problem is, and this is personal opinion, but he must write a book on every idea that pops in his head.  If you take his catalogue and cut it by 2/3rds I would argue it would actually be stronger overall. 

If you've never read King's On Writing I recommend it. He talks about his own output, his reading list while writing Hearts..., and which, and why some, of his published books/stories don't work. You can, if you wish, skip the first hundred odd pages of autobiography, but I think it's worth reading to see how that writer was made.

- Robert Burns

Offline Emery

« Reply #1990 on: April 27, 2015, 02:19:08 PM »
If you've never read King's On Writing I recommend it. He talks about his own output, his reading list while writing Hearts..., and which, and why some, of his published books/stories don't work. You can, if you wish, skip the first hundred odd pages of autobiography, but I think it's worth reading to see how that writer was made.

I read it and really enjoyed it, but still can't shake that there is some self-editing that needs to take place--especially now that he is sober.  I think Hemingway said that every author needs a bullshit detector.  Sometimes I don't think King's detector works that well, even without cocaine and other drugs. 

I some ways I am envious that he can write a bestseller so intoxicated he can't remember writing a single word.  I struggle and he is obliterated and can produce.
All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1991 on: April 27, 2015, 05:25:18 PM »
I some ways I am envious that he can write a bestseller so intoxicated he can't remember writing a single word.  I struggle and he is obliterated and can produce.

Remember one thing about King. Writing is all he has ever done. He's been in training since he was a child.

- Robert Burns

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #1992 on: April 28, 2015, 10:24:32 PM »
Remember one thing about King. Writing is all he has ever done. He's been in training since he was a child.

He did spend a brief time as a teacher. He also worked in a laundry (the same one his mother worked in). He readily admits his early drinking problem. When King was two years old, his father (a merchant seaman) left the family under the pretense of "going to buy a pack of cigarettes" and never returned, so kudos to his mother for raising him well. He undoubtedly had reasons to drink (or thought he did), but he conquered that in the early 80s ... so he's been writing sober for more than 30 years.  

And the man knows how to tell a story.  ;)
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1993 on: April 29, 2015, 08:11:07 AM »
^ Yep, but in common with Enid Blyton, and probably countless others who also did other things, the writing was the constant undercurrent to their lives.

- Robert Burns

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #1994 on: May 03, 2015, 06:06:57 PM »
^ Yep, but in common with Enid Blyton, and probably countless others who also did other things, the writing was the constant undercurrent to their lives.

You say that as if it's a bad thing ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1