Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 489987 times)

Offline Ken100

• The Devil and Edward Teach - Out now.
    • Ken Preston
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »
Hi Alex,
I've read Dracula a few times now, it's very good, especially the early chapters with Jonathon Harker trapped in Dracula's castle. Kind of loses it a little for me after that, but it is still very good.
Guilty Pleasures, hmmmm, I read that too.
I'll let you make your own mind up about that one...

Cheers,
Ken :)
Let me format your book for Kindle. 20% Discount for MWC Members.
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,44874.new.html#new

Follow me on Twitter; @kenpreston100<br /><br />
http://www.kenpreston.co.uk

Offline HeidiC

« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »
Creepers - David Morrell (for research purposes.)

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »
Creepers - David Morrell

I read it about a year ago and really enjoyed it  :)

Kitchen God's Wife - Amy Tan
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline HeidiC

« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2008, 04:21:25 AM »
One of my main characters is an urban explorer and Creepers came up in the research I was doing for her. I liked the begining - very reminiscent of Dean Koontz who is my all time favourite author. I'm about half way now and I must say I'm not sympathising with the characters much. However, it is a great read.

I'm also reading Shocking Pink by Erica Spindler and I'm about to start Scavenger by David Morrell. On top of that I'm working through The Weekend Novelist writes A Mystery - Robert J. Ray and Jack Remick and trawling through my research library (sounds grander than it actually is - one shelf above my computer - which includes such morsels as Book of Poisons, The Criminal mind and Police procedure and investigation - almost the complete writers digest collection.) It's amazing I find anytime to write!

Offline McWawa

« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2008, 07:44:53 AM »
I'm reading other people's contributions to MyWritersCircle.
When i finally overcome this compulsion and forcibly drag myself away from the computer  i'll  start on chapter  one of ........
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

stephenm

« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2008, 08:33:02 AM »
I've just finished 'Into Africa' by Martin Dugard - it's about why Stanley finding Livingstone caught so much attention and what they both went through. A really top read.

Now I'm reading 'The Great War' by Les Carlyon. It's about Australia's involvement in WW1, written by a really entertaining Aussie historicial writer. His 'Gallipoli' is another masterpiece.

Oh, and they found 'the Sydney'.

Is it okay to say this here? I'm still learning the ropes.

Cheers,

Steve.

Offline McWawa

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2008, 10:32:19 AM »
...................   Larousse Gastronomique .
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2008, 07:03:21 AM »
I am currently reading 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'... the very reason why I'm getting fond of Wilde himself. It had actually gotten to a point where I had decided not to finish the book because, for a silly reason, I'd feel that it'd be the end of it if I did.

Along with 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', I'm also reading Chuck Palahniuk's 'Haunted' (the infamous short story 'Guts' really did it for me), and I am also planning to read Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's 'Good Omens'... again. And what's wrong with reading good books again? My friend kept bullying me about it...

Offline SteveJ

• A Writer's Christmas - Out Now!
    • Salvatore Publishing
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2008, 08:58:11 AM »
Reading Dostoyevsky's 'The Idiot' again. It's my favourite novel. It truly is a magnificent book, awash with the sentiment, brutality and pity that seems to affect all Russian literature (and music). For those who don't know it, here's the publisher's blurb, which perhaps explains it's charm better than I could:

Through the ’idiot’, the endearing, translucent, Christ-like figure of Prince Myshkin, Dostoyevsky’s other characters, and readers as well, experience moments of total insight.

The novel's central emotions and crises - the Prince’s love for two women, Rogozhin’s voracious desire for Nastasya Filippovna, her birthday party, the Prince and Rogozhin pursuing each other like ghosts through the streets of St Petersburg - are visualised with hallucinatory vividness and put across in dialogue that rages and blazes with life. In a plot that is virtually that of a thriller or a melodrama, Dostoyevsky proves himself the profound tragic dramatist of our most urgent longings and fears, bringing us face to face with the enigma of beauty, with spiritual compassion and sexual desire, and with human sickness and suffering.

Writing under pressure of epilepsy as well as inspiration, Dostoyevsky was concerned that his view of Russian people and society might be found too incredible, too rich in improbabilities, coincidence and drama. And yet: ’Is not my fantastic 'Idiot' reality, and the most ordinary reality at that?’

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:00:21 AM by Steve08 »
A Writer's Christmas:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4931358

The Horde - Available Now:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4076371

Offline thatollie

« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2008, 09:10:15 AM »
Sounds interesting Steve, I'll have a look at it.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline ellie

« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2008, 06:41:46 PM »
Hi Alex,
I've read Dracula a few times now, it's very good, especially the early chapters with Jonathon Harker trapped in Dracula's castle. Kind of loses it a little for me after that, but it is still very good.
Guilty Pleasures, hmmmm, I read that too.
I'll let you make your own mind up about that one...

Cheers,
Ken :)

Ive never read Dracula Ken, I wonder if it will give me nightmares? :o
My son has the book, hardback with pics and Ive felt tempted but not too sure of its affect on me?

Well, I gave up with James Joyce's 'Ulysses' but Im finding his 'Dubliners' a lot easier to read.  I was reading one the other night and it was set in 'Chapelizod' just outside Dublin and remembered going there on a visit 2 years ago. Isn't it a strange name?
Ive almost finished 'The Jesus Dynasty'  and Im well into Monica Ali's 'Brick Lane.
Maybe Ill start 'Dracula' next ;)
elliex
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline DC

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »
Not actually read anything for a while, other than re-reads of Harry Potter. But a surf around the BBC news site today produced something quite interesting; I discovered that they've made available on the web the complete works of Charles Darwin, so I've just started on 'On the Origin of Species'.

And quite fascinating it is proving, even though I'm still only on the introduction. Having studied ecology, I've obviously come across alot of Darwin's work before, but this is reading it from a slightly different angle: His. I say this because it soon became obvious that he was writing it before certain discoveries were made that are common knowledge now. For instance he talks about heretable traits. They knew they existed, but they had no idea of even the basic mechanisms; this work was published a few years before Gregor Mendel's initial works on Genetics, using Peas.

It is also proving interesting in an etymological sense. Both Darwin and certain of his contemporaries refer to particularly noticeable 'oddities' in a group of offspring as 'Monstrosities'. I thought this was a strange word to use, until I realised that the word we would use, 'Mutants', had probably not been coined then. Useful to remember by anyone writing a Sci-fi type novel based in ~Darwinian times?

His 'alternative title' was quite creepy, considering the events of sixty odd years back:

'On the origin of Species by natural selection, or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life.

There's a lot of it to read, so I may be some time. But as Penny and Co. are, presumably, once more stuck in 'The Station', I've had an idea for a possible title  of a more factual book, for which the research at least would be fascinatinhg. Darwin talked of heritable traits, but it was almost a hundred years before we were able to elucidate, on the molecular level, the mechanisms by which they operate, thanks to the work of Watson and Crick, amongst others. A lot of ideas came and went, and a lot of work was done during those hundred years. Hmm..interesting, I might get back on this...

Dave.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline ronshannon76

• "I am encouraged by my writing Peers!"
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2008, 02:13:36 PM »
I finished reading, "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham, last week. I am currently reading, "The Legend of Bagger Vance"  by Steven Pressfield. Not sure what I'll read next, whatever is in my collection i guess.

I don't normally read books about sports, but, these have caught my attention. They are both inspiring and intriquing. If you like books about sports, then you should check these books out.

If you like metaphysical writing, then Steven Pressfield's book is a good example of that style of writing.

Enjoy your books!
-Ron

Offline rhea08

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2008, 07:59:32 PM »
I am reading Claire Cook, Must love Dogs and Summer blowout, the advance reading copy i got at the writers conference last month and met Claire cook in person that day too, i like her writing, she writes well and her agent is Lisa Bankoff, I wished Lisa would of took me as a client.
The Memoir Writer is Writing again.

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
I could never get through Dostoyevsky.  I've tried, just can't do it.  Your brain must be much larger, Steve.  Probably a size 08, or something like that. :)

Right now, my undersized brain is reading Dashiell Hammett's The Thin Man.  Great read.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.