Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 367571 times)

Offline LilaReid

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #2520 on: November 23, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »
I'm actually reading two books at the moment.

First is 'The Child Thief' by Gerald Brom. It's a dark fantasy and while I'm only a few pages into it, I still really enjoy it.

The other is a young adult book, 'Four Weeks, Five People' by Jennifer Yu. I love books about mental illness and while the plot is a little different than what I normally read, its okay.

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #2521 on: February 11, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
For my SFF bookgroup, I'm just about to finish Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones.
What a cunning, clever werewolf book. Probably the best one I've read.

Offline trainer

« Reply #2522 on: December 06, 2018, 04:36:37 AM »
Hey, everybody!

I hope you don't mind a newbie trying to revive quite an inactive thread. I really like "What are You Reading?" threads, and couldn't resist posting here.
This year I've been reading both fiction and non-fiction, and I'm happy I've done so.

Fiction: I'm currently reading Pico Iyer's "Abandon," and I'm nearly done. The writing is really not-rushed. I wouldn't call it slow, but it is quite mellow in terms of how it progresses. That's perhaps because the author presents California as an idyllic yet full-to-the-brim kinda place. It's involves an Englishman studying Sufism in California, and Iyer's California is truly diverse. Not in the pamphlet sense, but in terms of the history the place has endured and its remnants. Also prominent are: a critical and sensible presentation of Islam, meditations on the nature of faith and loss. I've found the book really rewarding so far.
Non-fiction: Currently reading "Humanities through the Arts" (9th Edition). It is quite interesting and presents a good account of how the arts are shaped by and inform the sociopolitical context they originate from. Yet to finish this title, though.

Offline landmersm

• Better the Devil at Wordpress
« Reply #2523 on: December 06, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »
Since a newbie decided to resurrect this one from the dead, another newbie will add to it.

I am currently reading nothing  :o :o :o :o But! I did just buy No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. I loved The Road and Blood Meridian simply floored me, so I'm hoping this one is just as good.

My blog is  https://betterdevil.wordpress.com/  (It's new!)

Also, check out my self-published first novel, The Last Time

@ http://a.co/d/hP980yk  (Amazon link)