Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 418382 times)

Offline Vogel

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1965 on: March 27, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »

Dark Sky by Cyan Brodie. ;)

I already bought it and going to give it a go when I'm finished with The Stand (though that may take a few years, so  ;))

As for Revival, it was one of those I got at Goodwill for 50 cents or a dollar or w/e it was. Curious to know what you think.

Offline Vogel

« Reply #1966 on: March 27, 2015, 06:13:23 PM »
I've only ever read the original, abridged version and remember a couple of places where the absence of the edited material was really noticeable.

Interesting. I guess there's probably pros and cons with both.

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1967 on: March 28, 2015, 04:02:21 PM »
I already bought it and going to give it a go when I'm finished with The Stand (though that may take a few years, so  ;))

As for Revival, it was one of those I got at Goodwill for 50 cents or a dollar or w/e it was. Curious to know what you think.

Picked a copy of The Stand up today, one of two I bought from a charity shop. It's like a house-brick. The original abridged version had at least two points were the redacted material was noticeably absent: when they hypnotised Tommy and made reference to an earlier session which memory Stu found painful, and when the refuges came across the corpse of a character they dubbed the wolf-man. I'm enjoying Revival thus far. King does nostalgia so well he makes you ache for a childhood you never knew. It's a common trope of his best work. I've also ordered a copy of the Tales of Hoffman because I read Freud's essay off the back of an interview with Mark Gaddis.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:09:22 PM by Clarius »
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us

- Robert Burns

Offline Vogel

« Reply #1968 on: March 28, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
King does nostalgia so well he makes you ache for a childhood you never knew. It's a common trope of his best work.

So true. You've reminded me of fond memories of the kids building the dam and playing down in the Barrens in IT.  :) In my opinion, when King is good, he's really, really good. That's what I am hoping for in The Stand. That it's going to be as good as The Shining and IT. A few of his lastest books I have been disappointed in, particularly Doctor Sleep. Though I did love Under the Dome. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:44:54 PM by Vogel »

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1969 on: March 28, 2015, 04:29:31 PM »
Fans regard The Stand as King's best. That his 'best' was thirty years ago is something he admits to being slightly annoyed about. I've read most of King's work, the exception being The Dark Tower series. I still hope that someone will film The Running Man the way he wrote it.

- Robert Burns

Offline Vogel

« Reply #1970 on: March 28, 2015, 04:42:53 PM »
Fans regard The Stand as King's best. That his 'best' was thirty years ago is something he admits to being slightly annoyed about.

I imagine he is. That would be quite a kick in the gut. I had The Dark Tower series given to me this last Christmas. I'd been wanting to read them for a long time. Honestly, I read the first five or so pages of The Gunslinger three different times and just couldn't get into it. They were hard for me personally to get through. My mind kept wavering. It was dry, IMO. I'm sure they're great and one day I will commit to them and read them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:47:26 PM by Vogel »

Offline Vogel

« Reply #1971 on: March 28, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »
I've read most of King's work

I'm curious: what was your personal favorite?

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1972 on: March 28, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »
He seems to be back on form after after years of trading on his reputation with Insomnia and Bag of Bones etc. His son, Joe Hill, is also producing good material. I could never choose one King book as a favourite. I loved the Bachman Books and Different Seasons( four stories/three movies). The short stories are good. Apt Pupil - which I liked - was King being a playwright. Shawshank is one of the best bro-mances ever written. The Long Walk would have made a great brat-pack vehicle. The Running Man adaptation was a travesty. Put a gun to my head and I'd probably say IT which made me pine for a '50's childhood I never knew. The motif of friends standing together also made the conclusion of The Stand a great read. For me King's underlying theme is one of isolation, of how people react when the rules no longer apply. In Carrie the eponymous heroine was isolated from her peers, in Cujo a mother and child isolated from the world by a dog, in Salem's Lot and The Dome a whole town isolated from the rest of the world, in IT children isolated by their being children and outsiders, and in The Stand the survivors polarized into too surviving camps.

- Robert Burns

Offline Vogel

« Reply #1973 on: March 28, 2015, 05:25:48 PM »
Good point about the isolation theme. The Shining too, a family isolated through winter, and Misery, a writer isolated with a psychopath. I wonder if it stems from his own feelings of isolation, maybe as a writer, because to write that many books, he's had to have spent a hell of a lot of time alone. I know I spend too much time alone, especially on weekends, when I'm not working my day job. If I didn't have that day job, I'd probably go weeks without leaving the house. Never read anything from Joe Hill. I've seen that Horns movie on Netflix (not watched it) but I had no idea! Will have to check it out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:28:26 PM by Vogel »

Offline Vogel

« Reply #1974 on: March 28, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »
If you put a gun to my head ;), I'd probably say The Shining. I love that book. It was such a pleasant surprise reading the ending, especially after seeing the movie.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:33:11 PM by Vogel »

Offline Frogg

• Let there be tea.
« Reply #1975 on: March 28, 2015, 10:03:35 PM »
Yet again, I'm reading Arcadia - Tom Stoppard. The characters, the dialogue, the atmosphere.

As close to imperfect perfection as it gets.
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters... it's amazing I'm here at all. - Bernard Black

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1976 on: March 29, 2015, 04:57:21 AM »
Good point about the isolation theme. The Shining too, a family isolated through winter, and Misery, a writer isolated with a psychopath. I wonder if it stems from his own feelings of isolation, maybe as a writer, because to write that many books, he's had to have spent a hell of a lot of time alone. I know I spend too much time alone, especially on weekends, when I'm not working my day job. If I didn't have that day job, I'd probably go weeks without leaving the house. Never read anything from Joe Hill. I've seen that Horns movie on Netflix (not watched it) but I had no idea! Will have to check it out.

In On Writing, King mentions a childhood illness that confined him to bed, a period during which he read a lot of books. I've often wondered if this is the source of this awareness of how being isolated from the mainstream makes people behave differently.

- Robert Burns

Offline Vienna

« Reply #1977 on: March 29, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »
Biography of Eleanor Marx - Rachel Holmes

one of the first strong women that spoke out about rights and translated a lot of french novels into english for the first time.
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Clarius

« Reply #1978 on: April 04, 2015, 03:22:13 PM »
Week #14/Book #14. Enid Blyton: The Biography by Barbara Stoney.

- Robert Burns

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #1979 on: April 04, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »
The Stand is my favorite King book.

Just got done reading Dennis Lehane's Live by Night. Fantastic sophisto crime noir set in 1920s Boston, Tampa and Cuba, about the rise and fall of a young gangster. Just gripping stuff. Will definitely be checking out his other books. I love historicals written in a modern style - it's what I do -- so I learned a lot from his stuff.

Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.