Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 340769 times)

Offline mouselady

• View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 03:51:39 PM »
Two - no three - on the go (and surprisingly, I'm not making much progress with any of them  ;D)

Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Travelled (how to write poetry)

Bodies at Rest and in Motion (or is it in Motion and at Rest?) by Thomas Lynch, the Irish-American poet and undertaker

Storm Front by Jim Butcher - it's the first of The Dresden Files, a series of novels about Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book   8)  They made a telly series based on the books; think I prefer the series, strangely enough (normally it's the other way around)

Listen to 'Book It!' for author interviews, book reviews, original stories, and more on the last Saturday of the month, 10 -11 am GMT, on Sine FM, 102.6 on your radio dial, or www.sinefm.com

My dark fantasy, "The Woodcutter's Son", is available on Amazon.

Blog: sheilanorth.wordpress.com

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »
I'm on a news kick right now. US elections, a new nation in Europe (Kosovo), global economic data, and everything Paul Krugman has to say in the NYT.

Oh, and I do consult the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" to figure out why my 2.5-year-old has suddenly started waking us up at 6 a.m.  :)
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline SteveJ

• A Writer's Christmas - Out Now!
    • View Profile
    • Salvatore Publishing
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 04:24:41 PM »
The Beano?  ;D

I dunno, The Golden Fleece, perhaps?
A Writer's Christmas:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4931358

The Horde - Available Now:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4076371

Offline ellie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 04:43:06 PM »
Is it from Homer Domenic..The Iliad or Odyssey?

Im cheating by having 2 guesses.. :-[ :D
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
I'll make a narrower guess at it being from The Odyssey.

We did bits of it at school and that rings a bell.   A faint bell for it was a long time ago, but a bell nonetheless.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »
The little self-published book has long since been lost, but for years we had a booklet called Vagabond by the Tramp/Writer Jim Phelan.  One of the stories in there was called Homer and I.

Jim had recently (not long before he died in the late 60s) had a couple of good reviews for one of his numerous books and one of the critics had lavishly said 'Homer's mantle has fallen upon Phelan's shoulders'.  Being a pretty pragmatic sort of fellow he didn't let this praise go to his head but put forward a pretty erudite case for Homer being a wanderer as well and therefore often an eyewitness of historic events rather than just a storyteller.  'So what they are really saying is that Homer and I were both tramps."

I wish I still had that little booklet ;-(

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline dynodreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 01:41:34 AM »
Sadly I have for so many years, not been a reader.
The only things I used to read were periodicals dealing with music creation - Keyboard and Guitar Player, that sort of thing.
Then when I discovered I had writing abilities I bought a years subscription to The Writer mag.
Through this, I was then admonished that I would be foolish to ignore reading as a mental exercise.
At the moment I'm reading, (albeit much too slowly) two novels about time travel, with an interest in quantum physics and implementing a plausibility factor into my own story on the subject.  [Also a few Steven Hawkings writings.]

Michael Crichton - Timeline
John Twelve Hawks - The Traveller
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isnít any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]

Offline Age

• Oh R'lyeh? Cthul story, bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 02:39:16 AM »
Is that a handbook of zombie killing techniques?
Do you know something the rest of us don't, Age?

The book is neat, I heard good things, and when I have some Barnes & Noble Gift cards...hey hey!

I'm not going to say anything, but I WILL say it is vital to always have an up-to-date Zombie Plan.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Don't forget to check out Flash Fiction Challenge #109!

PaulW

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 06:53:18 AM »
'Never let me go' by Kazuo Ishiguro.

It's the account of some kids growing up in a school in England. As it progresses you discover they are all clones who are to be harvested for body parts. The 'donations' form a central part of their lives. Quite gruesome in some ways, mostly because of the acceptance of this by the kids. I'd recommend it.

Offline jeanette

• View Profile
    • jeanette's website
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »
I'm reading 'the husband' by Dean Koontz. I've just discovered him, and I'm devouring everything he's ever done.
Also, his front covers and synopses are a lesson in how to get folk to buy your book. They're superb.
\"Abandoned\" is available from www.lulu.com/content/2072117<br /><br />\"the Dragon\'s Promise is available from<br />www.lulu.com/content/8075592<br />visit my website at www.jeanettemccarthy.co.uk

Offline Ken100

• The Devil and Edward Teach - Out now.
    • View Profile
    • Ken Preston
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 08:33:18 AM »
I'm not going to say anything, but I WILL say it is vital to always have an up-to-date Zombie Plan.

Okay, you convinced me. I'm stocking the house up with food and water supplies, some serious hardware and ammunition, and watching all of George Romero's films back to back until armaggedon breaks.

Cheers,
Ken  :o
Let me format your book for Kindle. 20% Discount for MWC Members.
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,44874.new.html#new

Follow me on Twitter; @kenpreston100<br /><br />
http://www.kenpreston.co.uk

Offline SarahC

• a pic that actually looks like me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 08:52:26 AM »
I've only got 2 on the go at the moment...

The Subtle Knife (Pt 2 of His Dark Materials), by Philip Pullman - this is the story Jonno is having before bed.  He's so into it that he's even going to bed earlier so he can get at least a chapter a night.

I'm reading Andrew Lycett's biography of Arthur Conan Doyle, which I'm really enjoying.

Sarah x

Offline ellie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii292/Ellie56_Frances/000_tatar2.jpg

Couldn't resist this Sarah, you mentioned Philip Pullman..this is my son in the film 'The Golden Compass' (taken from Pullman's books)
elliex

p.s. the Conan Doyle biography sounds interesting!
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline SarahC

• a pic that actually looks like me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 01:24:16 PM »
Great Pic of your son Ellie.

The Conan Doyle biography is quite thick, but is very enjoyable.

Sarah x

Offline CollegeGuy

• You'll call it fate, I'll call it karma
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »
I've got a few series going...

I just finished up "One Shot" by Lee Child and "Pain Management" by Andrew Vachss (as well as his online novel "A Bomb Built in Hell")

I'm in the middle of "Rain Fall" by Barry Eisler, the first of the John Rain Series
And I'm about to start "Pale Fire" By Vladimir Nabokov, which was suggested to me and I picked up a copy for free!

~~Collegeguy~~
This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In...