Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 503785 times)

Offline GypsyInk

• Writing is the dance of words upon the page.
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »
I am reading Power, Faith, and Fantasy by Michael B. Oren, a book on relations between America and the Middle East from 1776 to the present.

And I always carry my copy of The Essential Rumi translations by Coleman Barks. 
They who dance are thought mad by those that hear not the music . . .

Offline Vaneeza

• Can I be your little rock & roll queen?
    • Perfect Match
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2008, 07:26:23 AM »
Reading: The third book of the series His Dark Materials (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, & Amber Spyglass).

Opinion: Much better than I thought it was going to be. Have not seen the US movie. Not for the philosophically/religiously challenged. Each book progressively becomes more obvious with plot lines to poke holes in notions of the almighty/supreme being. How any given reader responds will entirely depend on their view of things. There are groups vocally opposed to the series and the movie simply based on this one facet. (These are the same people who protest at Harry Potter too.) For those who don't get bogged down in such matters, the series is very entertaining. It's intended for young adult readers, so an adult may find the plot a bit predictable, but still engaging. Some of the peak dramas & tensions are resolved quite fast.

There are many other interesting themes in the book completely outside religion vs. atheism. Innocence vs. Experience, Children vs. Adults, What makes us "us"? Scientific principles from quantum physics are woven all throughout the series, such as multiple parallel universes where different events have created different realities.

Vanee-

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2008, 05:01:52 PM »
Really liked that trilogy Vaneeza, it was a very easy and enjoyable read.

I’m still currently ploughing my way through  “The Great Book of Amber”  all 10 books by Roger Zelazny in one volume.  :o

Andrew
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
The bookshop had a sale today.

Nine bucks for Frankenstein, Dracula, The Canterbury Tales, Grimm's Fairy Tales, and a couple of Oscar Wilde's plays.

How crazy is that?!

But as I already had some of them, I'm currently reading into Grimm's Tales and A Woman of No Importance.

Offline Vaneeza

• Can I be your little rock & roll queen?
    • Perfect Match
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2008, 02:44:06 AM »
Just finished Mark Bowden's "The Best Game Ever," on the 1958 Colts-Giants championship game that was excerpted in SI a few weeks ago.

As the SI excerpt showed, the in-depth profiles of Raymond Berry dominated this book. Not knowing much background about the guy, I thought that part of it was outstanding. And while there's a whole chapter dedicated to Sam Huff and the evolution of Tom Landry's Giants defense, the book is definitely focused more on the winning team. So if you're an old Baltimore Colts fan, you'll probably love it.

The TV broadcast of the game didn't survive, but NBC has the radio play-by-play intact and Bowden liberally sprinkles in the transcript during the course of the game.

Lot of great material from Berry, Artie Donovan (of course), Gino Marchetti, etc. I breezed through this thing in a couple of nights.

And of interest here: Bowden dedicated the book to David Halberstam, who apparently was researching the same topic for his own book when he died last year. Bowden explains that story in the epilogue.

Well recommended, and not just for football fans.

Offline simonjjames

• Rem tene, verba sequenter
    • Res Ipsa Loquitur
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2008, 04:30:08 AM »
Just finished 'Trick of the Mind' - Derren Brown. It was very, very good and gives a good inriduction to many techniques used by illusionists, hypnotists, magicians and charlatans.

Offline allyrose

« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2008, 04:21:16 PM »
I'm on the sixth book of the Mitford Series, about a small town minister and all his flock and how much fun it is following each and everyone from the start.  It is written by Jan Karon.  Just an easy read but fun.

Offline McWawa

« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2008, 10:40:51 AM »
Travel Writing : See the world and Sell the story.

by L. Peat O'Neal
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline GypsyInk

« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2008, 02:17:13 AM »
Something in the Way She Moves by Wendy Buonaventura, an exploration of women in dance from Salome to Madonna

Offline TristanNewsome

• www.myspace.com/tristannewsome
    • www.myspace.com/tristannewsome
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2008, 02:20:28 AM »
Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski and a collection of poems by Rimbaud
God tried to get me on his side, somewhere between his first and last lie

Offline alec

« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2008, 03:19:09 AM »
the gift - Lewis Hyde

Narnian Prince

« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2008, 03:25:12 AM »
Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis  We went and saw the movie on Friday and my 12 and 9 year old daughters immediately found more than 20 fatal flaws that Disney screwed up on just to get their blood lust in.  So far, in the book, I've found more than a dozen.  Why doesn't Disney (and Hollyweird) go by the book or try to get some semblance to the original material in their movies?  :D

Offline GypsyInk

« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2008, 09:25:41 PM »
I agree with you on Prince Caspian, NP. I am usually disappointed in films "inspired" by books. I've often wondered if that's true with most writers? Finding what goes on in our heads when we read is far more entertaining than what we are shown on the screen?

I picked up a used copy of Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast today. I am banning myself from the used book store for one month.

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »
I'm on to a self-help revival. No one else is going to save me.

I'm still reading Stephen King's On Writing, A Memoir of the Craft. I've been too busy with other research but will get back to it when the leisurely summer reading starts in a few weeks.

Yesterday I purchased the 20th Anniversary Edition of Getting the Love You Want By Harville Hendrix, Ph.D. My husband and I attended a three day retreat several years ago based on his IMAGO therapy and I must say it saved our marriage. Lifeboat anyone?

Last week I started reading Emotional Alchemy How the Mind can Heal the Heart by Tara Bennett-Goleman. An excellent book once you get past chapter three and what feels like a lot of Dalai Lama name dropping. This book combines Buddhist wisdom with mindfulness to conquer self defeating habits. It familiarizes you with schema therapy (now I want a refund from all of my therapists) and how to be aware of the thoughts and patterns ingrained into your brain from previous experiences that automatically cause you to react and re-play self defeating habits like broken records. The breathing exercises alone have already calmed me through what would have been full blown anxiety attacks.

My childhood history of abandonment and feeling unlovable has haunted me and negatively affected my adult life in ways I never realized possible causing me to be over sensitive to the slightest symbolism of abandonment, or unlovability, real or imagined. This book explains the hows and whys and gives you the tools to deal with the emotions that screw with your mind without reacting to them so that you can explore where they came from, acknowledge them and file them away where they belong. This is called being mindful. Thank you Tara.

I highly recommend this book to anyone struggling with self defeating habits. Especially those that you seem to fall back into on the slightest trigger no matter how hard you try not to get sucked in to the emotional vortex.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline allyrose

« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »
Hi DGSquared:

Your childhood sounds just like mine.  I'm a senior now, and I still have not conquered all my demons, but I'm getting there. 

I have found that my relationship with my children is great, but I always have the feeling that eventually they will get fed up with me and leave me.

I will certainly get the book by Tara Bennett-Goleman.

Right now I am reading a book By Mehmet C. Oz Md.  It's an insider's guide to the Body that will you healthier and younger.